walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh - A walk on a beautiful spring day

Meall Ghaordaidh - A walk on a beautiful spring day

Postby Jockstar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 17/03/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1039m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were keen to get started on our second Munro of the year and set off at just after six in the morning to make sure that we got a parking space in the wee layby down Glen Lochay just after the sign pointing the way to Meall Ghaordaidh. As it happens we were the first there but before long other walkers arrived and we were glad that we had got our car safely parked up.

P1010770.JPG
Su showing me the way!

It looked as if it was going to be a bright sunny day and right enough the sun quickly came up whilst walking along the rough track and climbing over the stile, much to Ruby’s disbelief as she darted under the padlocked gate! We set a steady pace and on seeing the pole that marked the path to the left we set off in a north west direction before arriving at the small cairn.

P1010774.JPG
Wee cairn

We didn’t realise that the way to the shoulder of the hill that leads to Meall Ghaordaidh was not the path straight ahead but should have carried on in a north west direction and as we carried on it is described in the WH walk it is mostly grassy and wet!

P1010783.JPG
Meall Ghaordaidh with its winter hat on!

DSCF0842.JPG
A wee snow flurry!

However we were happy with the pace and even the boggy ground - and I impressed on Su how good this was for a bit of stamina training for the Kintail weekend. Needless to say she didn’t seem to agree. As we kept moving towards our target we realised that we needed to be heading towards the shoulder and hopefully some sort of path. It turned out that this Munro and paths don’t really appear until you are almost at the bottom of the steeper ascent to the cairn.
We stopped and had a bit of lunch behind a large rock which gave us shelter from the odd winter squall that came and went all day and so pleased that we looked like getting a good day to see all around us. Su was snapping away and took some great panoramic pics.

P1010785.JPG
Lunchtime - sheltering from the wind

DSCF0849.JPG
Lawyers and Tarmachan

Before long after a number of false summits we had managed the path up to the top and met a few folk already in the stone circle that gave respite from the wind,duly taking photos and having another bite to eat before setting off back down the shoulder.

DSCF0847.JPG
Second Munro for Ruby

P1010789.JPG
Towards Beinn Sheasgarnaich

P1010796.JPG
superb views towards Ben More

It wasn’t long before we were in our stride and making good time down the hill when we came across Rocket Ron and Charlie the Labrador. It’s always good to meet other WH people and we had a good blether before Ronald told us what he was doing in these parts and I was exhausted just listening to his agenda for the next couple of days!

DSCF0858.JPG
Rocket Ron, Bri, Charlie and Ruby

DSCF0860.JPG
Rocket Ron, Su, Charlie and Su

As we got to our car we also struck up a conversation with Martin who turned out to be Banditman On the WH site and had another blether so it’s a great advert for getting out and about on the hills, meeting people and hearing what they had done.
Last edited by Jockstar on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh - A walk on a beautiful spring day

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Nice one Brian,good to see you & Sue getting some training in before Kintail.

How mush training have you done for all the drinking that will be done :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:51 pm

Enjoyable report and some great pictures :D Always good to see what I missed the day it rained on me up this one :lol: Definitely one to return to, along with the Corbett next door :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby rocket-ron » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 pm

nice meeting you 2 + ruby see you at kintail
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby quoman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi Jockstar.

Cracking weather you and Su had, you can see how he's known as Rocket Ron he's half our age and twice as fit by the look of him :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Jockstar » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:36 am

As a highly trained athlete I'm always towards the top of my form..........Hic! Hic!
Last edited by Jockstar on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Postby 2dalmatians » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:00 am

Nice report jockstar. And pics. I climbed this one a few weeks ago - my second attempt in 2 weeks as the first time I had to turn back due to the snow/ice/fear factor! I think we (my ruby and me) had our lunch at the same big rock too. It seems to be a focal point on the horizon. When I was there there was a hat, gloves and hibs scarf frozen to the cairn. We're they still there? Wouldn't be surprised if the only thing left was the scarf! :lol: :lol: congrats to your ruby too on no2- if that makes sense :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby iainwatson » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:50 am

brilliant! the summit pic is fantastic and is one to be framed and put on the wall!
as is the one with the view to ben more,

look forward to seeing you in Kintail! :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby jonny616 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:30 pm

Great stuff you two. Busy hill that day. A WH mini meet. Kintail time soon :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby monty » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:03 pm

Nice report Jockstar and good to meet other WH'ders on the hills. See you in Kintail. :D
monty

Postby Banditman » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi Brian + Su,
Great photos as promised. I won't bother showing the ones I took then :lol: Enjoyed the blether. I'll look forward to the reports of the Kintail weekend.

Martin
Banditman
Scrambler

Munros:263   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:11

Postby Jockstar » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:35 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Nice one Brian,good to see you & Sue getting some training in before Kintail.

How mush training have you done for all the drinking that will be done :lol: :lol:

Gammy - I am a highly trained athlete and am ready for the challenge!!!
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Postby Stretch » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:11 pm

Jockstar wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:Nice one Brian,good to see you & Sue getting some training in before Kintail.

Nevermind the drinking, make sure you do some kind of death-defying scramble while you're in Kintail . . . I nearly fell asleep reading this because there was no sense of danger! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby Jockstar » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:26 pm

Stretch wrote:
Jockstar wrote:

Nevermind the drinking, make sure you do some kind of death-defying scramble while you're in Kintail . . . I nearly fell asleep reading this because there was no sense of danger! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait till you see the photos of Su in Kintail on a wee scramble!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Postby fipriestley » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:19 am

Great pics, thanks Jockstar -this one's on my radar, possibly for this weekend.
Very tempted to join in next weekend too - joy of meeting other walkers & drinkers in Kintail slightly outweighing thoughts of being the only 'newbie' :lol: :think:
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland