walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A week in Kinlochewe: Slioch

A week in Kinlochewe: Slioch

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:10 am

Route description: Slioch, near Kinlochewe

Munros included on this walk: Slioch

Date walked: 14/03/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1325m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At last a decent bit of weather. Slioch!!! I had first seen Slioch when I did the Cape Wrath Trail a few years ago and had been wanting to come back ever since. We nearly did it last year but I wasn’t feeling too great so we just came home instead.

It wasn’t raining, the clouds were quite high, the sun was almost shining. So off we went up the road from Kinlochewe to the turn off for Incheril. Going through the car park beyond the houses we started the walk in towards Loch Maree, a very pleasant walk through the trees along the Kinlochewe River.
DSCN0917.JPG
As Slioch came into view we kept taking photos in case the weather deteriorated!
DSCN0920.JPG
After crossing the bridge over the Abhainn an Fhasaigh we headed up the deep cleft of Gleann Bianasdail with its towering cliffs before turning off up the hillside to reach the bealach between Meall Each and Sgurr Dubh. On the way we encountered a couple of goats with very long horns but they weren’t as smelly as the ones you see on Loch Lomondside.

We entered the corrie, enclosed by the two arms of the mountain and made for the south east ridge.
DSCN0933.JPG
A steep climb up a heathery, grassy slope led to the ridge, close to a couple of lochans.
DSCN0935.JPG
climbing up to the ridge
DSCN0936.JPG
The weather was still fine, there were great views across to the hills on the other side of Loch Maree.
DSCN0941.JPG
A steep, very eroded path leads up to the cairn. Magic!!!
DSCN0942.JPG
A very tame ptarmigan posed for me on the way up.
DSCN0939.JPG

The wind was very cold so we continued on our way finding some shelter behind rocks overlooking Lochan Fada. Again there were spectacular views across Fisherfield and even An Teallach.
DSCN0947.JPG
DSCN0948.JPG
When we emerged on to the ridge the wind had become much stronger. The ridge becomes quite narrow as you approach Sgurr an Tuill Bhain
DSCN0953.JPG
but then after that it is a fairly straightforward descent in to the glen and a long walk out again, stopping to admire waterfalls along the way,
DSCN0961.JPG
to Kinlochewe.
DSCN0964.JPG
A brilliant day.
DSCN0969.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: A week in Kinlochewe: Slioch

Postby Steve B » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:33 am

Nice report, shows good detail on the route and will be useful in the future. It looks like it will not be long to compleat? :)
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:09 am

Hoping to compleat this year but still got a lot to do. And they are all a long way from home.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Graeme D » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:23 pm

A classic mountain, whether to be on or to be looking at from afar. Didn't get the best of days for doing this one myself a few years back, but most certainly on the do again list for sometime in the future.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby basscadet » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Oh is that what slioch looks like :D nice pics!
It was heavy rain for me doing this one.. The path on the way down was a raging torrent... Pretty waterfalls though I spose! I might have to do it again.. :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby KeithS » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:42 pm

It truly is a beautiful area and your pictures show it nicely.

I lost my views on the way up Slioch at about the point you took took the picture of Loch Marie.

I wish I was there now :(

I will be in a few weeks :D :D :D
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland