walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Derry Cairngorm and Beinn Mheadhoin

Derry Cairngorm and Beinn Mheadhoin

Postby soapy27 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:28 am

Route description: Beinn Mheadhoin & Derry Cairngorm, Deeside

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 17/03/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 31 km

Ascent: 1211m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As i promised i would be back to do these in the near future with the forecast looking good today was that day. I left the car park at 830 on foot this time (no bike) as was needing a long day walking to get fit for doing the West Highland Way in may and a good 20 miler was sure to do the trick.The trip to Derry Lodge took about an hour of easy walking along the landrover track where we met 4 mountain rescue landrovers looks like they were on a training excercise.
After crosing the bridge it was a steady climb up the hill towards Derry Cairngorm through the pines ,wanted to have the long walk out at the end oppose to a long walk in (which i was glad as my feet were feeling it at around the 14mile mark and the boulder field on DC would have been hard going ).We arrived at the summit of Derry Cairngorm in 3 hours from the car with the wind very gusty so we thought we'll head down a bit for our lunch at Loch Etchachan (probably the most stunning place ive ever sat and had my piece to date.
Looking up from the bealach the climb up Beinn Mheadhoin looked a steep relentless slog but once onto to it as always wasnt as bad as initially thought and soon levelled off to a nice final ascent up to the tors which look even bigger in real life .The climb up the summit tor was quite simple aswell even the dog (Archie) made it right up :lol: but we were greeted at the top by what can only be described as ferocious wind so we didnt hang around for to long. Now we had a long trip back to the car we thought maybe 2 hours from here haha it was more like 3.5 hours but very enjoyable along a great path not to steep and the sun was out the whole time apart from a 5 minute squally shower. 9 hours after leavin the car we arrived back at the car totally spent my legs felt like lead but all worth it on another amazing day in the Cairngorms
DSC00114.JPG
Looking doown Glen Lui
DSC00119.JPG
Cornice looking over Glen Derry
DSC00122.JPG
Panoramic Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm
DSC00123.JPG
Cairn Toul and Ben Macdui
DSC00126.JPG
Bein Mheadhoitn from Derry Cairgorm
DSC00127.JPG
Ben Macdui and Cairn Toul
DSC00129.JPG
Panoramic from Derry Cairngorm
DSC00133.JPG
Ben Macdui
DSC00139.JPG
Loch Etchachan pano
DSC00144.JPG
Loch Etchachan 2
DSC00145.JPG
Loch Etchachan 3
DSC00148.JPG
Tors
DSC00150.JPG
DSC00151.JPG
spot the dog
DSC00154.JPG
DSC00159.JPG
Pano of Derry Cairngorm Ben Macdui and Loch Etchachan
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Re: Derry Cairngorm and Beinn Mheadhoin

Postby kev_russ » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:18 pm

Bootiful pics :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby SMRussell » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:25 pm

Grand stuff - did Carn a'Mhaim, Ben Macdui & Derry Cairngorm in dense clag last 'summer' and saw diddly-squat :lol:
Some lovely photos there - Great to see some of what we missed.

The 'Spot the dog' photo gave me a grin :D
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby quoman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:50 pm

Lovely photo's and good report like the pic of the tor wi you and the dog on it well done.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby CheeseHat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:33 pm

Looks like a great day out - those mountains look so great with the snow patches on them.

I'll be spending a few days in Braemar over Easter, so hoping for some similar weather and will be doing this same walk, I think. Beinn Mheadhoin is the big goal for the trip anyway.

Good luck with the rest of your training for the West Highland Way.
CheeseHat
Hill Bagger

Munros:170   Corbetts:42
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby soapy27 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Thanks for all comments folks would highly recommend these hills to anyone especially when the weathers like this trully amazing day even though a bit windy :D
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Great set of photos Soapy and a nice bog walk. :D
monty

Postby pigeon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Nice one soapy ,did this very walk last week in similar conditions,good training for your west highland way :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:40 am

Lovely pictures. Cairngorms in full glory :D
Beinn Mheadhoin is high on my priority list, I considered tackling it last weekend (from Coire Cas via Shelter Stone) but wasn't sure about weather. It looks like I needn't have worried, should have gone for it. Well, I did two Munros in Drumochter instead so no damage done :lol: But my appetite for a big Cairngorm trip is now enormous!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:38 pm

Great report and photos. :D I've still to do these two but coming from the north not sure which way to do it. It's a long drive to Lin of Dee but I fancy doing it that way.

I almost did Beinn Mheadhoin via Shelter Stone but my pal broke her ankle before we got to the top and we were airlifted out! :shock:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby soapy27 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:34 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Lovely pictures. Cairngorms in full glory :D
Beinn Mheadhoin is high on my priority list, I considered tackling it last weekend (from Coire Cas via Shelter Stone) but wasn't sure about weather. It looks like I needn't have worried, should have gone for it. Well, I did two Munros in Drumochter instead so no damage done :lol: But my appetite for a big Cairngorm trip is now enormous!

Yeah BP you should have just went for it .Was a little windy but overall was a cracking day.I've done half the Cairgorms munro's now and these are easily my favourite although i would have liked to see the Shelter Stone so thats an excuse to come back and do them from the north.
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Postby soapy27 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:40 pm

dogplodder wrote:Great report and photos. :D I've still to do these two but coming from the north not sure which way to do it. It's a long drive to Lin of Dee but I fancy doing it that way.

I almost did Beinn Mheadhoin via Shelter Stone but my pal broke her ankle before we got to the top and we were airlifted out! :shock:

Thats very unfortunate about your friend hope shes ok. the boulder field on the top of Derry Cairngorm was very tricky and nearly went over my ankle aswell. You should definately get back and try again the distance from Linn of Dee took its toll but the scenery was well worth the effort.
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Postby soapy27 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks for all comments much appreciated its days in the hills like this that make it all worth the effort .Hopefully we get the weather for doing the WHW in May but im not sure thats possible to get 5 days good weather in a row in the Highlands .Fingers crossed :D
soapy27
Munro compleatist

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland