walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A beautiful winters day...

A beautiful winters day...

Postby njcuthbert » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:59 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 28/01/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18.3 km

Ascent: 1010m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Training walk no. 3 for the 13in24 challenge see http://www.facebook.com/13in24 for more details. After only climbing Cock Cairn in Glen Tanar the week before we were looking to stretch our legs a little more on this training walk. It was a reasonably early start leaving Aberdeen at 7am. We were parked up at the Sean Spittal Bridge and ready to start at 8.45am. It was cold morning with the car reading -3oC before we got going.

Our route took us up Carn an Tuirc across to Tolmount and Tom Buidhe and finally back over to the Cairn of Claise. We started off the climb to Tuirc in the shadow and it was bitterly cold, although once we got our sweat on it was reasonably warm. It was to get even warmer when we reached the top and the sun was beating down. On the way up we managed to just about miss the climb through the scree but could've done with being a little further north as the scree slope was tough going. It was all the more frustrating to see a couple of mountain hares bounding up the slope in front of us. Once we reached the top though it was most definitely worth it.
hillwalking 228.jpg
Looking back down to Glenshee

hillwalking 242.jpg
View over to the Cairngorms, slightly obscured by a bit of whispy cloud

hillwalking 250.jpg
Worthy of National Geographic?

hillwalking 257.jpg
Group shot

hillwalking 258.jpg
Great weather

We made our way down towards Tolmount spotting about 20 deer running down away towards Garbh coire. We made it to Tolmount in good time but didn't hang around for long as it was chilly at the top. We followed some footprints down into the col then followed them up to Tom Buidhe. The summit was quite busy so we decided to descend towards our next target Claise and stop for lunch in the col. The sun went behind the clouds when we stopped and it was freezing so it was a quick stop and we motored on to Claise. We met more folk at the summit and discussed our route down with them. They had come from Glas Maol and we were considering going for that as well, but Rich had ran out of water so we decided to call it a day and head back to the car. Wishing we parked a further south in the other car park as the march back up the A93 to the lay-by at the bridge wasn't good on the feet, with the boots steaming when we took them off at the car.

Another great training walk though and we had a walk the next day with Carn Bhac and Beinn Lutharn Mhor the targets.
hillwalking 270.jpg
Tolmount summit views

hillwalking 289.jpg
Summit of Cairn of Claise

hillwalking 290.jpg
Towards Glas Maol

hillwalking 298.jpg
Tracks leading the way down
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

njcuthbert
Mountain Walker

Munros:79   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: A beautiful winters day...

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Fantastic!

Jealous? Me? Not at all.......

Really missed not getting to the hills in winter nick this year, but seeing photos helps!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby njcuthbert » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Fantastic!

Jealous? Me? Not at all.......

Really missed not getting to the hills in winter nick this year, but seeing photos helps!

Yea what a cracking day. Look out for some more of my reports (coming soon!) with some more winter pics. This is the first season that I have been winter walking and I'm loving it, the only thing I don't enjoy is my freezing cold hands! :lol:
njcuthbert
Mountain Walker

Munros:79   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby SMRussell » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Some lovely snaps in there - nice hills these. Very pretty in their winter coats :D
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland