walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a' Chocuill and Beinn Eunaich

Beinn a' Chocuill and Beinn Eunaich

Postby Jock McJock » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:15 am

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 26/03/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1221m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

:D After being out last week with Jonny and Andy on Beinn Fhionndlaidh and not getting the best of weather I was determined to get back out this weekend as the forecast was brilliant, even though I was going to be night shift at work. Got up early at 0630 (actually 0530, bloody clocks changing!! :lol: ) got my gear together and out the door. After a quick pit stop for petrol I was on my way up a very foggy Loch Lomond side. By the time I hit Tyndrum the sun was already getting up and burning off the fog.

Arrived at the car park down the wee road to Stronmilchan about 0815 and was the first car there. Sorted myself out and got moving off along the road, through the gate on the left etc as per the WH report. The weather by now was looking like the forecast and it wasn't long before I stopped and got the fleece off and carried on in short sleeves.
DSC04746.JPG
The farm track and the two tagets for the day straight ahead

You soon come to the first obstacle of the day, the big heelan coos that are ever present on the track that you need to take. Thanks to some advice from Polly though I knew how to overcome this. Take the gate on the left in the pic below and follow it along the fence line, there is a well worn path, funny that :lol:
DSC04750.JPG
Take the gate on the left

Here you will meet the locals, seemed docile enough but they had calves with them so wasn't taking any chances :shock:
DSC04761.JPG
Big Coo

Once past the big scary coos it's a very pleasant walk along the track that will take you all the way up to the 400m mark
DSC04766.JPG

It then drops down slightly before climbing again. Once you reach the junction take the path on the right and follow it up until you reach the wee cairn on the left shown below
DSC04780.JPG

The views really open up at this point and the going gets a wee bit steep as you now make the pull up the spine towards the ridge above. The wind really sarted to get up at this point too.
DSC04785.JPG

Before long you are making the final approach to the ridge
DSC04792.JPG

Once on the ridge you can clearly see your first target of the day, Beinn a' Chocuill dead ahead
DSC04810.JPG

The summit is reached not long after. It had taken me just over the 3 hour mark to get to the top so not too bad. Well worth the effort though as the views all around are superb, the best of which is the Cruachan ridge just opposite
DSC04801.JPG
Beinn a' Chocuill summit

DSC04807.JPG
Ben Cruachan

The walk along the ridge is lovely and was only slightly spoiled by the fierce wind which was blowing meaning I couldn't hang around too long cause it was flippin freezin! :lol: Once you head back along the ridge you get a great view of your second target of the day, Beinn Eunaich
DSC04812.JPG
Beinn Eunaich

2012-03-25 11.11.12.jpg
Ridge to Beinn Eunaich

The path drops down to the spot height at 728m before starting the climb up the ridge to Ben Eunaich.
2012-03-25 11.44.16.jpg

The going gets steeper the higher you go but just do what I did and take plenty of pic breaks as the views are great.
2012-03-25 12.09.37.jpg

You get a really nice view back along th ridge to Beinn a' Chocuill too
DSC04815.JPG

An hour after the first summit I was on the second and in the wind again but the views back across to Beinn a' Chocuill made up for it :D
DSC04820.JPG

Still some snow cornices here on the north side hanging on for dear life, even though some folk have chosen to chuck the cairn stones at them to try and dislodge them, tut tut :?
DSC04824.JPG

Again stunning views all around, in particular Ben Lui making its presence felt through the haze
2012-03-25 12.36.49.jpg
Ben Lui

Dropped down out of the wind and sat for the best part of an hour having some lunch and just enjoying being out in the hills on such a fine day. I could have sat there for hours but the drive home and the night shift beckoned so reluctantly I set off down the broad ridge that would take me back, all the while soaking up the scenery
2012-03-25 13.07.04.jpg

2012-03-25 13.27.27.jpg

Wasn't long before I was at the last 250m drop off the ridge back to the track. Once again some sound advice had been given by Polly about the steepness of this part of the walk. Her advice was to just take my time as the path is very steep and very badly eroded with lots of loose stones etc. She was right, it was :shock: Not the best part of the day I have to say but luckily it was dry all the way down which made a huge difference. Really wouldn't fancy coming off there in the wet.
DSC04832.JPG
Last 250m to the track below

After a very careful descent I was back on the track where a big cairn marks the path. Funny, I completely missed this on the way up even though I was looking for the descent path as I walked in :lol:
DSC04834.JPG

From there it was about a 30 minute walk back to the car, once again passing the locals. Got back to the car just under 6 hours after leaving it.
DSC04837.JPG
Locals again

These two hills are in my opinion vastly underrated. You never really hear a lot of people talking about them and I can't think why. Take my advice, if you're looking for two relatively easy hills with great views and a nice wee ridge walk then these are the two for you. Just pick a good day and enjoy. Just watch out for the big coos on the way in and out :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn a' Chocuill and Beinn Eunaich

Postby andy millar1 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:03 am

Best weekend of the year so far....you jammy git.defy get these soon when Jonny isnt preparing the menu of oor mid week sneaky peaks!!see you soon
:thumbup: :wave:
andy millar1

Postby jonny616 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:34 am

Nice one Mark. The haze of heat in the photos makes a pleasant change from clag :lol: A great walk that, sadly when i did it is was clagged in somewhat :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby blueyed » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:25 pm

looks like a great day and exactly the same as mine -hazyyyyy.
i walked ben more & stob binnein yesterday and was hoping to see sth but the whole day i was admiring were just silhouettes of mountains around.
at least the sunshine was great !!!! :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:27 pm

Fantastic report Mark. :clap:

Your photographs are so much better than mine. Great to see the views that were a wee bit blurred in my pathetic attempts :lol: :lol:

You are right about this being a really enjoyable walk- I thought it was smashing :thumbup:

PS You wait your whole life for someone to take a piece of your advice and then it is taken not once but twice!!! Can't see that happening again anytime soon!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby Jock McJock » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:51 pm

andy millar1 wrote:Best weekend of the year so far....you jammy git.defy get these soon when Jonny isnt preparing the menu of oor mid week sneaky peaks!!see you soon
:thumbup: :wave:

Cheers Andy, it was a great day :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Postby Jock McJock » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:52 pm

jonny616 wrote:Nice one Mark. The haze of heat in the photos makes a pleasant change from clag :lol: A great walk that, sadly when i did it is was clagged in somewhat :lol:

I'm seeing a pattern emerging with you Jonny.....clag, clag and more clag. Think you're a jinx :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Postby Jock McJock » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:55 pm

blueyed wrote:looks like a great day and exactly the same as mine -hazyyyyy.
i walked ben more & stob binnein yesterday and was hoping to see sth but the whole day i was admiring were just silhouettes of mountains around.
at least the sunshine was great !!!! :)

Know what you mean Blueyed, lots of distant slihouetes. the haze made it impossible to see any great distance. But hey, I'll take that over the clag of the last few weeks anyday :D Ben More is a big bugger, did you go right up the front? nearly killed me when i done that :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Postby Jock McJock » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:58 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Fantastic report Mark. :clap:

Your photographs are so much better than mine. Great to see the views that were a wee bit blurred in my pathetic attempts :lol: :lol:

You are right about this being a really enjoyable walk- I thought it was smashing :thumbup:

PS You wait your whole life for someone to take a piece of your advice and then it is taken not once but twice!!! Can't see that happening again anytime soon!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Polly, I had a great day. And your advice was spot on, thanks :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Postby quoman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Hi Jock McJock.

Excellent report and photo's to match. we done this on the 27 07 11,and we sat at the top with our tops off not a pretty sight :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Meatball » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:48 pm

Nice views....
Just clag when I was there.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:52 pm

nice 8) . Cruachan looks braw from these two :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby yokehead » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:20 pm

Great report and photos, I was up there a couple of weeks ago on the first day of my 2 weeks, when it was in more normal conditions and looked like this
1.jpg

You may just be able to spot the coos in the same place, I reckon they're there to ward off filthy munro baggers!

Didn't bother with a report since views there were none and rain most of the day, still, a chance to try out the new waterproofs! But I agree with you, these hills make a fine outing. Yeah the last bit of descent is a bit of a pig (and I did notice the cairn on the way up but I recently went to Specsavers!). I didn't notice the coo bypass path though and another good reason to use it would be to avoid getting back to the car with masses of coo s**t stuck to the boots!

Good to see some snow still hanging on, I played around in it a bit. But why didn't you try chucking bigger stones on the cornice? :lol:
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby tamw51 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Was gonna hit these two up today day but didnt have it in me, so settled for just cruachan and stob diamh! looks braw so happy to return! :D :D
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Jock McJock » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:08 pm

quoman wrote:Hi Jock McJock.

Excellent report and photo's to match. we done this on the 27 07 11,and we sat at the top with our tops off not a pretty sight :lol: :lol:

Cheers Quoman, was tempted myself but the wind factor kept the t shirt on all day :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland