walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pasture Beck Skyline

Pasture Beck Skyline

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:05 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Caudale Moor, Gray Crag, Hartsop Dodd, Thornthwaite Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: Stony Cove Pike (Caudale Moor), Thornthwaite Crag

Date walked: 24/03/2012

Time taken: 6

Distance: 11.73 km

Ascent: 845m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the weather being to good to miss it was over to the Lakes once again to add to our tally of Wainwrights. I decided that we'd have a go at a round I've looked at for a while, the Pasture Beck Skyline from Hartsop.
We arrived at the rapidly filling car park on a beautiful but hazy morning, a stark contrast to the thick fog we left back on the East coast.

IMG_8713.JPG
Hartsop Dodd

TR_120324-095324.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We set out in a clockwise direction with Hartsop Dodd the first target. The path follows the wall initially but once beyond it winds it's way nicely (and steeply) up the North ridge with increasingly fine views that could have been even better with less haze.

IMG_8727.JPG
Dovedale

IMG_8728.JPG
Aerial view of Hartsop

IMG_8729.JPG
On the ridge with Brothers water below

IMG_8731.JPG
Helvellyn and Catstycam behind St Sunday Crag

Visibility was still good enough however to see the last few patches of snow stubbornly clinging to Helvellyn and in all honesty the haze does add a different atmosphere to the fells. It was hot work in the unseasonably warm conditions but eventually the ground levelled off and we bagged the first of the day marked unceremoniously with an old weathered fence post we named the summit stick. A far grander summit adornment was clearly visible across Threshthwaite in the shape of the Thornthwaite Beacon but before that we had another top to bag.

IMG_8737.JPG
Grace at the summit stick of Hartsop Dodd

The walk from Hartsop Dodd to Stony Cove Pike will never make it into anybodys favourites but at least it's easy enough and pleasant on such a lovely day.

IMG_8743.JPG
Mine workings

Following an easy stroll with the almost constant accompaniment of Skylarks we arrived at the summit of Stony Cove Pike. It's difficult to know just what this top has to justify the tag of "pike" but it proved a pleasant enough place to have lunch before tackling Thresthwaite Mouth.

IMG_8752.JPG
Looking across Threshthwaite Mouth

The path down is rough but entertaining with a little bit of downward scrambling which was just the thing following the dullness previously on Cauldale Moor. The views opened up also with the Ill Bell ridge looking as impressive as ever.

IMG_8744.JPG
Ill Bell ridge

IMG_8755.JPG
Troutbeck Tongue

IMG_8772.JPG
Looking back across Thresh'et

IMG_8773.JPG
Looking down Pasture Bottom

Fortunately the scree path up Thornthwaite Crag turned out to be nowhere as steep as it looked from the other side and we were soon enjoying a cup of coffee under the imposing summit cairn.

IMG_8778.JPG
Grace at Thornthwaite Beacon

The ridge from here to Grey crag turned out to be way better than the approach to Stony Cove Pike with it being sufficiently narrow and steep sided to offer fine views down to Hayeswater to the East and the unfortunately named Pasture Bottom to the West.

IMG_8790.JPG
Grey Crag with The Knott across Hayeswater

IMG_8805.JPG
Hayeswater

IMG_8810.JPG
Grey Crag's crags above Pasture Beck

IMG_8803.JPG
Grace and Hughie on Grey Crag summit

IMG_8814.JPG
Hazy fells

Once we were confident that this ridge was sheep-less Hughie had been enjoying his freedom. Unfortunately Hughie loves all things about sheep, and guess what he managed to find on the way down. :evil: After a thorough scalding to which the reply looked to be "I don't care it was worth it" he found out that it wasn't with a good wash for the usually hydrophobic hound in the Hayeswater Gill. :lol:

IMG_8819.JPG
Bad dog!

IMG_8826.JPG
Sad dog!

Another great day in the fells was completed by the appearance of an ice cream seller back at the car park, perfect. :D

IMG_8829.JPG
Grey Crag

IMG_8830.JPG
A last look up to Threshthwaite Mouth
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Pasture beck skyline

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:29 pm

An interesting walk, John, and again some wonderful photos. The weather has been unbelievable for March, let's hope this isn't the summer!! :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Nice round that JK, you are right about that initilal pull up Hartsop Dodd, its hard work :D worth it though,

Thanks for the report and pics, hope that ice cream van is there next time Im over there!!

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:46 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:An interesting walk, John, and again some wonderful photos. The weather has been unbelievable for March, let's hope this isn't the summer!! :lol: :lol:

Following our luck with two stunning weeks in Scotland last year I admit I'm getting worried about out week on Skye. We may not even see a hill let alone climb one :lol:

L-Hiking wrote:Nice round that JK, you are right about that initilal pull up Hartsop Dodd, its hard work :D worth it though,

Thanks for the report and pics, hope that ice cream van is there next time Im over there!!

Cheers

No problem.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Re: Pasture beck Skyline

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:18 am

Lovely stuff JK, incredible weather in a beautiful location, what more could someone want. Love the scenic photos but my favourite by far is the 'sad dog' pic where Hughie learned "rolling in the sheep" (is that a song title :lol: ) wasn't worth it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:46 am

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Following our luck with two stunning weeks in Scotland last year I admit I'm getting worried about out week on Skye. We may not even see a hill let alone climb one

When are you off to Skye? We were there the first two weeks in October last year, had a lot of wind, quite a lot of rain but, only two days when we didn't see the sun :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:34 am

ChrisW wrote:Lovely stuff JK, incredible weather in a beautiful location, what more could someone want. Love the scenic photos but my favourite by far is the 'sad dog' pic where Hughie learned "rolling in the sheep" (is that a song title :lol: ) wasn't worth it :D

At least Sheep mess isn't to smelly. He has found some truly foul piles of random poo to roll in over the years.

SusieThePensioner wrote:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:Following our luck with two stunning weeks in Scotland last year I admit I'm getting worried about out week on Skye. We may not even see a hill let alone climb one

When are you off to Skye? We were there the first two weeks in October last year, had a lot of wind, quite a lot of rain but, only two days when we didn't see the sun :D

First week in June. We try and go to Skye every year around then. Sounds like you had typical Skye weather in October. Hopefully we'll get a chance of climbing Bruach na Frithe to complete our round of the three "easy" cuillins.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Re: Pasture Beck Skyline

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:33 am

johnkaysleftleg wrote:First week in June. We try and go to Skye every year around then. Sounds like you had typical Skye weather in October. Hopefully we'll get a chance of climbing Bruach na Frithe to complete our round of the three "easy" cuillins.

Wonderful time to go! We will be in the Trossachs at the beginning of June, a late 40th wedding anniversary celebration so we're staying in a hotel by Loch Ard :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Postby garyhortop » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Great report JK - some cracking photo's and some brilliant weather!! It's also nice to know that someone else suffers with the poopy pups!! What is it with dogs and stinky stuff to roll in!! Enjoy!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby colgregg » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Great report JK. I was over that way on Sunday (high Raise, Angle Tarn - report to follow) and the weather was Similar to yours. Am assuming the Cairn terrier is yours, I saw one on my way from High Raise to Kidsty Pike and my immediate thought was "I wonder If that was Jonnykay with his dog"
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:40 pm

colgregg wrote:Great report JK. I was over that way on Sunday (high Raise, Angle Tarn - report to follow) and the weather was Similar to yours. Am assuming the Cairn terrier is yours, I saw one on my way from High Raise to Kidsty Pike and my immediate thought was "I wonder If that was Jonnykay with his dog"

He's a Westie not a cairn. He loves the hills as much as I do and there's a chance you might bump into him one day.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby colgregg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:32 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
colgregg wrote:Great report JK. I was over that way on Sunday (high Raise, Angle Tarn - report to follow) and the weather was Similar to yours. Am assuming the Cairn terrier is yours, I saw one on my way from High Raise to Kidsty Pike and my immediate thought was "I wonder If that was Jonnykay with his dog"

He's a Westie not a cairn. He loves the hills as much as I do and there's a chance you might bump into him one day.

Not great on Dog breeds but it looked like yours anyway :D
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland