walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairngorm cracker

Cairngorm cracker

Postby pigeon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Route description: Beinn Mheadhoin & Derry Cairngorm, Deeside

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 11/03/2012

Time taken: 9.25 hours

Distance: 31 km

Ascent: 1121m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A good forecast seen us heading for the Cairngorms on Sunday,for me and Ian,some unfinished business and for Jim a first visit to this ace neck o' the woods.
003.JPG
early weather looking good
006.JPG
carn a' mhaim in the centre
Derry Cairngorm had eluded myself and Ian twice so this time it was gettin' done.Set off from linn of dee car park at about 7 15 heading for derry lodge,got here in about an hour then continued over the wee boggy bit and then up the heathery hillside to carn crom.
013.JPG
think this is beinn a 'ghlo
Once up here the views opened up to the big peaks of the cairngorms,cairn toul ,angel's peak ,braeriach all looking impressive and ben macdui looked massive,it was pretty windy up here though ,forecast looked to be spot on so far.
016.JPG
cairn toul,braeriach and macdui
023.JPG
me jim and jake
027.JPG
030.JPG
ben macdui and lochan uanie
033.JPG
035.JPG
Made our way from here up to Derry on a good path,surprised by how little snow we came across on this route,had crampons in bag and big clumpy winter boots on(would pay for this later)and made the top of a very windy derry cairngorm after about 3 and a half hours.
032.JPG
jim and ian on a windy derry cairngorm
039.JPG
next target in the distance
Quick photie here then then staggered and stumbled over the big rocks down toward loch etchachan,we were all feeling good and were going to get beinn mheadhion conquered today as well.
044.JPG
loch etchachan
A quick bite to eat down near the loch with great views down to glen derry and then we were of up the steepish bit to mheadhions flat summit plain.
049.JPG
tea break and a look down glen derry
053.JPG
last push to mheadhion
Not far from the summit tor we bumped into walkhighlands regular peteR,(a very nice bloke indeed :thumbup: )and after a wee blether he was off towards Ben Macdui,a long way but i'm sure we'll read about it soon.Pete had told us the scramble up the biggest tor was nothing to worry about so me and jim went for it(not daring to stand up at the top as it was now as windy as god knows whit)Ian took the photies then he and Jake bounded up as well,Jake making it look very easy in about four mad dug style moves :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
056.JPG
me and jim triumphant
061.JPG
ian makes it as jake bounds up
Took a bit of shelter for 5 mins at the foot chatting to a guy from ayrshire who gave us a wee scoop from his hip flask :thumbup: (cheers boss)and then started heading back down.
062.JPG
pigeon,jim,ian and jake
063.JPG
loch avon away down there
Was really looking forward to getting the catering on at the hutchison memorial but disaster struck-stove would not light-diagnosis-igniter kapoot! :(
068.JPG
jake inspects the hut
So with no matches or anything to get it going had to settle for a feeble biscuit and a bit of fruit :( :( .Never mind,all that was left now was the 8 miles or so down Glen Derry :lol: ,a braw walk indeed but by now the 4 season boots felt like they weighed a ton and to make things worse Jim had developed blisters on his feet :shock: .
070.JPG
072.JPG
a look back
Eventually got back to derry lodge and took the boots of for 5 before the last 3 miles back to the car park,people whizzing past us on bikes making us very jealous :mrgreen: .Back to car park after 9 hours 15 mins,a long day but really pleased with the way the weather worked out,clear skies all day,a bit windy at times but all in all one of the best days yet on them hills. :thumbup:
074.JPG
a well deserved beer or three in braemar
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Cairngorm cracker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:18 pm

I was just along the road from you guys doing Carn a' Mhaim, great day for it. You guys wern't the only ones experiencing problems with 4 season boots, i was the same. I don't think they like hard tracks :) I see you mention the bikes as well, again i was the same.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby pigeon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:27 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:I was just along the road from you guys doing Carn a' Mhaim, great day for it. You guys wern't the only ones experiencing problems with 4 season boots, i was the same. I don't think they like hard tracks :) I see you mention the bikes as well, again i was the same.
Just read your report Johnny,is that kibo's you've got?Mines are,they are excellent boots but yesterday was not the day for them.Didn't have any blisters myself just really tired uncomfortable feet.Big Jim though ,he had the dreaded blister :( Apart from that a great day out :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:33 pm

Yeah it's the Kibo's i've got. I got the blister on the ankle on the way in so changed the sock and it was fine then on the walk out got the blister on the sole of my other foot. I maybe should have changed both socks :?
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Huck Finn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Good report again Dave, looks like a cracking day, good clear photos, that last summit look great, Jake did well to get up it :lol:
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby jonny616 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Looks like you guys had a great day. Weather was miserable were we where :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby jonny616 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Looks like you guys had a great day. Weather was miserable were we where :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:19 pm

Not in the least jealous :sick: :sick: great report & pics...................note to self,back to the gorms ASAP.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:54 pm

Excellent report again pigeon :D And great pictures too :D Glad you made both hills and that Ian got to the top of meadhoin :D It was certainly windy on that hill :shock: Great summit shots of the Tor 8) :D

It was a pleasure to meet all three of you and Jake the dug :D I'll get my report done soon, but managed to bag macdui too :D The legs know about it today though. That's a long way back from Derry Lodge isn't it! :shock: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:14 am

Great report Pigeon of a wonderful area, love the pics of those huge rolling hills with a dusting of snow on for effect, lovely :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:00 am

Some cracking photos. Looks a bit like the Arizona desert in some shots with the big rocks! lol: can't wait to make it up to that playground some time soon!!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:11 am

a cracker right enough pigeon :thumbup: and a great day for it - looks like you had a very enjoyable day - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby quoman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:27 am

Cracking report pigeon

some excellent photo's there a like the tor pic you had what looks like a lovely day up there pitty aboot the stove i know how you like your hamemade soup up on the hills
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby dooterbang » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:41 pm

Belter of a day to be out in the East - thats why i was in West in the clag :?

Some nice shots.

Looked a fab outing.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Frigate » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Must be the spring season for changing socks, only did 14k in the Ochil hills and ended up with chaffed feet. Good report, must say I missed going out with the team and it was quite windy on the golf course too.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland