walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Muick

Loch Muick

Postby Bod » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Route description: Loch Muick Circuit

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch

Date walked: 10/03/2012

Time taken: 7.16 hours

Distance: 24.1 km

Ascent: 862m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was Saturday morning and we left from Banchory after spending an entertaining and fun evening with my Mum :D. In no time at all we arrived in Aboyne picked up a few extra nibbles and a bottle of water (I had forgotten my normal water bottle), and we were next driving up through Ballater then into Glen Muick.

1.JPG
Looking southwest along the loch with Broad Cairn appearing in the distance just below the cloud line.
2.JPG
Looking back along the loch northeast.
3.JPG
Now appearing, what I have always referred to as the zig-zag track leading up onto high ground approaching Sandy Hillock.
4.JPG
I love the sound of running water when I am in the outdoors :)
5.JPG
Valerie on the zig-zags!
6.JPG
Glas-allt-Shiel nestles below on the opposite side of the loch. Dark Lochnagar shrouded in cloud hides in the clouds above.
7.JPG
Glas-allt-Shiel
8.JPG
Looking across the boggy moor of the Black Burn beyond which lies Glen Clova.
9.JPG
On the southeast facing rise of Broad Cairn after passing Sandy's Hut (now an animal shelter and pen). I know I have sheltered there in year's gone by, but it was more of a hut/bothy then? Wonder what kind of beasts get the priviledge of a summer stay up here in 2012?
10.JPG
The terrain changes as that magic Munro level is met! :)
11.JPG
Broad Cairn.....now cold, windy and with nowhere to get shelter! :)
12.JPG
So off we go marching on towards Cairn Bannoch.
13.JPG
Oooh ... starting to feel the need for sustinance......
14.JPG
15.JPG
16.JPG
Tracing our steps back we are graced by the company of the locals.
17.JPG
On Sandy's seat.
18.JPG
A view northwest over Corrie Chash...heading for the lighting path.
19.JPG
20.JPG
Entering the forest around Glas-allt-Shiel.
21.JPG
The Boat House, always a welcome point at the end of the loch after the slog along the track.....a beautiful spot from which to admire Loch Muick and take in its splendour before heading home.
:D :D :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Re: Loch Muick

Postby Bod » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:44 pm

A great leg stretcher and plenty of fresh air, before returning home to babysit and spend Sunday in the garden. Bring on the Spring! :)
Bod
Walker

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Great stuff Bod, but once you had got so far how come you didn't keep going and take in the others :?: anyway, thanks for jogging some lovely memories of a favourite place of mine :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby PeteR » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:04 am

Really enjoyed that report Bod :D I've done a bit of this circuit as part of the Lochnagar route. The complete circuit looks like a good day out :D One I'll have to remember for MrsR :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Benjaminnevis » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:10 am

Bod wrote:A great leg stretcher and plenty of fresh air, before returning home to babysit and spend Sunday in the garden. Bring on the Spring! :)

i met 4 fellas on friday when i was coming down from conachcraig who were heading up lochnagar to camp over night and do the rest of the white mounth route on saturday, did you see them by any chance bod i would be interested in hearing how they got on as it was blawing a gale on friday up er.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby Bod » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:14 am

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff Bod, but once you had got so far how come you didn't keep going and take in the others :?: anyway, thanks for jogging some lovely memories of a favourite place of mine :D

Thanks Chris, but the weather was pretty foul once we reached Cairn Bannoch with the winds hitting us head-on, plus I am looking forward to a fairer day climbing up from Invercauld Bridge and returning via Glen Callater. Favourite spots for me too with Cairn Bannoch being the only new Munro for me. Spent a great day on Lochnagar just two summers ago, spending time exploring Meikle Pap, the Corrie and Glas-allt-Shiel. Will be back again..... :D
Bod
Walker

Postby Bod » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:20 am

Benjaminnevis wrote:
Bod wrote:A great leg stretcher and plenty of fresh air, before returning home to babysit and spend Sunday in the garden. Bring on the Spring! :)

i met 4 fellas on friday when i was coming down from conachcraig who were heading up lochnagar to camp over night and do the rest of the white mounth route on saturday, did you see them by any chance bod i would be interested in hearing how they got on as it was blawing a gale on friday up er.

No Ben, we never saw anyone coming round in the opposite direction with overnight kit. Everyone was doing something similar to us. Hope they were okay? There are other ways down for them or they could have reversed? Cheers
Bod
Walker

Postby Bod » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 am

PeteR wrote:Really enjoyed that report Bod :D I've done a bit of this circuit as part of the Lochnagar route. The complete circuit looks like a good day out :D One I'll have to remember for MrsR :D

Thanks Pete, it's a fine part of the world. I always love how varied and wonderful our wee country is.... :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Postby Benjaminnevis » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:58 am

Bod wrote:
Benjaminnevis wrote:

No Ben, we never saw anyone coming round in the opposite direction with overnight kit. Everyone was doing something similar to us. Hope they were okay? There are other ways down for them or they could have reversed? Cheers

they looked well kitted out but am not sure you could have put a tent up in that wind.

Great walk the white mounth route. the zig zag climb is hard going but great once you get passed that, i wish i had done tolmount from loch muick instead of going up jocks road which was a bog fest :( .
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby Gavin99 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:12 am

Bring on the spring indeed , skylarks in full song in the Trossachs this weekend ,and a bumble bee !
That looks a fine walk , I'm looking forward to some exploring up there soon . :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:50 am

Nice one again Bod, shame about the winds though. That zig-zag path is a killer on the knees when coming down it, i struggled with it when i did the round last year :( Good to see you both out again looking forward to catching up at Kintail :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:49 am

Loved your report and some great photos, good to see you both out enjoying yourselves :thumbup:

We were at Loch Muick at the end of May last year and it was blowing a gale then with horizontal rain....no Spring-like weather :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby dooterbang » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks for posting as i casn now see what Lock Muick actually looks like :D

A very scenic area indeed.

Looked a nice walk.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:57 pm

Aye, well done for battling the winds :)

Loch Muick is bonny, I sometimes forget, I have been round there so often it has somehow become boring.. Queenie does keep an estate superior to many does she not? :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi Bod, what a coincidence, we did these two yesterday :D Similar route, but we descended by Dubh Loch. Definitely a lovely area and views are superb, especially from the upper track over Loch Muick. We were lucky to have clear sky all the time, I'll be posting my TR soon. Cheers!
BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland