walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar 5

Lochnagar 5

Postby quoman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:06 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 19/03/2012

Time taken: 8.27 hours

Distance: 30.37 km

Ascent: 1413m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was walking last week up the Beinn a ghlo hills which took my total to 96 munro's so after putting my report up i asked anybody for suggestions to hit the 100 mark pigeon and Johnny corbbet suggested the 5 at lochnagar.So i had a look at their reports the pictures looked fantastic so that was that lochnagar it was.

Picked Alec and the dog up at 5am of we went got to the carpark at 7.35 the weather wasn't looking that good the mist was low awe well were here now :lol:
carpark.JPG
Away we went dead on 8.00 the hill is well pathed all the way to the top of lochnagar you can't go wrong never took any photo's because of the mist :( made good progress to a cairn where the path splits take the left path
DSC02154.JPG
path
the climb gets a wee bit steeper but nothing to bad made the bealach in good time walked acroos to see if the clag would lift so i could get a pic of the loch but no chance so away we went
100_1199.JPG
me on way up
the wind was blowing quite bad now i was quit **** off with the weather and i wasn't even on my first hill :lol: especially as the weather at the weekend was SUPERB i was working double shifts.

Anyway got to lochnagar 2hr18mins
lochnagar.JPG
me on summit
wounderfull views not so the rest of the walk was going to be like this at on point i thought to myself F%$k it lets go home but the urge to hit my 100th hill took over so we pressed on.The wind was blowin straight in over face's most of the way to Carn A Coire Bhoidheach
carn a' coire boidheach.JPG
summit
Didn't stop on we went to Carn An T-Sagairt Mor as we got down a bit it looked like the clag might lift fingers crossed followed the path up and round the side mist the path up it not by much 30 mtr, so gust went sraight up to the summit easy climb this hit the path half way up to the summit made the summit in ten mins
carn an t-sagairt mor.JPG
summit carn an t sagairt mor
on the way down could'nt belive what we saw some VIEWS
DSC02159.JPG
on the way to Cairn Bannoch
DSC02157.JPG
my target 100th cairn bannoch
carn bannoch1.JPG
cairn bannoch 100th munro for me
the wind was blowin us all over the place on the summit sat for 5 mins took some more pic's
DSC02158.JPG
across to lochnagar well almost
that pic was the best out of them all beacuse the wind was shaking the camera to much :lol:
DSC02169.JPG
Views back to Cairn Bannoch
DSC02170.JPG
We could see the last hill by now so on we went to Broad Cairn, the walk to the final munro was a good stroll made the summit in no time
broad cairn.JPG
summit #5 Broad Cairn
DSC02171.JPG
The wind on the tpo was so strong that we couldn't stand up :lol: Meet a couple as we sat on the summit from Aberdeen took there photo and they took ours made our way down now the walk back to the car is loooong but i enjoyed it more than the walk out of Beinn a ghlo the previous week.

Made our way to the sheep pen for a cup of soup and the rest of my lunch
100_1219.JPG
stats.jpg
stats pic taken today
So all in all it was a good day could have been better after the weekend weather we had but that's how it goes broke the 100 mark.
some pics of the walk to the car.
DSC02179.JPG
pano
DSC02178.JPG
Aelc and Bear
DSC02181.JPG
DSC02183.JPG
waterfall at the bridge
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Lochnagar 5

Postby alfie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:16 pm

congratulations quoman!!a plan on doing this walk very soon!well done on 100! :clap:
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2

Postby weescotsman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Congrats as well.... hoping to do this round of munros in the summertime and maybe even a wild camp if I can persuade my regular walking buddies to do so..... :lol:
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby PeteR » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Congrats on the 100 quoman :D Pity about the weather though :( You'll just have to return on a good day and do them all again and see the views that you missed :D That's what I have to do, as I had pretty much the same weather experience as you on this group. Still a good walk though :D

Here's to your next 100 :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Steve B » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Great effort and well done on the 100 milestone quoman. :clap: I still have these to do and with the weather in the west being generally poor think it might not be long away.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby iainwatson » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:26 pm

well done on reaching(and passing) the 100 mark,a fantastic achievement! :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Congrats on the ton Quoman, I think you picked the right place to reach it just not the right day. I love this area and the rolling hills around Loch Muick....maybe you'll have to go back and do it again :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:05 pm

weescotsman wrote:Congrats as well.... hoping to do this round of munros in the summertime and maybe even a wild camp if I can persuade my regular walking buddies to do so..... :lol:

Och, stay at Glas Allt Shiel.. far lighter than a tent :lol:

Well done Quoman, it doesn't look it, but it is a long walk this.. and a century as well! Just Excellent!
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby quoman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:26 pm

alfie wrote:congratulations quoman!!a plan on doing this walk very soon!well done on 100! :clap:

Cheers alfie
Pick a good day for it as the views are stunning.

weescotsman wrote:Congrats as well.... hoping to do this round of munros in the summertime and maybe even a wild camp if I can persuade my regular walking buddies to do so..... :lol:

Thanks weescotsman,
If your going to wild camp take the loch muick path there is plenty of places to camp

PeteR wrote:Congrats on the 100 quoman :D Pity about the weather though :( You'll just have to return on a good day and do them all again and see the views that you missed :D That's what I have to do, as I had pretty much the same weather experience as you on this group. Still a good walk though :D

Here's to your next 100 :D

Cheers Peter
I would think about going back but just to lochnagar to get the view from there,and the next 100 hopfully this year.

Steve B wrote:Great effort and well done on the 100 milestone quoman. :clap: I still have these to do and with the weather in the west being generally poor think it might not be long away.

Thanks Steve
Just pick a good day.

iainwatson wrote:well done on reaching(and passing) the 100 mark,a fantastic achievement! :D

Cheers Ian
It was just a pitty we had bad weather.

ChrisW wrote:Congrats on the ton Quoman, I think you picked the right place to reach it just not the right day. I love this area and the rolling hills around Loch Muick....maybe you'll have to go back and do it again :lol:

Thanks Chris,
Sure did pick the wrong day but we still enjoyed the walk would go back to do lochnagar only :lol: to get the views.

basscadet wrote:

Och, stay at Glas Allt Shiel.. far lighter than a tent :lol:

Well done Quoman, it doesn't look it, but it is a long walk this.. and a century as well! Just Excellent!

cheers basscadet
I thought the walk out would have been longer but it passed quite quick or so it seemed :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Congratualtions Quoman on reaching a rather speedy 100!!! :clap: :clap:

Brilliant report and very useful to a big daftie like me :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to head up to Lochnagar. I intend doing this very very soon.

Well done once again :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby luckyguy68 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Some good photos there considering it was blowing a gale. How long has it taken to reach the 100?
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Gavin99 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Congratulations , well done on keeping going , that's a grand walk , hope to be up there soon myself . Bear is fair notching them up too ! :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:46 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Congratualtions Quoman on reaching a rather speedy 100!!! :clap: :clap:

Brilliant report and very useful to a big daftie like me :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to head up to Lochnagar. I intend doing this very very soon.

Well done once again :clap:

Thanks polly,
Even a big daftie like you could manage this walk its pathed most of the way :lol: and if you get a clear day even better.

luckyguy68 wrote:Some good photos there considering it was blowing a gale. How long has it taken to reach the 100?

Aye it was some day,it took about 18months i think i cant remember when i started but once you start to do multiple hills your count shoots up.

Gavin99 wrote:Congratulations , well done on keeping going , that's a grand walk , hope to be up there soon myself . Bear is fair notching them up too ! :D

Cheers Gavin.
my heart wasnt in it when i was in the clag and freezing wind, but thought about the 100th and pushed myself through it.
I she's away all the time wi us.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:57 pm

You realise Quoman, that now I know that we started about the same time, and we are at about the same stage in the munro count, things may well get competitive between us.. :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby pigeon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Pity about the weather quoman,still,well done on getting to the hundred,aw the best for the rest :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland