walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Option B: Second choice for a 50th Birthday

Option B: Second choice for a 50th Birthday

Postby jimandandrea » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Date walked: 28/02/2012

Time taken: 6.48 hours

Distance: 13.8 km

Ascent: 1063m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

OK I accept that we have been spoiled on previous years on our Feb week in Scotland, however this was my 50th birthday - why could conditions not be perfect. I've been good (sometimes). Actually, I spent my actual birthday at the Ice Factor at Kinlochleven which was absolutely superb. Not having ice climbed before we opted for instruction and young Connor was given the task of showing us how it should be done ..... we then did a version of how it could be done!
Andrea's first climb

Me hanging on for dear life!!

Can I just say - what a fantastic afternoon we had there - Glasses raised for a great 50th birthday experience.
ANYWAY
The alternative was a wet day on the hills, which we put off till the next day!
We opted to approach from the Glen Etive side - a route detailed by Stretch on June 2011. As we drove along Glencoe and down into Glen Etive - things looked promising.
Stob Dearg: Maybe a better option!

We parked and made our way through the forest track - we were making good time. Maybe we weren't the slowest walkers on WH? My GPS said 3.1mph - excellent. Oh..... wait a minute..... are we going that way?
Obstacle 1
After a detour through the forest we looked back
That's no right.

This was the storm damage which they had not put on their 'to do' list. Oh well. Plod on.
There were 6 obstacles in total however as you went along each one I had in my mind - 'I just hope we do not come across one that we just cannot get over/round/through'.
As we left the forest the weather closed in: the rain started and the clag came down - it was not officially dreich!
I really would like to show you the views but this is really as good as it got:

This is one of the few times I had to go into change and put dry clothes on and carry on - but I did today.
We opted for the fence posts as a handrail, which turned out to be correct and it did mean we felt a little reassured that we were on the right tracks.
Eventually, the top was reached.

Smile - I am now 50 (+1 day)!

As we descended we had a wee visitor who flew in to wish me happy birthday -
Can't be exactly sure but I am sure that was the jist.

Can I say that the way up was..... wet and the way down was..... er...... as wet.

Never mind - obstacle course to come....
Done!

We would just like to thank Stretch for his report, and his pictures, that allowed us to see what we should have been looking at. It could have been very good actually.
Right....... home and shower methinks!
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Option B: Second choice for a 50th Birthday

Postby kevsbald » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:40 pm

A very happy birthday to you - love the shot of Stob Dearg - beautiful light.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mrssanta » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Happy birthday to youuuuuu :clap:
very inconvenient getting born in February, maybe you need an official birtday like the queen for a good hilll day
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Stretch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:24 am

Happy Birthday to you! Glad my efforts helped someone else. I found this to be grueling once I verged off the good track at the end of the forest. I think I was still trying to get back into hill-shape after several weeks away. The views I had were pretty stunning though. Given the conditions you guys walked I can only say well done!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby fraochydug » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:27 am

Happy Belated Birthday!
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby jimandandrea » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks for the Birthday wishes. Appreciated. :thumbup: Trying not to think of it as 50, more like 40+10. :D :D
(or maybe occasionally 8 + 42!) :roll:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Fudgie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:55 pm

Having photographed Stob Dearg I've never had light like you did in the first picture. That was a very good read.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland