walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Epic Day Out In The Cairngorms

An Epic Day Out In The Cairngorms

Postby Del246 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 22/03/2012

Time taken: 9.25 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1200m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Its not often that your allotted annual leave period turns out to be the same as your hillwalking buddies (fellow member Meatball) but that is how the last week has been. So on Monday we were in Drumochter for the double of A'Bhuidheanach Beag and Carn na Caim, Tuesday was Aviemore for Cairngorm and Ben Macdui (in howling gales) and todays plan was Carn A' Mhaim ( or so I thought ) from Linn of Dee.

We left Glasgow before 6am and made the long drive up to Lynn of Dee. We were suited and booted and set off from the car park around 0845. We followed the path through the forrest and soon came to our first river crossing. For once the weather forecast was spot on and the hills ahead looked stunning.

DSC02210.JPG
Along walk in to the hills !

We followed the well constructed track along towards Derry Lodge and we soon got our first view of Carn a' Mhaim.

DSC02212.JPG
Carn a' Mhaim

As we continued our walk in we were intertained by 3 RAF jets having some fun and low level flying ! As we got closer to Carn a' Mhaim we could see our route up and plan of attack.

DSC02216.JPG
The route up Carn a' Mhaim

Near the foot of Carn a' Mhaim you pass through another small forrest section and then you have a choice. Walk 400 metres round a loop or hop over the river. Guess what we did !

DSC02218.JPG
River crossing

So far ( 2 hours ) had all been walking on the flat, now it was straight up to the summit of Carn a' Mhaim. I did have a wee breather on route and the picture below gives you an idea of the length of the walk in -

DSC02221.JPG
A look back towards the starting point

Almost on the summit I looked to my left and got my first ever view of the Devils Point. One word - awesome !!

DSC02222.JPG
First view of the Devils Point

After 3 hours we were on the summit of Carn a' Mhaim and the views were outstanding.

DSC02228.JPG
Me on the summit with The Devils Point and Cairn Toul in the bacground

Now, as I ate my lunch thinking of the walk back to the car, Meatball turns round to me and says "I have a plan ". Let me tell you, I dont normally like his plans as they usually involve me being out my comfort zone. He then announces that he thinks as the weather is so good we should continue on to Ben Macdui. I nearly choke on my lunch and say we were there only 2 days ago ! Before the discussion goes any further we were joined on the summit by a solo walker. Meatball tells him his plan and it goes to vote. I loose 2-1 and its off to Ben Macdui !! Thanks Meatball and John !!

DSC02231.JPG
Ben Macdui from the summit of Carn a' Mhaim

From the picture above Ben Macdui doesnt look to far away but what you dont see is that you follow a narrow ridge away down and loose alot of height. So off I set in a cream puff !!

DSC02234.JPG
Setting off down the ridge towards Ben Macdui

However I really enjoyed the ridge walk and got an amazing veiw of the Devils Point. I think its one of the best pictures I have taken.

DSC02235.JPG
Devils Point from the ridge down on Carn a' Mhaim

There is a good path down the ridge and to start with a good path up towards Ben Macdui

DSC02239.JPG
Ridge down Carn a' Mhaim

The path up Ben Macdui stops at a bolder field that seemed to go on for ever. No wonder we stopped for 5 !!

DSC02240.JPG
A breather in the bolder field

As you looked back to Carn a' Mhaim from here you get a totally different view of this Munro and it gives you a better idea of the ridge walk down.

DSC02241.JPG
Carn a' Mhaim from the boulder field on Macdui

So after around 5.5 hours we reached the summit of Ben Macdui

photo[2].JPG
On the summit of Ben Macdui

The girl who took our picture remarked how we were in team colours !!

DSC02247.JPG
Cairn Toul from the summit of Macdui

It was now a very long walk back to Linn of Dee. As we left Macdui we picked up an escape path that ran down the side of Carn a' Mhaim.

DSC02250.JPG
The path back goes down the left of Carn a' Mhaim

A look back at the route we came down

DSC02251.JPG
Route back

DSC02255.JPG
Route back

As we got back onto level ground and made our way back to the car we caught the sun going down on Carn a' Mhaim

DSC02256.JPG
Sunset on Carn a' Mhaim

After over 9 hours we were back at our car, what an epic day. Thanks Meatball for persuading/forcing me onto Macdui, Im now glad we did this route.

So in 4 days we have completed 6 Munros, walked 65 km and had 3000m of ascent. Had gale force winds, little visibility and sun burn !!

ps

What a difference 2 days make on the summit of Macdui as I could not stand for the wind !!

DSC02180.JPG
2 days earlier on Ben Macdui !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: An Epic Day Out In The Cairngorms

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Cracking report Del, glad you got such a great day after the weathers earlier contributions :shock: that river crossing early on looked a bit of a .....stretch :lol: some great photos throughout and a pretty impressive tally for the week, time to get back to work for a rest I reckon :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Del246 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks Chris. Your right, back to work next week for a rest !! :lol:
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Steve B » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Well done on meatball getting the maximum out of the day. No good being in the mountains with that weather and looking at them from the car!
Cracking report and a good week by the sound of it.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Yeehaa go you and Campbell doing big boys' walks!!! :lol: :lol:

Your photographs are fantastic Derek, really really loved the ones of the Devil's whatsit!! very impressive!! :shock:

Cracking report :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby Del246 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:10 pm

Steve B wrote:Well done on meatball getting the maximum out of the day. No good being in the mountains with that weather and looking at them from the car!
Cracking report and a good week by the sound of it.

Your right, no point looking from the car :lol: Thanks for the comments
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Del246 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:12 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Yeehaa go you and Campbell doing big boys' walks!!! :lol: :lol:

Your photographs are fantastic Derek, really really loved the ones of the Devil's whatsit!! very impressive!! :shock:

Cracking report :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:

Cheers Polly, love the banter :lol: Wait to you see my pics when I get my new camera next week ;-)
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Del246 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:20 pm

Forgot these pics, Doh !!!

DSC02249.JPG

photo[1].JPG
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Gable Gable End » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:22 pm

wow.

bright. blue. just wow.

Those Westies who slag the Gorms off look silly when there are photos and conditions like those!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby PeteR » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:50 pm

That's a fantastic report and fantastic pictures too 8) :D Here's hoping for more days like that for us all on the hills (the sunny and not windy ones :D)

Some amazing views toward the Devil's Point and Macdui :D The blue sky just makes the view all the more impressive 8) Not a bad few days in the hills :thumbup:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Meatball » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:00 pm

Great report Del!

Yesterday was a Carslberg day, cracking weather, cracking scenery and as for the company....well at least the weather was nice!

We did Cairngorm (via Northern Corries) the Macdui on Tuesday but the visibilty was poor, it was cold and the gale force winds topped it off!
So when I knew I was on an adjoining hill, the forecast was superb, it made sense to burn off a few more calories and see what Macdui is really like! Well, it did to me!

Sadly my Jedi mind tricks failed when trying to get him to go down the "real" escape route via Derry Cairngorm. Hey ho, I have a plan B for that one!

All joking aside, Del has been struggling with the lurgy and it was clearly affecting him yesterday but he ploughed on regardless! Del also doesn't like heights but that was the most comfortable that I have seen him. So genuinely my hat is off to him, it was a great effort!
I also owe Del's Mrs a sorry....it was my fault we were late home....my bad...sorry!

Anyhoo, what's next?
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby mrssanta » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Meatball wrote:Sadly my Jedi mind tricks failed when trying to get him to go down the "real" escape route via Derry Cairngorm. Hey ho, I have a plan B for that one!

Hee hee that would have been a cracking day!!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Meatball » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:14 pm

I think he would have to have been drugged (Mr T style - I ain't getting on no plane fool!) then dragged halfway there...then get my own running shoes on to escape his wrath!
Not that I thought about that, but I noted that he also had the car keys!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Del246 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Re Gable End, I agree with you. I hadnt been up in the Cairngorms until recently and it's really growing on me. I love this area now.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Cracking photos, thats the kind of weather you want when you're in the Cairngorms :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland