walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loweswater Fells

Loweswater Fells

Postby DaveB1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blake Fell, Burnbank Fell, Gavel Fell, Hen Comb, Mellbreak

Date walked: 11/03/2012

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 15.4 km

Ascent: 1154m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was looking forward to this walk a bit too much, as I'd read the MWIS report on Friday and seen 'superb visibility' etc., Jim, Lassie the dog and me, 5 Wainwrights for the list and a cracking day. To say I was optimistic would be a serious understatement. So Sunday morning dawned picking Jim and Lassie up at 0730 and heading north. The Howgills looked great in the early sun, but glances westward were not too good, compounded by Jim saying' there's fog y'know!' WHAT!!!? says I. 'I read the MWIS this morning at 7 it said fog' he replied. My heart sank as we drove on and slowly into the overcast skies above Loweswater. :( So here was the route, I would have said plan but those of you who can be bothered may spot the 'following the wrong fence trick' we decided to try in the b****y fog! :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked at Maggies Bridge and headed for Holme Wood, climbing across the wood till we reached the open fell and then turned right then steeply left over Carling Knott to reach the summit of Burnbank Fell. A quiet spot and because the fog was down, no views anywhere, so we plodded onwards with a reasonable amount of splashing, althought it was 'dry' or maybe that's 'not raining'.
Blake Fell came and went in the fog and so we headed off to Gavel Fell; now you may be wondering where the photos were of the start and the tops of Burnbank and Blake Fell. Well they're still up there with the camera that took them. I know I had it on the summit of Blake Fell, but then we did the 'wrong fence trick' and as we reached the bottom of Coomb Gill on the direct route to Gavel Fell, I realised it had dropped out of my case on the rucksack's waistbelt. So if anyone finds a Nikon L4 Coolpix in blue, 'needles in haystacks' comes to mind, a suitable reward will be provided.
Phone Pictures 009.jpg
View from Gavel Fell

This was the view from Gavel Fell although it might have been anywhere you'd never be able to tell!
On Gavel Fell we met our first fellow nutcase, sorry walker and had a good chat, it was his first time out for months after surgery to his knee so he was buzzing and off to do Blake Fell. I told him of the camera incident and he promised to look, it would be a miracle if he finds it! But one lives in hope.
This was the view up to Hen Comb
Phone Pictures 011.jpg
The way up to Hen Comb

You will have the idea by now. The summit was okay and on a warm summers day a good spot to linger, but today a quick coffee, bit to eat and off down towards the top of Mosedale (one of the many) and the bealach before Mellbreak
Phone Pictures 012.jpg
Bealach in the distance

The path was clear but wet and as we splashed along the sun tried but failed to break through
Phone Pictures 013.jpg
it tried

Once again we turned left and climbed up towards the summit of Mellbreak. Jim said that a blog he follows named it as a favourite fell, so I had hopes of things improving! We reached the top and flopped down as it was nice and grassy, when lo and behold the sun came out and the views started to appear.
Phone Pictures 020.jpg
Views

Phone Pictures 029.jpg
and another

Phone Pictures 030.jpg
and another

We relaxed, it was warm and agreed that the initial disappointment was rapidly disappearing with the sun and the views, nevertheless we headed for the northern summit of Mellbreak.
Phone Pictures 028.jpg
Northern Summit Mellbreak

We hoped that the views from there would be good too, but as you can see.
Phone Pictures 031.jpg
Mellbreak view

Back to normal!! The descent proved quite hairy and very steep especially as legs were getting tired, but there was a little scree running and plenty of involuntary curses before we reached the bottom.
Phone Pictures 033.jpg
Mellbreak descent

The walk down the lanes back to the car was very pleasant as was the stop in the Farmers Arms, Portinscale, they let Jim bring Lassie in.
On reflection I'd ticked off 5 more Wainwrights and it hadn't rained, but oh how I wish for some sun!! Maybe next time.
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Loweswater Fells

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:07 pm

I'm sorry you lost your camera but loved your report and the photos you did manage to take. Unfortunately, as we all know, the weather doesn't always play ball but, at least you got a few more Wainwrights ticked off :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Absolute sickener losing the camera, takes the edge off what was clearly a great day, hopefully a fellow WH'er will find it and give you a shout. Great report and you did get some lovely shots in the middle there :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Derek T » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Dave,

I went up Mellbreak by your descent route today - it's a lung-burster but what a fantastic climb it is. Unfortunately I caught it in the rain and some hail and the path very quickly turned into a riverbed so I was soaked to the skin by the time I pulled myself onto the north summit.

I'm planning to tick the other four off tomorrow but Mellbreak by that route will definitely be the highlight of my weekend. I would love to do it again on a clear day as the views from there are stunning.

Derek
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby garyhortop » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:04 am

Dave, Sorry to hear about the camera, although I think you captured why we walk.....you can start in the clag and then (if you are lucky) you either get glimpses of what you are missing ....or the surprise of the vista appearing out fo the cloud! Really enjoyed the report! :thumbup:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby DaveB1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks for all your comments. I think Mellbreak warrants a visit in the sun, as for the rest of them, I'll save them for the second time around! Still haven't told the wife I've lost the camera :lol: Think I'll just hope she doesn't notice and become very proficient with my phone!!
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland