walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Linn of Dee,with me & jb

Linn of Dee,with me & jb

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 04/03/2012

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 660m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Its been a fair few weeks since I last posted a TR, even though I have been out with a few fellow WH members in that time,mainly jonny 616,pollyh33,alan s,tomyboy,rocket-ron,leithy suburbs & tomsie.When so many people all do the same walk we have always agreed that only one person will post a TR and then the others just add their pics & or post a reply,but not this time,this time it was only me & jb likes a beer(and he does)as WH members who are heading for Kintail at the end of the month will no doubt find out.

Anyway lets get on with my report & less faffing about,picked jb up 6.00am & were pulling into Linn of Dee around 8.15am,we had been hoping to meet monty for this one,but I had got a txt message late Sat saying "sorry cant make this one"(probably frightened by the pace I would set :lol: ) Anyway while jb & me were getting ready for the off I noticed another car parked near by with the windows all steamed up :think: and who should pop out the back but Mountain Thyme & MGMT,greetings were exchanged with the usual where you going,where you been,nice to see you again,have a good day,and off we set.
20 min into the walk the conversation went ME"ever thought you have forgoten something"JB"naw mate"ME "just a feeling mate"JB "ach"ME"aye jst a feeling"...........EH that feeling,where"s my camera,bag off and a brisk jog back & there it was,sitting on the roof of the car :wtf: a quick about turn and a not so quick walk back to catch up with jb.

Once back with jb,the walking is nice & easy on a good track heading up Glen Lui
002.JPG
Glen Lui
and then soon swings across Lui Water
004.JPG
JB ahead heading for Lui Water bridge
where the glen starts to open up giving some fine views up Glen Lui
005.JPG
Lui Water & Glen Lui
Plenty for jb & me to talk about as this is our 1st time out together this year,and we fairly eat up the few klms to Derry Lodge sitting in some fine pinewoods
006.JPG
Dery Lodge

Dont know what anybody else thinks about the area just around & after Derry Lodge,but I just thought it had a magical feel about it(first time we have been here & cant wait to return).Anyway no stopping here,past the Lodge & over the Derry Burn on another fine bridge
007.JPG
Bridge over Derry Burn
The path ahead becomes a wee bit boggy,but short lived before you are back on a fine path,where Carn a"Mhaim starts to show its self.
008.JPG
Carn a"Mhaim

Cant believe the weather we are having just now,but long may it continue,and also the run of fine weather I have been having on my last 5/6 trips out,in fact,cant believe some people would walk this far for a game of Lacrosse.
009.JPG
Anyone fancy a game

Anyway,bridges,dont you just love them when they cross rivers,streams,burns & the rest................why you may ask am I saying this......................well this is the reason
023.JPG
Luibeag Burn
Did this river crossing twice,once up the way & once on our return & then remembered WH tells you there is a bridge 400yds further up :lol: This is where the hard work for the day really starts,but with the path still good,we make light work of the climb & gain height quickly,that gives a great view back down the glen
010.JPG
Backdown Glen Lui

A fairly quick & steep accent continues,but with the views ahead getting better with every step,this is no hardship,met a fellow walker on the way down who had left Linn of Dee on a bike around the same time as us,a few words exchanged & on up we continued.

Will now just let the views we had from here on in speak for themselves,as any words I would write would not do them any justice.
011.JPG
Devils Point & Beinn Bhrotain
012.JPG
Devils Point & Cairn Toul & Sgor an Lochan Uaine
013.JPG
Beinn Bhrotain & Monadh Mor
015.JPG
Summit pic
016.JPG
Devils Point again
017.JPG
Cairn Toul & Sgor an Lochan Uaine
019.JPG
Derry Cairngorm
020.JPG
Beinn Mheadhoin

So,hope you liked the pics,not sure my wee point & shoot does them justice,but atleast there is,or ever will be any cheating....oops sorry any enhancment of any pics taken :wink: ,or as Queen would say "no synths".All that was left now was to have some food & then begin the walk back to Linn of Dee(no hardship involved) loved every second of this one,with one or two pics taken on the way home.
021.JPG
Cairn Toul,Sgor an Lochan Uaine & Carn a "Mhaim ridge
024.JPG
A last look back
027.JPG
The walk out
Last edited by gammy leg walker on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Linn of Dee & me & jb

Postby Gable Gable End » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:41 pm

bloody hell Willie; the run continues...

:lol:
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Another sunny day for you Gammy, I can hardly believe it. A fine report and beautiful photos from your little cam (even if you did try leaving it behind) Surprised you frightened Monty off, maybe he'll make the next one :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Gavin99 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:30 pm

That looks like a grand day you had , some nice , unaltered , photos :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 pm

gammy leg walker wrote: Anyway while jb & me were getting ready for the off I noticed another car parked near by with the windows all steamed up :think: and who should pop out the back but Mountain Thyme & MGMT,greetings were exchanged with the usual where you going,where you been,nice to see you again,have a good day,and off we set.

Well done GLW and no clag! Mgmt! does blow out a lot of hot air! :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 pm

gammy leg walker wrote: Anyway while jb & me were getting ready for the off I noticed another car parked near by with the windows all steamed up :think: and who should pop out the back but Mountain Thyme & MGMT,greetings were exchanged with the usual where you going,where you been,nice to see you again,have a good day,and off we set.

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Brilliant report Willie :thumbup:

Your photos are magic!!!! So magic that you've made JB disappear!!!

:lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:43 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Brilliant report Willie :thumbup:

Your photos are magic!!!! So magic that you've made JB disappear!!!

:lol: :lol:

Honest polly,he does exsist..........................no honest he really does. :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:46 pm

Gable Gable End wrote:bloody hell Willie; the run continues...

:lol:

Aye it does G.G.E...................must have been that other fella I used to walk with that brought the clag. :wink:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Del246 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Nice report and great pics, especially The Devils Point.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:52 pm

mountain thyme wrote:

Good to meet you again mountain thyme,big round for you coming up soon in Knoydart,keep us posted please
on the day you hope to compleate.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:54 pm

Gavin99 wrote:That looks like a grand day you had , some nice , unaltered , photos :D

Cheers Gavin,it was a grand day,first time at Linn of Dee,cant wait too return.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:56 pm

ChrisW wrote:Another sunny day for you Gammy, I can hardly believe it. A fine report and beautiful photos from your little cam (even if you did try leaving it behind) Surprised you frightened Monty off, maybe he'll make the next one :lol:

Thanks Chris,cant believe the run I am on just now..............long may it continue. :D
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Good pics there Gammy,not long till the 100 mark now :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:00 pm

Del246 wrote:Nice report and great pics, especially The Devils Point.

Thanks,seen the Devils Point so many times in pictures,but too see it that close was another thing. :shock:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland