walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

round coire ardrain, stob garbh and...

round coire ardrain, stob garbh and...

Postby dunrig » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 13/03/2012

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Need a couple of days free to get away and explore somewhere new, hopefully soon. With one day free, this is a route I've done before and a hill I've been up many times.
This is a good horseshoe from the station at crianlarich, for all you baggers out there it goes over the munro top stob garbh(does anyone still do these?) as well as cruach ardrain and ben tulaichean - if you want. Its simple, take the forestry track over allt coire ardrain-walk up alongside end of forestry to point 752 (harvey's map)-step up some grassy humps to stob garbh-weave down through craigs,lochans to bealach-steep pull up to cruach ardain-down over meall dhamh, grey height back to forestry track and station. Just a couple of words of caution, in the mist take care weaving down through craigs from stob garbh lots of dead ends, also the path from bealach up to cruach ardrain is quite steep not really the place for anybody inexperienced if its covered in snow.
The clag was down all day for me. Whenever the hills are like this I think of syd scroggie and the enjoyment he got from memory, sound, just the feeling of being out on the hill despite having been blinded in the war- stops me complaining. Anyway had hill to myself(well me & ptarmigan) all day apart from summit of cruach ardain where I met a lone munro bagger and then party of 4 arrived just as I was leaving-they had all come up from inverlochlarig.
here are some admittedly not very good pictures not sure they are in the right order afraid i am a techno feartie
P1000256.JPG
way up
P1000264.JPG
P1000288.JPG
nondescript top of top stob garbh
P1000292.JPG
lots lochans on way down
P1000293.JPG
dead end
P1000300.JPG
P1000303.JPG
ptarmigan
P1000313.JPG
end path to cruach ardrain summit
P1000312.JPG
nothing to see
P1000342.JPG
cloud covered horseshoe
[attachment=4]
Attachments
P1000355.JPG
take care
P1000334.JPG
view back to start
P1000350.JPG
way down
P1000304.JPG
Last edited by dunrig on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dunrig

Re: round coire ardrain, stob garbh and...

Postby dunrig » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:41 pm

and forgot I had a bonus walk at the end along river fillan- here's picture of the railway bridge in the gloaming
P1000368.JPG
dunrig

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland