walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A hazy, but not lazy day in Ennerdale.

A hazy, but not lazy day in Ennerdale.

Postby mamoset » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:04 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Caw Fell, Crag Fell, Grike, Haycock, Lank Rigg, Scoat Fell, Steeple

Hewitts included on this walk: Haycock, Scoat Fell

Date walked: 23/03/2012

Time taken: 10

Distance: 31 km

Ascent: 1330m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Apologies for the photo quality. I totally blame the weather!! :shock:
Headed off to Ennerdale to take in 3 Fells we had yet to visit. As the weather predicted showery morning, clearing afternoon, we chose the long walk in along Ennerdale Water, before making a direct ascent of Steeple. The rain didn't show, but unfortunately, there was a really thick haze, which lasted most of the day :(
Ennerdale 008.JPG
Across Ennerdale Water to Steeple and Haycock.
An easy amble along the shore of Ennerdale Water, before we crossed the River Liza and followed Roundell Beck before taking the left fork of Deep Gill to the end of the plantation and taking the rough route up to Lingmell.
Ennerdale 023.JPG
Crag Fell & Ennerdale from ascent of Lingmell.
Ennerdale 030.JPG
Great Borne & Starling Dodd.
Followed the track across Low Beck before heading up Long Crag and on to Steeple.
Ennerdale 041.JPG
Long Crag route up Steeple.
To be honest, this route is very easy and I was a little disappointed, it looks a bit hairy looking back down from the summit :? If it wasn't for the haze, the views would be great from this route, but it was very warm, so I guess that was something!! :D
Ennerdale 039.JPG
Pillar & Black Crag.
Ennerdale 048.JPG
Black Crag & Steeple.
Once over Steeple, we went on to Scoat Fell for lunch. After lunch, it was a fairly tiresome meander across the fells, starting with Haycock.
Ennerdale 072.JPG
Haycock & Little Gowder Crag.
Headed over Caw Fell and across Ennerdale Fell, with Lank Rigg our next stop.
Ennerdale 102.JPG
Lank Rigg summit.
We decided to go back across Whoap to get to Crag Fell, as this seemed to be the more boot-friendly route :) At least from this summit, the haze had cleared a little.
Ennerdale 109.JPG
Crag Fell from Whoap.
Ennerdale 117.JPG
Great Borne & Bowness Knott from Crag Fell.
Ennerdale 118.JPG
Up Ennerdale to High Stile ridge.
A touch of refreshment later and we heading for our final top of the day, Grike. An easy descent over Heckbarley and down the side of Goat Gill saw us quickly back to the car.
Ennerdale 127.JPG
Goat Gill.
For the most part, this walk reflected the weather, in that there was little to see. However, it also leave us with only 3 Wainwrights to do, so it wasn't a total waste :D
Last edited by mamoset on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: A hazy, but not lazy day in Ennerdale.

Postby ChrisW » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:12 pm

This looks a fine wander Mamoset, shame the weather killed the enjoyment of it though it doesn't look bad at all on the photos....kind of adds atmosphere :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: A hazy, but not lazy day in Ennerdale.

Postby garyhortop » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:46 pm

Nice report and Pic Mamoset...I agree with Chris I don't think the haze has ruined the pics at all!! I've not walked this part of the fells before so might plan a trip on this route later in the year as it looks a really nice wander! :thumbup:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland