walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It's Snowdon Jim....But not as we know it!

It's Snowdon Jim....But not as we know it!

Postby garyhortop » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:53 pm

Date walked: 11/03/2012

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having not been on the Hills for a few weeks I decided it was time to get out - the forecast was good and I had been challenged by an old fella who comes along to the Active Living Cafe I help run of older people that I couldn't find Cranmwere Pool! Not one to bow down to a challenge I decided to give it go! Lesson Number one:

Check the Dartmoor range firing times before leaving!

As Cranmere Pool is within the firing range I had a wasted drive and so had to go to Plan B - I had seen Snowdon on the map and thought...well why not...It isn't just Wales that has a Snowdon!! So I headed to Coombestone Tor Car Park and parked up and still had plenty of time as I had at least set off early in the morning! Apparently Coombestone Tor holds the Dartmoor record for being the Tor nearest to a car park! It's about 15 feet away!

001.JPG
Coombestone Tor

So off i went into the clag with the full intention of doing a slightly different walk to the one I have posted (as I think this is where I actually went!) Lesson Two: Trust your compass and not your eyes or that little voice in your head that thinks it know's where it is going!

002.JPG
Ryders Hill is there somewhere!?

005.JPG
Back towards Coombestone Tor

So off I headed into the clag which was pretty much all there was to see for the first couple of hours excpet for the odd gap in the clag.

004.JPG
Venford reservoir

006.JPG
Boundary Marker On Holne Ridge

007.JPG
Moor Clag!!

This was coupled with some serious bogtrotting throughout this walk - and I am talking about bog that was about shin deep for alot of the walk. If you don't like sucky mud don't do this walk unless it is frozen or baked solid!....or pay more attention to your map and compass!?

008.JPG
Bogtrotting at Its best!!

After much sucky sounds and pulling the dogs out of the mire once or twice I suddenly found myself on the summit of Snowdon and frankly only really recognised that I was on the summit from some ink drawings I had seen in a book where there is some debate about whether these are summit cairns or ancient burial chambers. Having reached the summit I decided to just stay put for a while and have some coffee and choccy as the weather seemed to be clearing a bit ...which it eventually did and opened up some good views! The downside was...no cafe or railway..the upside was...I had it all to myself (apart form the Dogs!)

009.JPG
Snowdon Summit Cairns (Burial Mounds?)

010.JPG
Ryders Hill from Snowdon - or not!

It was then a short hop across to Pupers Hill with some good views from the summit as the weather was becoming decidedly better.

012.JPG
Pupers Hill Summit Tor with Huntingdon Warren in Background
014.JPG
Pupers Hill Cairn - Teign estuary in far distance

From Pupers Hill you can then see your next stop which is Huntingdon Warren/Huntingdon Hill - again a shot hop down into the Valley - up to the Warren (good place for a coffee break) and then on to the Hill. The Warren has some interesting history as it was farmed up until the 1950's from what is believed to be the 1600's and it was used for farming rabbits (hence the name). Apparently this become unviable and it was left as a shelter until in the late 50's some cadets managed to burn the place down!! So its all ruin now!

017.JPG
Huntingdon Warren from Pupers Hill
019.JPG
Entrance to Huntingdon Warren
022.JPG
Part of the Warreners House

A short climb up to the summit of Huntingdon Hill then gives you a good view across to Ryders hill as well as a good view all around - although strangely whilst it was clear where I was you could see the clag sitting on the hills to the North still.

023.JPG
Avon Dam reservoir from Huntingdon Hill
024.JPG
Tinners Slag and Dartmoor Clag!

So - what follows is yet more bogtrotting across towards Ryders Hill, still hiding in the clag at this stage but there is a relatively clear path to follow as well has having learned lesson number two of the day i ignored the voices telling me to ignore my compass...which turned out to be alot more accurate than the voices!! So made it to Ryders Hill at last!

029.JPG
Petrie's cross and standing stone on Ryders Hill Summit

I then followed the compass North and headed North for about 1Km before taking a sharp left west toward Skir Gut as I wanted to pick up the old tin workings in this area and have a bit of a mooch around them just for idle curiosities sake. Now the clag was still around albeit it was clearer but as I headed towards Skir Gut I could hear voices again.... (real ones this time!) and this got louder until what sounded like a footbal crowd was heading towards me.....nope.....4 large groups of students practicing for the 10 Tors event later this year!! Still ....no chance of any of them getting lost......they can just follow the noise!

031.JPG
Skir Gut Workings

I arrived at Skir Gut and then headed south and east towards the Henroost and then on to Hooten Wheals. This place must have been mined extensively by the Tinners over the years. The area around Hooten Wheals looks a bit like a WWII bombsite! Not helped by the fact that there were army cadets there playing soldiers!

033.JPG
The Henroost from the Bottom end!

035.JPG
Hooten Wheals Tinners Site

From Hooten Wheals i had a bit of a meander across to Down Ridge as I spotted a stone cross that looked like it might be worth a look and from there headed almost a stright line back to Coombestone Tor which was now visible. Don't try this at home folks! Lesson Three: An OS map will show you what obstacles lie in your way if you read it properly....like walls, streams....and Tinners Leats! So look at the map!!
036.JPG
Stone cross on Down Ridge

But I eventually made it back to Coombestone Tor and the car! I obviously need to learn the lesson here about using my map and compass and actually looking at the features...not something I usually screw up on...so perhaps it was just a bad day!

As for Cranmere Pool.......I will find it....just on another day!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Re: It's Snowdon Jim....But not as we know it!

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks Gary, I've now got music (not voices) going round my head and I'm singing "It's Snowdon Jim....but not as we know it!" :lol:

I really enjoyed reading about your adventure and looking at the photos. It was very interesting :D

garyhortop wrote:4 large groups of students practicing for the 10 Tors event later this year!!

Jeff did the 10 Tors a couple of times when he was at Yeovil College and the weather was terrible each time :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby willywalker247 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Great report Gary as always. Looking forward to your next report.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:40 am

Great stuff Gary, not just the report and pics but the history too, lovely read :D p.s. I have voices in my head all the time but didn't realise this was normal :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:55 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Thanks Gary, I've now got music (not voices) going round my head and I'm singing "It's Snowdon Jim....but not as we know it!" :lol:

I really enjoyed reading about your adventure and looking at the photos. It was very interesting :D

garyhortop wrote:4 large groups of students practicing for the 10 Tors event later this year!!

Jeff did the 10 Tors a couple of times when he was at Yeovil College and the weather was terrible each time :lol:

Hi Susie, Alway pleased to be of service!! :wink:

My step Daughter has done the 25 and 35 miler's last eyar and year before...but couldn't face the 50 miler this year!! can't say i Blame her! I think it must be the practice season now so will need to bear that in mind for my future walks!!
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:56 pm

willywalker247 wrote:Great report Gary as always. Looking forward to your next report.

Cheer's Chris.....you must make an appointment for your next visit to the sunny SW....I have a few possible walks up my sleeve for us! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:02 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff Gary, not just the report and pics but the history too, lovely read :D p.s. I have voices in my head all the time but didn't realise this was normal :lol: :lol:

Cheers Chris, I realise Dartmoor doesn't quite have the spectacular scenery of North America or the Higher lands of the UK but it does have a lot of history so I just try to research a little about where I am walking and what history might be attached to it - it makes the walk a bit more interesting as I can't get up North as much as I would like! The fella I mentioned who challenged me to find Cranmere Pool is an ex-Dartmoor rescue guy and has walked the moor loads - so spending some time picking his brains!

.....don't worry about the voices you get used to them after while...just remember to ignore them!! :D :silent:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby malky_c » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Interesting reading, and good to know that Dartmoor has bog as bad as (or even worse than) Scotland :lol: .

I didn't know there was another hill called Snowdon anywhere :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland