walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sheffield Pike plus

Sheffield Pike plus

Postby Phooooey » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Birkhouse Moor, Glenridding Dodd, Sheffield Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Sheffield Pike

Date walked: 05/03/2012

Time taken: 5.3

Distance: 12.4 km

Ascent: 999m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glenridding - Glenridding Dodd - Sheffield Pike - Red Tarn - Birkhouse Moor - Glenridding

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A couple of days after our lovely (if wet) trip to Kinlochleven and I was itching to continue my break from work by knocking over a few more homely fells. A few weeks ago we (Damson, me and my mate John) missed Glenridding Dodd & Sheffield Pike in the snow after a shocking number of walking faux pars were made so I set off to amend this travesty.

I parked at the pub at the top of Glenridding (or on road just after it) and headed up to the row of cottages that line the road heading to the YMCA. Between the sets of cottages we clambered up a quite steep section to find the col between Glenridding Dodd & Heron Pike. I made very hard work of this and had to stop every few yards but Damson was already into 4 paw drive mode and ended up running up and down to encourage me to carry on. From the col it was a short hop right up onto the Dodd itself with lovely views over Ullswater and down over the village.

DSC_0032.JPG
Damson on Glenridding Dodd
DSC_0034.JPG
Sheffield Pike from Glenridding Dodd

We then returned and went up left and the ascent up onto Heron & Sheffield Pikes and up above the snow line which was clearly seen on all the fells in this area of the district. Some lovely views out towards Helvellyn and St Sundays Crag and back towards Ullswater and the north past Hart Side which we visited only 3 or 4 weeks previous.

DSC_0038.JPG
Ullswater from Heron Pike
DSC_0043.JPG
Glenridding Dodd & village from Heron Pike
DSC_0060.JPG
Tarn near summit of Sheffield Pike
Sheffield Pike Panorama.jpg
Sheffield Pike Panorama
DSC_0067.JPG
Towards Hart Side from Sheffield Pike
DSC_0063.JPG
Damson on Sheffield Pike summit

On way back down towards the YMCA , I realised it was still fairly early and decided to bag Birkhouse Moor (another one I missed from a previous walk (Helvellyn & Raise blog) by not realising it was a Wainwright until returning home.

DSC_0070.JPG
Heading down to ascent path for Red Tarn
DSC_0072.JPG
Waterfall on Red Tarn ascent path

This meant crossing the beck above the YMCA and heading right up the long zig zag slog upto the stunning Red Tarn.
I've grown quite fond of this area over the last 18 months as all my visits here and to Helvellyn have fallen on beautiful days despite most not being anywhere near summer. Today was no exception even though the entire area had a fantastic white dusting.

DSC_0082.JPG
Damson at Red Tarn
Red Tarn Snow panorama.jpg
Red Tarn panorama
DSC_0085.JPG
Red Tarn in snow and sun

After grabbing a small bite to eat and a number of photos we headed towards the hole in the wall and left along the wall to the top of Birkhouse Moor before descending down a few thousand stone steps back to Glenridding Village. (Severe jelly legs by the time we got back to the car).

DSC_0088.JPG
Damson on Birkhouse Moor
DSC_0097.JPG
Looking across valley at initial ascent path

Great walk in great weather and good conditions for most of my photos (won't complain about the sun but it has created some haze and unwanted effects on some taken today).
Attachments
Heron Pike Panorama.jpg
Heron Pike Panorama
Last edited by Phooooey on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Sheffield Pike plus

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Craig, glad you and Damson were able to get these completed in such wonderful weather :D

So enjoyed reading your report and some brilliant photos. Particularly like the ones of Ullswater from Heron Pike, Damson on Sheffield Pike summit and Red Tarn in snow and sun :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Nice report and lovely pics. Looking to get over the Lakes this weekend. Might just do Sheffield Pike having read that.
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Woops
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Great report JK and lovely pics to accompany it, that first one is a beauty - it looks like a book cover :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland