walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blackmount 2

Blackmount 2

Postby sjb101 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 17/03/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1189m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Id wanted to climb these two hills for some time but just never got round to it,mainly as id changed plans last second to go elsewhere,but today i was sticking to the plan as the weather seemed to be on my side and its not often that happens.
I arrived at the car park around 8am and was soon on my way.I hadnt been out in the west since it was covered in snow and wasnt sure how much would be left,i could see from the car park it was just the tops that had a tiny amount of snow on them but didnt want to get all the way to the ridge and find it smothered in ice so opted for the winter boots.
IMGP1447.JPG

Ive heard a lot of folks talking about the route from the bealach between these two hills to the little AE ridge as being pretty steep and loose and this was on my mind pretty much all the way up Stob a'Choire Odhair,nusure whether id manage the two or would have to settle for one i pressed on up the steep winding path and was soon looking out over Rannoch moor.
IMGP1458.JPG
IMGP1457.JPG

Looking over at my next target i could see a fair amount of snow hanging in the gullies and again wondered what my route would be like,only one way to find out so headed down to the bealach for a better look.
IMGP1465.JPG
IMGP1470.JPG

Once i reached the point of ascent i had put the idea into my head that this was gonna be an epic climb up a scary slope,i followed a faint path for what only felt about 10 mins up the steep bouldery slope and emereged onto a broad ridge,wheres the scary bit i thought,am i on the wrong hill?nope,i was on the right hill alright,id just convinced myself it was gonna be a hair raiser and it really wasnt,funny how the mind runs wild.few,i felt so relieved,all that fussing for nothing.Now onto the fun part tho,the ridge itself was great fun,even if it was snowing by now.
IMGP1480.JPG
IMGP1483.JPG
IMGP1485.JPG

Sadly the ridge didnt take long at all to cross and i was soon on top of Stob Ghabhar,what a view from here.
IMGP1506.JPG
IMGP1498.JPG

Had my lunch and sat for a good bit before i started to get a bit cold,could have sat and looked at the views all day but decided to head down and take the walk out while the sun was shining,the waterfalls on the outward route are stunning.
IMGP1512.JPG

It was about this point i figured that wearing scarpa cumbre's when theres no snow around is a nightmare :lol:
I had to steep my feet in the river before walking out to the car,ouch.
IMGP1520.JPG
sjb101

Munros:117   

Re: Blackmount 2

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Well done sjb101.. I had the same fear when i was doing these 2 on my own. But really enjoyed them. Lovely pics
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gavin99 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Nice report , I like the description of your mind running wild, glad I'm not the only one that suffers :crazy: :lol:
Lovely photos , like the one looking out over Rannoch moor.
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Nice report and picture's

We were the same as you about crossing the ridge never told ma pals till we had crossed it :lol: and they said is that it :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby monty » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Nice report sjb101. Great set of photos. :D
monty

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Fantastic day out by the looks of it, love the waterfall picture.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby pigeon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Well done tackling these 2,great hills :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby sjb101 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Cheers everyone for kind comments,had a great day on these 2,and glad im not the only worrier also :lol:
sjb101

Munros:117   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland