walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chlachair 3 - trying not to Laggan behind!

Beinn a'Chlachair 3 - trying not to Laggan behind!

Postby fipriestley » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlachair, Creag Pitridh, Geal chàrn (Laggan)

Date walked: 17/03/2012

Time taken: 7.75 hours

Distance: 26 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

3 of us on this trip to Loch Laggan, which meant instead of lagging behind keeping pace with the back of the group as I often do, I (almost!) kept pace with the speedier front runners :shock: Legs are really paying for it today - shins are in agony and knees are a wee bit sore too :( Not enough to stop me doing the 100ft high assault course at Ratho today, so I'm sure I'll be just fine! :lol:

The day started fairly clear, there were what felt like just 5 drops of rain before the first ascent, followed by a couple of snow flurries and clag with glimpses of views at the tops... then the third summit was all clear and it was a beautiful day! I had to update one of my earlier reports as I had the Geal Charns mixed up - the one on this walk was part of a natural set.

SDC12914.JPG
Beinn a'Chlachair across the reservoir
IMAG0875.jpg
Lochan na h-Earba

Left the track and went up through the boggy ground then around the corrie to reach Beinn a'Chlachair summit after a couple of short rock climbs.
SDC12921.JPG
SDC12924.JPG
heading around the corrie (view soon disappeared!)

Beinn a'Chlachair summit was reached in the clag so after a quick lunch stop we set off for Geal Charn. WH guide says this looks (and is!) a long way off, but I wouldn't have known otherwise! Back round the top of the corrie, then once we could see the path across on the next hill it was straight down - literally for me :shock: :roll: The short snow spells had still felt fairly dry, like being in a packaging factory with wee styrofoam balls, so I hadn't felt the need to put waterproof over-trousers on... which of course meant I had a few slides coming down this first steep descent :problem:

Heading up Geal Charn the sky occasionally cleared. A short dip before reaching the cairn meant crossing a snow patch - no ice axe with me today but the snow was soft.
SDC12932.JPG
IMAG0880.jpg
snow patch on Geal Charn
IMAG0882.jpg
hard to miss Geal Charn summit!
SDC12939.JPG
at Geal Charn's barely noticeable summit cairn :P
SDC12950.JPG
Beinn a'Chlachair and beyond from Geal Charn summit

Now the clag was gone, it was off to Creag Pitridh. In clear view, tiring after 2 Munros at speed, I still thought 'is that it?!' :? Still needed to push myself to get up there though! :lol:
IMAG0890.jpg
Creag Pitridh, coming from Geal Charn
SDC12957.JPG
SDC12958.JPG
Back down through the mush but I'd managed not to fall since that first downhill so was dried out by the time we were back at the car :D
IMAG0895.jpg
return past the Lochan
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Beinn a'Chlachair 3 - trying not to Laggan behind!

Postby scoob999 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:31 am

Another great report Fi :D
And have you got a new camera? i noticed your photos seem to be of a much better quality :D
Still feel under pressure that your gaining on me :lol: :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby fipriestley » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:25 am

Thanks Scoob! Actually used my camera most of this trip (usually just use phone) as it was mostly dry enough to keep it out the backpack :D
I'll make 50 this weekend! Now have to keep reminding myself I'm not racing... figure I'll go for the 100 before the end of the year though :lol: :lol:
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby scoob999 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:30 am

fipriestley wrote:I'll make 50 this weekend! :

:shock:
I'll have to look for a group of three for sunday then :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby quoman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:07 am

Hi Fiona
You are fairly racking them up,nice picture's and report hope your 50 goes well.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:38 am

Great report FP, looks a little windy in the first 2 pics and damn cold in the 4th one :lol: I love the shot of the footprints crossing the snow bank :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ianaird » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:18 am

Nice report Fiona, i was up these hill's the same day as yourself with my dad.
Walk was great but got back to the car to find a flat tyre on the car :-x grrrr, but still had a good day...
ianaird
Rambler

Munros:125   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby kevsbald » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:20 am

Some lovely clear photos of Clachair - got snowed in last May so nice to see what it looks like.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland