walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Innerdownie Hill and Tarmangie Hill

Innerdownie Hill and Tarmangie Hill

Postby John Gordon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:37 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Innerdownie, Tarmangie Hill

Date walked: 18/03/2012

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday morning was beautiful and the urge to get out there was very tempting indeed and I couldn't wait.
Starting off at the Glen Sherup car park at around 11am I walked gingerly (I have a hip problem) up the forest road towards the dam. The fly fishermen were out in abundance on the dam as the season has just opened. Walking up through the forest was very interesting as there was many unsuspecting deer feeding in the open areas where trees had been cleared out. There was also many Buzzards circling above and calling to their mates. While in the sunshine it was like a Summer's day but when clearing the forest it became quite chilly. I stopped at the Deer gate after clearing the forest for a banana and a drink and surveyed the route ahead. My hip was now easing off and I began the climb to the summit of Innerdownie Hill taking it very easy. I usually give myself a target ahead of roughly 50 steps then stop for a breather. Being 66 years of age is a bit of a handicap but I love hill walking so I will not give up. My lovely wife Margaret passed away 7 years ago who was a keen walker until she contracted Rheumatoid Arthritis in 2004. It was a great blow to her but she loved the outdoors as we also did a lot of cycling.
Pushing on towards the first summit and arriving at roughly 12.30pm the heat from the sun was now causing me to sweat but when I arrived at the summit it was very chilly indeed. Taking a few photos I then pushed on down to Bentie Knowe at 578 meters over swampy paths and made my way through the next Deer gate and walked up the side of the old wall. The path here was quite dry as it is on a slope and drained quite well so it made the going easier.
After crossing the fence at the junction of the two walls I then made my way along towards Tarmangie Hill. The rise to the summit was a little breath taking for me but again I took it easy and eventually arrived to an amazing gust of wind.
After taking a few more photos I then sought out a comfy place for lunch and stayed there for 45 minutes taking in the beautiful view and satisfying my hunger!!!
On leaving the summit it became very chilly with the wind coming in nasty bursts but eventually it subsided as I dropped down to the west end of Glen Sherup.
The walk back the track was very pleasant as I was sheltered from the wind because of the Scald hill on my left.
I also met Tom Hunter who is an old friend who does a lot of bird watching in this area and we had a very interesting talk on the birds of prey in the glens. I then made my way down past the fishery and then back down to the car park.
It was a great walk and I really enjoyed the day.
Attachments
DSC03516.JPG
Looking down towards the Upper Frandy Resevoir from Innerdownie Hill
DSC03519.JPG
Looking back towards the Glen Sherup fishery from the summit.
DSC03518.JPG
Tarmangie Hill Summit
John Gordon
Mountaineer

Re: Innerdownie Hill and Tarmangie Hill

Postby Graeme D » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:43 pm

John Gordon wrote:Being 66 years of age is a bit of a handicap but I love hill walking so I will not give up.

I hope I am able to say the same when I get to that age John! A fantastic philosophy. Sorry to hear you lost your wife a few years back. You clearly shared a love of the hills and it is great that you are still out there. Nice to see pics of these two again just a few days after I was on them, albeit a slightly different route. Cheers!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby alfie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:44 pm

well done john!GREAT hills eh!am really lucky cos i often deliver the mail to glendevon and muckhart!its the best postie route in the world!! :D
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby John Gordon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:47 pm

RTC wrote:Lovely photos. Thanks.

Hi RTC,

It was great day weather wise and I am only a digital photographer so this is all new to me but it is great to get replies from fellow members.

Take care,

Kind regards,John
John Gordon
Mountaineer

Postby John Gordon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:48 pm

alfie wrote:well done john!GREAT hills eh!am really lucky cos i often deliver the mail to glendevon and muckhart!its the best postie route in the world!! :D

Hi Alfie,

It was great day weather wise and I am only a digital photographer so this is all new to me but it is great to get replies from fellow members.

Take care,

Kind regards,John
John Gordon
Mountaineer

Postby John Gordon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:50 pm

Graeme D wrote:
John Gordon wrote:Being 66 years of age is a bit of a handicap but I love hill walking so I will not give up.

I hope I am able to say the same when I get to that age John! A fantastic philosophy. Sorry to hear you lost your wife a few years back. You clearly shared a love of the hills and it is great that you are still out there. Nice to see pics of these two again just a few days after I was on them, albeit a slightly different route. Cheers!

Hi Graeme,
Take care, Kind regards, John
John Gordon
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland