walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

RUBY'S FIRST MUNRO

RUBY'S FIRST MUNRO

Postby Jockstar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 04/03/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1011m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was with a bit of trepidation that we decided to get out and start our 2012 walking season even though we had had a pretty busy winter walking the hills around where we lived. However, we knew that with the Kintail meet just less than 4 weeks away that we needed to get our legs stretched and start to get some decent fitness for the year ahead.

P1010741.JPG
Su and Ruby at the carpark in Arrochar

P1010747.JPG
Su getting to grips with her new SLR camera

We had all along planned Bienn Ime as our first choice of the year as we had failed to climb it when we climbed Bienn Narnain in 2010 as we had run out of time and light. Also we had done the Cobbler in September last year as our last climb of the year along with a great crowd of walkers and climbers to see Andy Drinnon bid farewell to the walking and climbing he managed in his time over in Scotland. So off we went from the car park in Arrocher up the winding path through the forest and before long we were seeing Arrocher and Ben Lomond in all their glory.

P1010746.JPG
Ben Lomond

It brought back memories of the other two walks we had made to Beinn Narnain in November 2010 and The Cobbler November 2011.

P1010748.JPG
The Cobbler

So third time up the path and heading for The Cobbler along the gradual rising path but this time we were heading beyond to the bealach That leads to Beinn Ime.

P1010753.JPG
At the Bealach a Mhaim

I could see that it looked very boggy and we started to climb up the broad shoulder and the best path seemed to be the well-trodden ‘stream’ that was coming down the hill.

P1010755.JPG
The only way is up!!

P1010758.JPG
Su in bogland!!

As we made our way up the weather turned into glorious sunshine and although that was interrupted by the odd squally snow/hail shower it didn’t dampen our delight of seeing such great views as we made our way upwards. Ruby was leading the way and loving the conditions but better was to come further ahead as she played in the snow chasing her own made snowballs. Also thanks to the people coming up and down whom all commented on Ruby and it was easy to see who the star of this walk was!!

P1010763.JPG
Su with Beinn Narnain in the background

P1010766.JPG
The Cobbler from Beinn Ime

Before long we were seeing Beinn Narnain and The Cobbler and Ben Vane and further away we could see Ben Lomond and Loch Ness.

DSCF0798.JPG
Almost there!!

It wasn’t long before we reached the Cairn and celebrated Ruby’s first Munro at 8 months old (6 in human years!!).

DSCF0812.JPG
Ruby's first Munro!!

After a few more photos (Su’s camera was on overdrive!) we headed back down and managed to slip a couple of times down the wet slopes and were glad to reach the path back down from The Cobbler. Ruby had by now had had enough so I carried her a further part of the way to give her a bit of a rest before she got down herself and walked the remainder of the way to the car park. This was a great start to our climbing year but we need to get out and do more walking as Kintail will be creeping up quickly. :(
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: RUBY'S FIRST MUNRO

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi Brian,Sue & not forgetting Ruby,so glad to see you back out,new where you were heading by your FB post & was wondering how you were getting on when I was heading up Carn "Mhaim,good to see the summit of Beiin Ime again,it looked a lot calmer than the time stretch & I were on this summit.

Wont be long till Kintail,so hope you can squeeze some more hills in before then.
PS.......................you should take a look at Carn a"Mhaim from Linn of Dee if you get back out & the weathers fine.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:31 pm

Hi Brian,Sue & not forgetting Ruby,so glad to see you back out,new where you were heading by your FB post & was wondering how you were getting on when I was heading up Carn "Mhaim,good to see the summit of Beiin Ime again,it looked a lot calmer than the time stretch & I were on this summit.

Wont be long till Kintail,so hope you can squeeze some more hills in before then.
PS.......................you should take a look at Carn a"Mhaim from Linn of Dee if you get back out & the weathers fine.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby fraochydug » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:35 pm

thats some walk for those wee legs!
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby Jockstar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:38 pm

Cheers Gammy and I'll have a look at Carn a' Mhaim. :D If I don't see you before Kintail I'll remember to bring a wee dram to bring in the new year!! lol!! :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Postby Jockstar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:41 pm

aye Fraochydug - she might have wee legs but she gets about. :D had to carry her a bit on the way back though she did get back down and walk the rest of the way. She's a wee gem!! :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Postby Jabber » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Well done Ruby..she's looks absolutely freezing...my westie loves being out on the hills although at 14 she's struggling now even with the lower level ones.
Did you find the geocache at the top? The last time I was up there, someone had left an Atomic Kitten CD in it! :lol: (Probably better there than subjecting someone to their music!)
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Postby fraochydug » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 pm

Jockstar wrote:aye Fraochydug - she might have wee legs but she gets about. :D had to carry her a bit on the way back though she did get back down and walk the rest of the way. She's a wee gem!! :D

she looks it. they are still wolves at heart and full of energy.
my vet was amazed i used to walk the ferret 3-4 miles a day :lol:
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby Lastofthesummerwine » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Ruby is a border I take it. We also have a border called Hamish. See my latest walk report on the Cromdales if you want to see him. Ours is an awful wee chappie for scenting and takes off after deer, rabbits hares you name it. We can't really let him off lead if there is anything to chase on the hill. Still we love him dearly. Borders are just so cute and funny. He makes me laugh every day with his antics.
Lastofthesummerwine
Mountain Walker

Postby Jockstar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:07 pm

Yes she is a border and even the cat in the house suffers. :( Because she's so young we had her on a lead as this was her first time out on the hills but had been warned that she might bolt if she got a scent of a fox!! Thanks for the advice and we might meet over the coming year. love her to bits though and she certainly enjoyed the day out. :D
she is just full of character and are so pleased to have got her. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Lovely TR Jockstar! Nice to see the "wee dug" out on the hill - sadly my Lucy is starting to feel her age now and I fear her hill days are largely behind her. :( :(

Looking forward to meeting you and Su in a few weeks up the road in Kintail! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby quoman » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi Jockstar,
Ruby sure is the star on the hills, its the same when we go out wi Bear she gets awe the attention :lol: plus awe the leftover peices.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby ChrisW » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Great stuff Jockstar & lovely photos, a good effort from Ruby but don't take the poor lass out in snow over 6 inch deep :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby AlastairStevenson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:34 am

Some terrific pictures there, Jockstar, especially the last 2 - crystal clear, great colours. I'm wondering if they were from Su's SLR.
I'm keen to get back to Arrochar sometime - only been there once a couple of years ago on a sunny late October day when I was home alone. The day trip journey is a bit of a slog from here on the East coast - but the Cobbler sure makes the spine tingle, despite the hordes, such an iconic hill.
AlastairStevenson
Mountaineer

Postby Jockstar » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:24 pm

AlastairStevenson wrote:Some terrific pictures there, Jockstar, especially the last 2 - crystal clear, great colours. I'm wondering if they were from Su's SLR.

Yes, alaistair Stevenson. You guessed it. Her new SLR was on overdrive and Su takes some great pictures but I am happy with my Panasonic TZ7
We travel a lot too as originally from St.Andrews but now in Scotlandwell and have decided to turn to the cairngorms for the summer to try and keep the travel down. We also have a few to finish off in Perthshire so still plenty to do before tackling the ones further north,
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland