walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Bheithir

Beinn a'Bheithir

Postby jimandandrea » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:03 am

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 02/03/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11.3 km

Ascent: 1300m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Our last day of walking in Glencoe and we wanted.... please.... that we would see SOMETHING from the tops - even if its just one of them! NWIS - 50% chance of cloud free summits. Well it said 60% two days earlier.... we'll see.
Opted for a circular route starting at South Ballachulish rather than do the ridge Sgorr Bhan.
Signs up again that there was forestry work going on and the horseshoe would not be possible: though how it would not be possible was not really clear. Lead on MacDuff..
The way through the forest, although clearly marked, was not as I had plotted before we left. Oh, dear I hope this is not taking us somewhere else?

Should we not be over there?

Never mind. It'll be reet.
Impressive though and very moody skies.[/size]

The forest path was excellent and I am glad we stuck to our guns. Oh my goodness. Is that blue skies? I think it is you know. Excellent.
Leaving the forest

Looking up to the summit above we could see a lone walker making his way to a cloud free summit - fingers crossed. Maybe today is the day?

Quick, head to the top..... looks like its clearing...... looking good....

Views??? I must be dreaming!

Don't stop..... keep moving. We are going to do it!

As we stopped for the 11.00am nibbles, all was not well with the state of Denmark!
Its all went Pete Tong

Cheeeeze
But wait a minute. Who is this walking towards us from yonder ridge?

Unbelievable - ciderpeter accompanied today by his trusty companion Todd. What were the chances of that?

That's the ticket - another cloud free summit with stunning views and a scene to inspire. Could you take this picture of us ciderpeter? Cheers.

Excellent. Todd does not have opposable thumbs meaning that photography is not going to be one of his pastimes. He does however enjoy rolling in the moss, heather and grass which is a good substitute and he seemed quite unfazed.

Dropping down off Sgorr Dhearg we were once again faced with a possibility that maybe Dhonuill would be cloud free?

Maybe..

Looking back on Sgorr Dhearg

We are going to do it! Quick...

Damn it!

So that is Andrea, ciderpeter and Todd soaking in the views. We had a wee bite to eat and some tea and we hung about ....but it just started raining. OK, lets go. We parted with our company and wished them well as we continued on to find the way down - the horseshoe beckoned.

Can I just say that we should have retraced our steps as the descent here was NOT straightforward and although I normally relish a wee run down a scree slope at a pelt I can assure you this was not for the faint hearted and will not appear in my Top 100 things to do before you die list.
Actually this pic does not do it justice but I really felt quite strongly that my dear wife would not have smiled if I had taken a picture during the descent. No actually, I am positive!
On we went to find the path

The path to the forest

Then back to the car.

One week: 5 Munro's and no views from any of them. Maybe next time?

Just read Rockhopper's post who did this two days on - what a difference two days on. So that's what we should have seen!
Last edited by jimandandrea on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Beinn a'Bheithir

Postby Stretch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:27 am

Stunning photos by you guys and Rockhopper. A bunch of us did this in pretty terrible conditions at one of the first WH meet-ups.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:13 am

Good stuff and great pictures to boot - amazing the difference a few days makes in the snow cover. Don't think my pictures of these hills would have been anywhere near as good as yours even if my camera was working - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Klaasloopt » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:00 am

I think, seeing these pictures, this trip counts as 'with views'... and I like your style of writing, no tiresome adverbs and adjectives and anthropomorphisms :lol:
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby mrssanta » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:11 am

oooh lovely moody pictures. I enjoyed that very much
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Tomsie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:11 am

Cracking photo's and scenery, looks nice there
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby audreywaugh » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:12 am

Great report and pics, glad you managed a view! I know exactly what you mean by that scree, I came down that way, was not nice at all. :shock: Nice walk back through the forest though :D
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby ciderpeter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:13 am

Nice report Jim and Andrea, great pics too... Amazing the difference in our pics, yours are stunning. another reason to get a 7D!! My reports are in progress :)

Pleasure walking with you both - hopefully catch up with you in the lakes soon :)
ciderpeter
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Hewitts:110

Postby jimandandrea » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:13 pm

rockhopper wrote:Good stuff and great pictures to boot - amazing the difference a few days makes in the snow cover. Don't think my pictures of these hills would have been anywhere near as good as yours even if my camera was working - cheers :D

Cheers, but yours were stunning with the snow. AND getting back to IKEA on time! (you did make it.... didn't you?)

Klaasloopt wrote:I think, seeing these pictures, this trip counts as 'with views'... and I like your style of writing, no tiresome adverbs and adjectives and anthropomorphisms :lol:

Thanks.... had to Google anthropomorphisms - have added it to my lexicon.

audreywaugh wrote:Great report and pics, glad you managed a view! I know exactly what you mean by that scree, I came down that way, was not nice at all. :shock: Nice walk back through the forest though :D

It came as a complete surprise- we thought we were going down the wrong way. The winter weather must have washed it out.

ciderpeter wrote:Nice report Jim and Andrea, great pics too... Amazing the difference in our pics, yours are stunning. another reason to get a 7D!! My reports are in progress :))

Don't use me as leverage. I had to wait till I was 50!!

Also thanks Tomsie and mrssanta for the :thumbup: :thumbup:

Stretch - maybe make it one day to a WH walk. Sorry we never go to meet you.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Postby blanchie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:37 pm

Great report, Jim. I see the map calls your start South Ballachulish, but I think the residents of Glenachulish might object to that :)

I was checking for your descent off Sgurr Dhonaill - I went up that gully a couple of months ago when it was full of hard-packed snow. We had a quick chat with a couple who came down that way with their dog - I had been watching them gingerly descend - and they said ok with crampons. It was a lot steeper than I had anticipated, and though I had crampies on etc, I got to the point that my nose was virtually level with the steep cornice at the top........ and pulled out. I can't imagine its any better without the snow as there's nothing to bite into!
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:73
Wainwrights:113   

Postby jimandandrea » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:06 am

blanchie wrote:Great report, Jim. I see the map calls your start South Ballachulish, but I think the residents of Glenachulish might object to that :)

I stand corrected.
About the descent - not for the faint hearted. What made matters worse was the route was my decision, so you can imagine my dear wife was far from pleased (She kept saying things in a foreign language in an animated way). I honestly thought we were descending on the wrong route. It may not also have helped that its been so washed out with all the rain of late.
Cheers, :thumbup:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland