walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Bike up Ben Wyvis's wee brother

A Bike up Ben Wyvis's wee brother

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Little Wyvis

Date walked: 10/03/2012

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 663m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was a little short of time so I thought I’d try and tackle Little Wyvis using my bike for a speedy descent to save time!!

As usual I have added my wee video

The weather was ok and the forecast was an improving picture through the day although it did warn of strong to gale force winds over the tops. I set off from the car park next to the public toilets near where the Allt a’ Mhuilinn meets the Black Water Alltan – Dubh. It was about midday There had been some fresh snow a few days prior to today, however the mild weather had melted it all away leaving a rather wet hill.

I basically following the landrover track east which lead me to the summit with very little route finding needed (the weather was clear anyway).

The weather nearly all the way up was good with good visibility and great views west and north to the Fannichs and as far away as Torridon (well I think it was the torridon peaks I could make out ??). I must admit that at the point where the track passes the Forestry plantation, I did resort to pushing my bike – however I did not video any of that part- haha. Around 50 metres from the summit the wind really picked up ad virtually blew me to the top!.
DSC01337.JPG
summit pic
Stayed on summit for 10 minutes before a freek storm shower rolled in with driving sleet- so it was off the hill and back down ASAP…
DSC01338.JPG
rainbow on descent

Weather picked up and I had a nice wee cycle back to car – got back around 14.30…
DSC01348.JPG
Black Water Alltan - Dubh
wilkiemurray

Re: A Bike up Ben Wyvis's wee brother

Postby fraochydug » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:33 pm

nice one. i plan doing the same this year with the bike
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:17 am

The tracks lead almost to the summit which makes it ideal for the bike and navigation is not an issue :)
wilkiemurray

Postby dogplodder » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Missed this when it was first posted but glad to have seen it now. Your video is brilliant! :thumbup:

Would this be a sensible way to walk it or is there a better route if without wheels?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:39 pm

dogplodder wrote:Missed this when it was first posted but glad to have seen it now. Your video is brilliant! :thumbup:

Would this be a sensible way to walk it or is there a better route if without wheels?

Hi Dogplodder - Thanks for comment. In regards to walking this route - It was good on the bike and there is certainly a track almost all the way to the top- so good if clag is in - however I have never tackled it from the "Big" Wyvis pth and I think most trip reports use that option which may be a nicer path perhaps. Sorry I cannot be more informative.... the views from the top are good though :) :D
wilkiemurray

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland