walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Bag of Ettricks

A Bag of Ettricks

Postby laconic surf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:45 am

Route description: Ettrick Hills horseshoe

Fionas included on this walk: Capel Fell, Ettrick Pen

Donalds included on this walk: Bodesbeck Law, Capel Fell, Ettrick Pen, Loch Fell, Wind Fell

Date walked: 17/03/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A beautiful saturday morning and a drive down into the heart of the borders to walk the Ettrick Horseshoe. No other cars at the start, just me and the hills. The walk began to ascend immediately though the forest until the path emerges above the tree tops and the first donald of the day, Bodesbeck Law comes into view.

IMG_0534.JPG
Start of the walk via right hand track through the trees

IMG_0538.JPG
View of Bodesbeck Law

The path was already pretty boggy, not helped by the amount of rainfall from the previous day. The views open up almost immediately. There is a summit cairn at the top which can only be reached by walking through a broken section in the wall and then climbing over the fence. The views were just spectacular...

IMG_0550.JPG
Section of broken wall and cairn at top of Bodesbeck Law

IMG_0552.JPG
Bodesbeck Law cairn

IMG_0554.JPG
View from top, I think to White Coomb

From here it was a case of following the wall down off Bodesbeck Law, along several tops before arriving at the foot of the Graham, Capel Fell. Once at the top, it offered great views to Croft Head. The summit is marked by a simple broken post.

IMG_0571.JPG
Looking towards the summit of Capel Fell

IMG_0575.JPG
View to Croft Head

Was just about ready for lunch but the top of Capel Fell was too boggy to sit anywhere so decided to head off downhill towards Wind Fell. Another steep descent led to a large area of peat hags. Here there is the opportunity to cross a stile over the fence and into Dumfries and Galloway to circle round them - is it just me or is everyone else treating the hags with more reverence after jonny616's recent report? :lol:

IMG_0580.JPG
Wind Fell

IMG_0586.JPG
Here come the peat hags!

IMG_0595.JPG
D&G side of the fence

Don't be tempted to cross too early - i tried this and had to beat a hasty retreat as I started sinking! I skirted right round to the foot of Wind Fell's neighbour Loch Fell and began to climb this before crossing over to Wind Fell, when a wee bell rang somewhere in my mind. A quick check on WH via the phone confirmed it - Loch Fell is a donald not listed on this walk even though your at the foot of it! Quick detour to the summit and the only trig point of the day. Back down and then the slog up Wind Fell. Another bog fest at the top here, again just a stick in a peat hag to mark the high point. A quick tap with the pole and I was off again to search for somewhere perchable for lunch :D
Ettrick pen was now in sight but at the top of Hopetoun Craig set back from the path was a lovely cairn - and a great spot for lunch (finally!)

IMG_0609.JPG
The Hopetoun diner :)

IMG_0611.JPG
Etterick Pen

The pull up to Ettrick pen was a tough one as the toll from the previous hills set in. At the top here is an ancient cairn showing its age

IMG_0612.JPG
Etterick Pen cairn

From here the path stops so a wee bit of navigation is required to head west. The hill descends very steeply as a path through the trees becomes apparant ahead and the outline of Over Phawhope Bothy can be seen. A lovely path alongside a fast flowing burn leads to the bothy where I popped in for a quick rest and refreshment and sign the visitors book.

IMG_0619.JPG
Path down to Over Phawhope Bothy

IMG_0621.JPG

From here the Southern Upland Way is picked up, through a deserted farmhouse and back to the start. A really great day to be outdoors, sun shining, hills to climb, beautiful scenery. What more can you ask for? :D
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Re: A Bag of Ettricks

Postby Higherthanhigh » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Nice report. That's quite a collection of hills in one trip! I was there end of last year and completely missed Loch Fell until I got home and realised it was a donald - gutted :lol:
Higherthanhigh
Ambler

Munros:22   
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Postby morag1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:06 pm

So you've given up on Edinburgh then :(

Well done on a good day out 8)
morag1

Postby laconic surf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Higherthanhigh wrote:Nice report. That's quite a collection of hills in one trip! I was there end of last year and completely missed Loch Fell until I got home and realised it was a donald - gutted :lol:

I know, it's nice to go for one walk and be able to tick off multiple hills - particularly when the weather was this nice :D

morag1 wrote:So you've given up on Edinburgh then :(

Well done on a good day out 8)

Never give up on Edinburgh :lol: Needed to climb higher hills, which meant leaving the Lothians! I'm planning on doing my first munro in 6 weeks so getting some serious miles and hills in between now and then :D
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland