walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Braeriach in Winter

Braeriach in Winter

Postby The_Mountain_Goat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:00 am

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach

Date walked: 26/01/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 26 km

23 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's not easy to feel remote outoors in the UK; such is the latticework of tarmac that to be more than a few km or hours from a road is actually quite a hard task to accomplish. The Cairngorms are one of the few exceptions, a series of huge rounded mountains sculpted by great coires and deep valleys. No public roads penetrate the interior just a few estate tracks which fizzle out into the wilderness. Spending any time in the Cairngorms is an adventure, and in winter especially so; the season clings strongly to these mountains, harder and harsher than anywhere else in the UK, defending them against intrusion in the short hours of daylight; it also turns them into one of the most beautiful landscapes we have.

My friend Laurence had suggested we take a big day walk into the middle of the gorms, taking advantage of a good weather window promising clear skies and little wind. We were to be joined by Sarah and Nick the latter on his first visit to these mighty mountains.

IMG_6240.JPG
Coire an Lochain

The route we had picked out was to take us through some of the most spectacular and wild terrain Scotland has to offer. Starting from the sugar bowl parking we would wind our way below the great northern coires of Cairn Gorm, through the Chalamain Gap, and into the huge valley of the Liarig Ghru; we would then climb the southern ridge of the huge bulk of Braeriach; Britains third highest mountain and a vast upland plateau of sub-arctic tundra.

To return we would drop into huge An Garbh Coire which takes a great bite out of the eastern side of Braeriach before returning to the car by traversing the watershead of the River Dee up out through the Liarig Ghru.

IMG_6242.JPG
The northern coires

The morning is cold and clear with a light dusting of snow covering the heather as we follow a good path gently rising across the mountainside towards the Chalamain Gap. The coires of Sneachda and Lochain, winter playground of countless climbers appear stark against the southern skyline, buttresses black and stark against the white snow filling the gullies.

As the sun rises the sky become tinged with pink as whisps of cloud catch the first rays of the day. The light feels cold though the icy crunch of the gravel underfoot and the streams of breath condensing in the air hints at the conditions outside our thermals and warm winter boots.

IMG_6252_2.JPG
Morning glow

The Chalamain gap is a chaotic jumble of boulders cast haphazardly against each other choking the deep narrow notch between Lurchers Crag and Creag Chalamain. Moving through them is a constant full body experiance weaving left and right climbing up and down, a hand hold here a knee used there. The powder decorating the boulders hides some of the gaps creating a trap for the poorly placed foot.

The gap end suddenly the hilside opening out looking down on the edge of the forest of Rothiemurchus as it fizzles out climbing the mountainside. Dropping down from the gap into the head of the Liarig Ghru it becomes very boggy underfoot as the ground tries to decide if it wants to be a stream or a path. Slowly to the left the great U-shaped valley of the Liarig Ghru propper opens out starkly symetrical curving slowly round into the middle distance.

IMG_6263_2.JPG
Looking east from the Chalamain Gap towards the Pass of Ryvoan

IMG_6277_2.JPG
The Liarig Ghru

In the foot of the valley we breifly follow the stream uphill allong the floor of the ravine until it disappears underground bubbling out of a jumble of boulders. Soon after this a path breaks of right and begins the long climb onto the mountain whilst offering spectacular view over towards Glen Eanaich and a snow draped Sgor Gaoaith. By the time we reach the shoulder of Sron na Lairige the forcast has gone well out the window; cloud rolling in from the south envelopes us and the wind picks up whipping the warmth from any exposed skin.

Shortly before the summit I get my first experience of a full complete whiteout; snow and sky blend seamlessly together cloaking us in all directions with not a single speck of black or colour to indicate up from down, or north from south. Thoughts of the of the great cliffs and possible monster cornices off somewhere to our left stir uneasily in my mind but after a short bit of compass work we see boulders agin poking up through the snow and later the summit cairn itself.

IMG_6290_2.JPG
Sgor Gaoaith towers over Glen Eanaich

IMG_6296_2.JPG
The Liarig Ghru from the shoulder of Sron na Lairige

Here we meet two other walkers who are planing to traverse on towards the Devils Point before dropping down to spend the night at Corrour bothy. We snatch a few words over the wind which blast in our faces and the turn in the hope of descending quickly to find some shelter. Initial plans to locate the top of West Gully a simple grade one snow slope and decend into Choire Bhrochain are abandoned as suicidal because even in these low snow coditions the cornice overhanging the gully is huge and were not carrying a rope to protect the unfortunate "volenteer with the ice axe" required to smash a way through. A much more sensible route off the plateau is down the broad slope between Coire Bhrochain and Garbh Choire Dhaidh.

This proves to be a gloriously easy decent first down good neve then down softer but still good snow which extends down and down toward the floor of the coire far below. Sarah and I who both have skis back at our cottage think of what might have been a truly great decent off the mountain. We take a baring from the top of the slope aiming off slightly above An Garbh bothy a tiny shelter far below where we hope to stop for lunch

IMG_6298.JPG
Laurence in the whiteout near to the summit

IMG_6301.jpg
Laurence, Nick, and Sarah taking a break half way down the snow-slope.

An Garbh Coire is renown for collecting vast quantities of snow blown in off the high plateau to the west. Here many snow patches will last well into summer and in some of the sheltered corners high up in the coire the snow has only melted five times in the last hundred years. The wind blown snow also creates cornices of stupendous size. It also contains Coire na Lochain Uaine hanging above the main coire seemingly almost inaccessible from below protected by incredibly steep slopes.

Down in the coire however snow appears to be in short supply with plenty of tufts of heather poking through, and the ground relatively unfrozen such as been the uncharacteristically warm and dry weather the past few months. The bothy, which is actually just a small shelter constructed from boulders over a metal frame is easily visible in the light covering and we stop to brew up a hot chocolate and catch a bite to eat. Sat outside the bothy Reactor pan bubbling away I realise this is probably the most remote place I have ever been in my life, its an exciting feeling to be here isolated yet inspired.

IMG_6319.jpg
Looking into An Garbh Coire, the inaccessible hanging Coire an Lochain Uaine to the left

IMG_6331_2.JPG
South from the Pools of Dee the summit of the Liarig Ghru

We traverse the side of the coire out toward the Liarig Ghru the huge wall of Ben Mcdui directly ahead of us until crossing the infant River Dee here little more than a burn we turn north and towards the summit of the pass and the Pools of Dee. The path rises to a gentle summit where the burn emerges from a snow bank just blow a couple of small pools which are still free of ice. From here the valley curves out of sight to the north almost perfectly uniform slopes rising both left and right.

An abiding memory of the next few miles is rocks, rocks, rocks, a succession of scrambling through a mass of snow covered boulders slipping this way and that and then disappearing up to my knees in a snow drift. Despite this it's my first time in the Liarig Ghru and its an awe-inspiring place both in scale and in it's desolate beauty. The walls tower above us some times broken by crags or split by tasty looking gully's full of snow and ice, adventures for another day.

IMG_6332_2.JPG
Looking north from the summit of the Liarig Ghru

We still have the gap before us but half a pack of Haribo provides a sugar fuelled spurt of power to see me up and through. Retracing ours steps from the gap and with the dying of the light around us and our legs tired from the days efforts our thought turn to an evening of pie and beer, proper food after a propper days work.
The_Mountain_Goat
Stravaiging

Munros:46   Corbetts:14
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:48   

Re: Braeriach in Winter

Postby Redrock » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:35 am

A really well written report, TMG, and a fantastic day out on the hills! :D I loved your literary style and you've got some great pics there too! You really do Braeriach justice! Thanks! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Alastair S » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:03 am

Wonderful report :thumbup:

Braeriach is an really awesome mountain and this report does it justice. Just a shame you missed out on the summit views. I turned back last winter due to the prospect of a summit white-out but still had a great day - then bagged it in the summer from the Loch Eanaich side.

That 'Liarig Ghru from the shoulder of Sron na Lairige' photo is outstanding - you should enter it in our little photo comp thread.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby tony.cee » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:51 pm

some breathtaking photos, especially ''The Liarig Ghru from the shoulder of Sron na Lairige''.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby jmarkb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Nice report!

For anyone wanting to follow this route, it's possible to avoid the rocks in the Chalamain Gap by sticking to its upper edge on the Creag a'Chalamain (NW) side: there is a faint path and the extra height gain is only about 20m.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Great story :D Thanks for sharing!
It is a long walk, especially in winter. We did Braeriach via the same route but in spring, there was still quite a bit of snow on the summit plateau but the day was great, blue sky and not much wind. I can imagine it's much more a challenge in whiteout conditions!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby DEADEVEN » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:32 pm

crackin report mate and having done this myself in winter(again whiteout at the summit)
i give you much respect sir! great photos too :D
DEADEVEN
Munro compleatist

Munros:226   

Postby GariochTom » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Great report; I like the poetic language and the pictures of the Lairig Ghru especially.

jmarkb wrote:
For anyone wanting to follow this route, it's possible to avoid the rocks in the Chalamain Gap by sticking to its upper edge on the Creag a'Chalamain (NW) side: there is a faint path and the extra height gain is only about 20m.

Thanks for the tip to avoid the rocks - I didn't enjoy negotiating them when I went through the Gap!
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby KeithS » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:00 pm

I really enjoyed reading that. :clap:
It took me back to my Cairngorm crossing, also in white-out conditions on the summit of Braeriach
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby The_Mountain_Goat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback, it was a really enjoyable day and i'm glad people enjoyed reading about it; we had some brilliant light in the early morning which really helped with the photos.
The_Mountain_Goat
Stravaiging

Munros:46   Corbetts:14
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:48   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:30 pm

Don't know how I missed this first time around but I'm glad it won TR of the month so I got to see it. What a great report and beautiful photos to capture it - congrats on the well deserved TR of the month :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby weemistermac » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:50 pm

I agree with previous comments - that photo of the Lairig Ghru is stunning. If it were for sale I'd haggle for a copy! :lol:

I seem to one of only a few who actually enjoy the Chalamain Gap. Although it's definitely more of a challenge wearing a big overnight pack and trying to carry a 35kg labrador!
weemistermac

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Amazing!!!

Sorry I missed the original post!!!

Well done on winning WOTM :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:23 pm

I also missed this first time around and am so glad to have had the chance to enjoy it now. Your photos are stunning and along with the excellent account of your trip it makes a very worthy winner. :D

Well done! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby kevsbald » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 am

Stonking.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

23 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland