walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Bheithir

Beinn a'Bheithir

Postby rockhopper » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 04/03/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1300m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hills: Sgorr Dhonuill, Sgorr Dhearg
Date: Sunday 4 March 2012
Distance: 13km
Ascent: 1,300m
Attendees: me

For a variety of reasons it had been nearly four months since I’d last set foot on a munro and I was keen to get back out again. Needed an early start from Ballachulish as I had to be back in Glasgow by mid afternoon to get to Ikea. :silent: No other cars in the car park when I set off. Weather looking promising until only about ten minutes later the snow started so stopped for waterproofs. :roll: It didn’t last too long before the sky started to clear – stopped again to remove waterproofs and take a few photos.

That’s when I discovered that my camera wasn’t working. :( I could view the previous photos on the memory card but it wouldn’t switch over to allow my take pictures. Fished out some new batteries but no difference - probably moisture or condensation inside it as it has now started working again. :eh: This stop had taken too long and I needed to get going again. Anyway, that’s my excuse for the poor quality of photos as I had to use the camera on my phone instead….being someone who prefers to speak to people or [very] occasionally send a text, it’s a basic phone with a basic camera.

I was starting to feel the effects of a lack of recent walking – that said, the going was relatively easy and I was soon out the forest into more open ground.

I kept stopping to try the camera and carried it out of the case hoping it would start to work but to no avail. The path stops on exiting the trees but there’s a fence which leads up to the bealach between the two hills.

A wee bit boggy in places but the recent snow made for some good views.

Got to the bealach. There was hardly any wind and the snow was probably insulating the sound – total silence – could’ve heard a pin drop.

First up Sgorr Dhonuill.

Clear views and I could see where I was going. Was a wee bit worried about the final section especially under some new snow. On the way up there was some snow cornicing but easily avoided.

Not far from the top, I could see cloud rolling in so stopped for a few photos.

Over to Sgorr Dhearg

Now in the clag, went carefully over the last bit just before the top and then no views at the top.

Stopped for a time but it wasn’t going to clear so headed back down to the bealach.

The weather was intermittently clearing and I could occasionally see where I was going next. Fairly easy walk up to the top of Sgorr Dhearg – slippy and rocky in places but nothing difficult.

Stopped for a bit again but the clag started to roll in.

Snow cornicing from just below the summit of Sgorr Dhearg.

The plan had been to return northwards down the ridge from Sgorr Dhearg. However, given that I now couldn’t see anything in that direction, I decided just to head back down to the bealach and return the same way.

Over to Sgorr Dhonuill

Before I reached the forest section I saw a large party of walkers in the distance heading up – didn’t manage to speak with them though as we’d taken different lines and were too far apart.

Got back into the trees and the sleet came on in earnest. Good to be back out on a fairly straightforward walk - I’d carried my ice axe, crampons, walking poles, microspikes and gaiters but hadn’t needed them at all.

Passing through Glencoe I saw the yellow helicopter out – the weather was very variable, blue sky and sun one minute to snow/sleet and clag the next. Got to Ikea in plenty time. :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Beinn a'Bheithir

Postby Alan S » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Nice report rockhopper, Shame about the camera but your pics still look good to me 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby andyfitz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:50 pm

Wow. Camera problems? Some stunning pictures there of one of my favourite walks. The cornice photo - and a few of the others - I like VERY much. 8)
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby jonny616 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:51 pm

Excellent read RH, Glad you are back out again 8) Gone soft though, not the full horseshoe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Your photos are grand by the way. The cornice looked well dodgy
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:29 am

Great report RH. :D

I loved these two hills but missed out on the horseshoe too because of poor visibilty :(

Good to see that you're out and about again, not so good to hear that you had to rush back for IKEA!!!! :( :( :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:22 am

Great to see you back out among the Munros Rockhopper, looks a fair wander for a 'first in several months'.....I'd have done half :lol: shame about the camera but the phone cam has done a fine job as a back up.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby morag1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:44 am

Not sure what happened about your camera but the photos are still great, really give a feel for the walk

Did you get your shopping done ok :lol:
morag1

Postby dooterbang » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Good to see you back on the Munro trail :)

Do Ikea sell cameras :lol:

Nice walk this and one i should do again.

Looking forward to more reports, and longer routes once the old fitness is tippy top.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:16 pm

alan s wrote:Shame about the camera
thanks - seems to be working again now but not sure I trust it 8)
andyfitz wrote:The cornice photo
yup - don't think I'd go too near the edge of it though :D
jonny616 wrote:Gone soft though, not the full horseshoe
There was a sign at the car park stating no access to the horseshoe due to logging operations until April (that's my excuse anyway :lol: )
pollyh33 wrote:not so good to hear that you had to rush back for IKEA
a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do :lol:
ChrisW wrote:Great to see you back out among the Munros
certainly is - not quite the snow conditions that you have though :D
morag1 wrote:Did you get your shopping done ok :lol:
glad to say I did thanks :D
dooterbang wrote:Do Ikea sell cameras Looking forward to more reports, and longer routes once the old fitness is tippy top.
Didn't see any cameras in Ikea :lol: I do have a few plans for the rest of the year....we'll see :?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 pm

This has been one of my favourite walks so far along with many others. Very difficult to put them in order but it's up there. Cheers :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby pigeon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:07 pm

Aw naw!Ikea is actual hell on earth,would have stayed up there all night to avoid that :lol: Good to see you back out RH,great hills these,shame about your camera-still good pics with the phone though :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi Rockhopper

Nothing wrong wi the picture's good report good to see you out and about.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Thought this was a great report rockhopper and the pics look good to me too. Very atmospheric. Funny how before you know it months have passed since you've been out walking - I know that feeling and how good it is to get back out. Great for clearing the mind from all the nonsense of daily life :wtf:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby nathan79 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:32 pm

Looks like you had a great day out. A real bugger about the camera but those pics are fine enough.

I've done this pair twice, both decent days out (even accounting for the fact that i'd left my waterproof trousers in the car on the second time and most definitely needed them)
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Jock McJock » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:07 pm

nathan79 wrote:Looks like you had a great day out. A real bugger about the camera but those pics are fine enough.

I've done this pair twice, both decent days out (even accounting for the fact that i'd left my waterproof trousers in the car on the second time and most definitely needed them)

Don't really think your waterproofs would have made much difference that day Nathan :lol: :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland