walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairn-mon-earn

Cairn-mon-earn

Postby RicKamila » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:27 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairn-mon-earn

Date walked: 25/03/2012

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 296m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a couple of days of fog, the sun shone beautifully over Aberdeenshire, so we decided to head back to Cairn-mon-earn to stretch the legs in preperation for this summer's walking and also to test out the new Lumix camera we bought. We arrived around 3:30pm and set off shortly afterwards.

P1000016.JPG

The sun was beating down as we headed along the 4x4 track and made our way through the pines. We eventually reached a fork and headed into the pinetrees and started climbing.

P1000018.JPG

After a while we turned off onto another track and headed for the summit.

P1000019.JPG

The bench at the summit that overlooks Clachnaben was taken when we got there, so we settled down for a drink at the trig point and did a bit of sunbathing whilst enjoying the views. It was still a bit hazy, but we still had fun in the warmth.

P1000027.JPG

P1000031.JPG

We stopped at the pinetrees to test the new camera out. The macro feature is superb.

P1000034.JPG

P1000037.JPG

Heading back down the way we came, we eventually got to the "Newt Pond" as we like to call it near the car park. We spent about 15 minutes on our hands and knees watching tadpoles, newts and frogs swimming around. Eventually we decided to head home after half a dozen frogs gathered just under the waterline near the bank, ready to mount an attack on us :lol: Photos can be seen in the Wildlife section.

A fantastic walk and totally fallen in love with the new camera!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Re: Cairn-mon-earn

Postby ChrisW » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Great stuff RK, wonderful memories for me - thanks for this....I like my newt over in the wildlife section too....I'll name him tiny....because he's minute :lol: :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby RicKamila » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:54 pm

ChrisW wrote:I like my newt over in the wildlife section too....I'll name him tiny....because he's minute :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

BRILLIANT
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby blueyed » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:36 pm

i hope to see some stunning pics now as you will enjoy your new camera :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby RicKamila » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:20 am

blueyed wrote:i hope to see some stunning pics now as you will enjoy your new camera :)

Im hoping for stunning photos aswell. Can't wait to head back into the hills shortly with it!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland