walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Im finished with the Mam Mor

Im finished with the Mam Mor

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean

Date walked: 11/03/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1950m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Bha sinn a fhalbh a 'ribhist aig an Deireadh Seachdain agus air Didómhaich a ribhist cuidheachd !!

and the weather ?.... wet and just damn poor altogether but we hacked in to Ceann Loch Liobhan for 9am and were off up the path by 9.10am

Jesus they like their paths in Ceann Loch in the woods there are paths gu leor ,so after walking in circles for a wee while in and amongst the woods n cooncil houses we were at the bottom of the stalkers path up to Sgurr Eilde Mor and our first target Binnien Beag

Anyway no much to see for the Ceó

IMG-20120311-00556.jpg
Ceann Loch Liobhan

It was that fine West Coast drizzle that only the Gaidhealtachd can produce and its a long haul into Binnien right enough i found it a wee bit tiring

In Gaelic this is "Mossach" weather ....

IMG-20120311-00559.jpg
Binnein Beag agus an rathad anns a sgoth is an t uisge

Uill bha sealltainn againnsa idir an frasachan ..... wee views between showers and hill ceó and after what seemed like a good while we were at the bottom of Binnein Beag

IMG-20120311-00561.jpg
An Binnein Beag ..tioram !

Although "an cú" decided to head to Sgurr Eilde Mor in pursuit of the Monarch which cost me a good 15 mins whistling and hollering

IMG-20120311-00566.jpg
dona a bhalaich !

Suas an druim and she is a sleamhag route very skittery and loose clachair she should be called Binnein Carnoch ..the stony one

We were soon on the Mhullach and had a bit of lunch in the cold wind but the water was off at this point

Well what to do i kinda thought about scrambling up the Sron a Garbh Coire but knowing its meaning and given the ceó i decided to retrace back to the bealach and up the side of Sgurr Eilde Beag

IMG-20120311-00562.jpg
Sron an Garbh Coire

Needed the ice axe to cut steps to the ridge (NE Coirean) for about 50 metres only snow left up there though :(

From there on in the weather closed in not a day for dealbhan !

IMG-20120311-00570.jpg
Ceo is an t uisge

Tha an druim "Airy" and it would be a good viewpoint in good conditions still we enjoyed the ridge and took a fair few bearings to double make sure there was no wandering in the wrong direction :)

By three o'clock ish we had the three in the bag and by this time it was pretty fluich / wet

IMG-20120311-00573.jpg
The last Mam Mor Na Gruagaichean

Tha e a'cruadal a dol sios ..... its hard going down the coire to Ceann Loch Liobhan and a wet n denuded place indeed i was glad to see the car after plotting a route through the woods of many paths above the village :)

So tha sin e ..... the last of the Mam Mor ..... all bagged .. a long and tiring day ..still worth the casan goirt though :D

Mar sin leibh an drasda

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
IMG-20120311-00563.jpg
Lochan fiasg Binnein Beag
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: Im finished with the Mam Mor

Postby quoman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Hard luck wi the weather but you still got some good photo's i liked the one of an cu' soaking wet :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Pity about the weather but we can't have good weather all the time :?
Collaciotach wrote:fine West Coast drizzle
Same as we always had camping in Cornwall!!

Enjoyed your report, as always, even if I can't understand half of it and loved the photos. Whilst it's nice to see sun and blue skies..........cada imagen cuenta una historia :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:17 am

Enjoyable read as ever. I did a similar route a few years ago, weather started off wet but improved and ended up a great day. I've had 3 outings in the Mamores all in differant weather and still found them to be great hills, up there with the best of them i think :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Enjoyable read as ever. I did a similar route a few years ago, weather started off wet but improved and ended up a great day. I've had 3 outings in the Mamores all in differant weather and still found them to be great hills, up there with the best of them i think :D

Taing Dhuit .. there very handy for me and foine hills indeed i have had all weathers on them and will be back ,fancy the Bealach between An Gruagaichean and the route to Am Bodach in the snow :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:31 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Pity about the weather but we can't have good weather all the time :?
Collaciotach wrote:fine West Coast drizzle
Same as we always had camping in Cornwall!!

Enjoyed your report, as always, even if I can't understand half of it and loved the photos. Whilst it's nice to see sun and blue skies..........cada imagen cuenta una historia :lol: :lol:

Camping and rain go together ... nach eil thu a tuigsinn ? :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby robertphillips » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:20 pm

done these 3 back in november it always seems to rain and clagy in the mamores, and also got slightly confused the first time i left the carpark into the paths at the woods round in circles. :lol:
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:26 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Camping and rain go together ... nach eil thu a tuigsinn ?

Quite......and yes, I understand they go together :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Bod » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:35 pm

I camped at the lochan there years ago with two friends when we were just 15/16? We had to descend during the night and cancel the morning climb due to high winds and rain. Just got back into the Mamores two years ago and completed the Ring of Steall - will have to follow in your footsteps again for these peaks.... :D :D :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby jonny616 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:53 pm

Sunday weather wasn't the best. Did two of these in November & the weather was similar.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland