walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chreachain and Beinn Achaladair

Beinn a'Chreachain and Beinn Achaladair

Postby Stretch » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:18 pm

Route description: Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair

Date walked: 17/10/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1270m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On this day my good luck continued. Every time I've headed to the Glencoe/Rannoch Moor area the skies have been clear and the views spectacular - it would be no different on this occasion. Also on this day my mate Adam would bag his first two munros. I had planned on taking him up Beinn Dorain but I decided on a more circular route with more features to look at along the way - this proved to be the right call. These two hills offer great views from their summits all the way to Ben Nevis and back to Lawers and Crainlaraich. More importantly, there is much to see and enjoy along the way before reaching the ridge. Going clockwise - you begin with a nice easy stroll through the Achaladair farmland, then cross the Water of Tulla before walking through the Black Wood of Rannoch until you start to gain altitude. Once you get through the forrest you have to search for the tunnel under the railroad tracks which isn't clearly visible. It's also boggy in this section. But once past the tracks a clear path takes you all the way up to the lochan below Beinn a'Chreachain and its a lovely spot to rest before climbing the steep pathless slope of the hill. Once on the ridge its an easy pull to the 1st stop and the views across the moorland are spectacular. We took in the nearby top on the way to Beinn Achaladair and enjoyed the steep drops of the crags below the second munro. The going gets a bit more interesting on the ascent here, and I wouldn't want to do this is poor conditions or on ice. Not sure where Bio-man took his fall but if it was on this slope I can see how it could be possible. Once up at the summit the cairn is about as close to the edge of a drop off as it could get but the views down to Loch Tulla and across to Glencoe are impressive. Once you descend from the ridge and start back to the farm you can enjoy a series of nice waterfalls along the way. You also get a great perspective of Beinn an Dothaidh from below. This was a very enjoyable day out and the boggy bits were only a slight hassle when compared to the rest of the circuit. Here are some of the better pics from the day.
Frosty morning in Achaladair.jpg

Bridge over Water of Tulla.jpg

Black Wood of Rannoch.jpg

Gaining altitude - Loch Tulla.jpg

Lochan a'Chreachain.jpg

Summit of Beinn a' Chreachain .jpg

Ben Nevis.jpg

View of Glencoe peaks from Beinn a'Chreachain.jpg

Glencoe to Ben Nevis.jpg

What are the two peaks in the middle!.jpg

Beinn a' Chreachain .jpg

On the summit of Beinn Achaladair.jpg

Adam's 2nd munro.jpg

From the summit of Beinn Achaladair.jpg

Loch Tulla.jpg

View toward Killin and Crainlaraich.jpg

View from Coire Achaladair.jpg

Beinn an Dothaidh.jpg
Last edited by Stretch on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Beinn a'Chreachain and Beinn Achaladair

Postby mountain coward » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Great pictures and report! You look to have had a great day. I believe those 2 peaks in the 'What are the 2 peaks" pic are Ben More & Stobinian at Crianlarich... but it depends what direction you're looking really... if that wasn't the right direction I'll have another go at guessing! :)
mountain coward

Postby Stretch » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Cheers Mountain Coward, I thought it might be Ben More as Ben Nevis was directly behind me in this shot and from a larger map it almost lines up.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby John Burgess » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi Stretch,

Lovely report and photos. We were looking over to you from the hills between Rannoch and Loch Ossian. I've just posted a report and I'm guessing we'll see some more from the day. Fabulous wasn't it :D

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby kevsbald » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Cracking day had by all it seems. Great photaes. Stretch, you'll need to master the classic hill-walking summit pose. It needs some work.
Try getting your leg up on to a cairn or hand over eyes to the distance. As if you're the master surveying all. :lol:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Stretch » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Kevsbald, that is the classic 'I've stopped moving and my hands are now frozen' pose.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby Freewheelin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:52 am

Were you early enough to see the mist over Loch Tulla? 8) When I was passing (heading up for Stob Coire nan Lochan/Bidean nam Bian/Stob Coire Sgreamhach), it looked like there was a photography club's outing. must have been about half a dozen of 'em lined up lined up on the road and some more down on the 'beach'. It was the same once up onto Rannoch Moor - every parking space full of tripod humphers!

PS interesting fact for someone from the good ol US of A, did you know Beinn Achaladair is Scotland's version of Mount Rushmore?

We have a very important Scottish Character carved into that there hill!

020.JPG
Angus Ogg?

021.JPG
Sure is!

:lol: :lol:
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland