walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glorious March day on Mount Keen

Glorious March day on Mount Keen

Postby howzat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:58 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 17/03/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When the Caledonian Sleeper from London to Inverness broke down at Milton Keynes the plans of my friend Clive (a seasoned Munro Bagger who has now knocked off around 180) for a fleeting 2 day 4-bagger were thwarted. Finding himself still at Edinburgh station when he should have been in Inverness setting off for the first day on the hills he decided a long weekend drinking in Edinburgh with yours truly was the preferred option. Anyway with the weather set fair for the weekend and the offer on the table of a weekend stopover with my sister in law and her husand (Hazel and Andrew) in Blairgowrie we decided that it was too good an opportunity for Clive to miss bagging one of the two remaining Munros in the area on his hit list and me to add to my 15 Munros! So that was how we found ourselves setting off for Mount Keen on a gloriously sunny March Saturday.

After a 1hr 20min drive from Blairgowrie we set off from the car park at Invermark at 10.30 am with Hazel & Andrew in tow.

IMG_4979.JPG
Andrew & Clive entering Glen Mark

Ater a very leisurely walk along Glen Mark passing the Queen's Well and Invermark Cottage we crossed the Easter Burn and followed the clear track up the Ladder Glen as it zig-zagged its way up to the moorlands.

IMG_4983.JPG
Clive walking up Glen Mark - map not needed today!

IMG_4986.JPG
Clive & I at the Queens Well

By the time we had reached the moorlands we had left Hazel & Andrew some distance behind us. They were quite happy for us to carry on at our pace as they were concerned they wouldn't make it. So off we strode.

IMG_4991.JPG
Views back down to Glen Esk

The route to the summit was obvious and easy going on an excellent path.
IMG_4994.JPG
Clear route to the summit

It wasn't long before we reached the top in around 2hrs 20mins.
IMG_4996.JPG
Me at the top of Mount Keen

IMG_4997.JPG
Clive nears the summit

IMG_4995.JPG
Superb views over to Lochnagar & the Cairngorms

IMG_4999.JPG
Starting the descent

IMG_5000.JPG
Final chance to take in the views

After a brief cup of tea, cheese roll and bag of crisps we decided to start the descent thinking that Hazel & Andrew would have long turned back to the car. However after about 10 minutes of starting back down we saw them slowly still making their way up. We decided to wait for them and go back with them to the summit. However with only a short distance before reaching the summit, around 820m, both decided to give in to dodgy knees, heavy legs, blisters and exhaustion which was a real shame given how far they had come. The return to the car was a long slow one but we made it back in around 5hrs 20mins after a thoroughly enjoyable day with the sun still shining! 8)
howzat

Munros:254   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Glorious March day on Mount Keen

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Looks like a cracking day :D . As for long weekends drinking in Edinburgh... no idea what you're talking about :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:24 pm

Great stuff Howzat, you certainly picked the right day to do this one. Brought back nice memories for me though I certainly didn't get a beautiful day like yours I stayed dry :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Luke88 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:44 am

I was sitting eating lunch beside the trig point when you were getting your photo taken beside it haha!
Luke88
Mountain Walker

Munros:89   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:4   

Postby quoman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:50 pm

What a cracking day you had for this hill.different from yesterday when i was up lochnagar.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:27 pm

Aye, glorious indeed! Looked like a cracker :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby monty » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Glorious day on the hills Howzat. Superb :D
monty

Postby KMHills » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Mr Howzat - here is a new member "KMHills" (as in Kentish Man). Thank you for showing me the extra benefits of the excellent WalkHighlands web site and for joining me on the stroll up Mount Keen. My IT skill are somewhat behind my skills on the hill but I've got this far. must do some more soon. 8) nice shades!
KMHills
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland