walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Alligin, Torridon

Beinn Alligin, Torridon

Postby maddjock » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:02 am

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 04/10/2008

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

hmm.. I seem to be in the minority on the voting here.. I only ranked it as excellent rather than a classic... and if it wasnt for going over the horns, I think I would've voted it lower.
Anyway, these are two quite easy munros, and although very steep in places, there is a very good path, especially heading up into the corrie of Tom Na Gruagaich. I followed the route from this site and from one of my Munro books, yet passed 3 groups doing this route anti-clockwise. Not one of them came over the Horns, saying they didnt think they would be able to manage it, so I was getting a little apprehensive as I approached the first horn... Nothing to worry about as it turns out...just some very straight-forward scrambling throughout and a very very steep descent down the other side. I actually found this harder going than the horns!! Weather was amazing, just some light cloud on Tom na Gruagaich, so didnt get my first view of the horns until Sgurr Mhor, but what a view!!!

view from Sgurr Mhor over the Horns and the corbett of Beinn Dearg

from the Coire Mhic Nobuil path - the horns in the background

Beinn Alligin -Tom na Gruagaich, Sgurr Mhor (and cleft) and the Horns of Alligin
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Re: Beinn Alligin, Torridon

Postby canisp » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:53 pm

Great shot over the horns looking to Beinn Dearg.

I voted Beinn Alligin a classic, for me it ticks all the boxes, fantastic to look at, superb views from, great scrambling and good terrain underfoot generally.

I’ve been over Beinn Alligin twice both times anti-clockwise, just seemed natural to do the horns first, and both times came down the ridge bounding the west and south side of Coir nan Laoigh, think i prefer ridges to corries.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby bio-man » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Never ventured there MJ but your first photo is stunning, sums up a Scottish mountain!!
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Postby maddjock » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:56 am

thanks guys... I've converted this photo to black and white and think its one of my favourites, looks a lot moodier and has been my desktop wallpaper for a bit now. I did think about going up the ridge on Tom na Gruagaich, but stuck to the path up the corrie. Maybe next time. Definately a hill I would climb again..
maddjock
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland