walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cromdale Grahams

The Cromdale Grahams

Postby Lastofthesummerwine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn a'Ghille Chearr, Creagan a' Chaise

Date walked: 06/03/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 675m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Many years ago I did these hills walking the whole lot from near Nethbridge to Ballindalloch with full camping gear on my back. So this was a sentimental journey and one I had longed to do again just had never the time nor the opportunity. However in Last of the Summer Wine land all things are now possible and this may be the last time I ever do these hills.
Park by the river just down from the distillery over the bailley bridge. Follow the "Path to Cromdale" arrows and that takes you up to the plateaux. From there just watch your step as it can be hummocky heather but fairly easy to follow to a faint path to the first and most northerly top Carn a Ghille Chearr. Lots of white hares around and Hamish nearly broke his lead when he saw them! I did the outlier to Ghille as well. After that retrace your steps and go south crossing an unbelieveably boggy difficult bit heading along the broad ridge for a conical cairn, another of Queen Vics legacies. This is a nice spot for lunch. Keep your eyes open for the large herd of deer, reindeer or something unusual anyway as they had nearly white coats. I think the estate are rearing them. Continue around to the highest and most southerly top Creagan a Chaise and then a lovely descent off the north east shoulder to the sparkling Milton burn and a walk along the road to the car park. Delightful ! I noticed you can also park at the milton end but better to use the car park by the bridge. Oh! just remembered, sign your name in the wee bookie in the tupperware box[see photo]on Creagan a Chaise and leave your username as well.
Attachments
037.JPG
035.JPG
027.JPG
026.JPG
019.JPG
014.JPG
011.JPG
010.JPG
005.JPG
Lastofthesummerwine
Mountain Walker

Re: The Cromdale Grahams

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Glad you posted this it looks a fine walk. I'd been looking at doing these next time i'm up at Grantown on Spey so good to see your route :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:31 pm

Cheers :) . Been past these many times and looks like a good trip as a break from the big-uns :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Lastofthesummerwine » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Just noticed that the photos are in the wrong order with the first last and last first if you know what I mean. I still haven't mastered uploading yet!
Lastofthesummerwine
Mountain Walker

Postby morag1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Nice report of some of the lesser known hills :thumbup:

Lastofthesummerwine wrote:this may be the last time I ever do these hills

Surely not, if you can do them now you can do them again. Even if a full day is too much then you can plan for shorter outings. Hope you enjoy many more days out on the hillsides :D
morag1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland