walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lochay roaster

Glen Lochay roaster

Postby pigeon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Corbetts included on this walk: Cam Chreag (Auch)

Date walked: 26/03/2012

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 27.8 km

Ascent: 1355m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A surprise phone call from the boss man on Sunday "take the day off Dave",YA BEAUTY! :lol:Nothing else for it but to hit the hills :lol: :lol: :lol: Didn't fancy a long drive though so Glen Lochay would do again and was up there and on the go for 8 45,Creag Mhor was still outstanding and seeing it was such a good day i would attempt a Corbett as well(inspired by Rockhopper :thumbup: )
002.JPG
ben challum
Take the farm track past kenknock and then on up the hydro track to the dam below Sron Na Eun,this is the first steep part of the day and even this early it was heating up good style :shock:
011.JPG
first steep bit Sron Na Eun
Just a case of getting the head down and picking a way through the crags,eventually finding a path and creag mhor eventually comes into view
015.JPG
good path and first look at creag mhor
It's now good going to the top and i was really enjoying this,sunshine and no wind,very rare :DThink i got to the top in about 3 hours or so and sat here for a good half hour ,taking pics and having a bite.
030.JPG
beinn heasgarnich
035.JPG
creag mhor cairn with dubhcraig,oss and lui in the distance
037.JPG
ben more ,stob binnien and ben challum
024.JPG
ben more and stob binnien again
033.JPG
045.JPG
sun beats down on stob nan clach
Was feeling good and decided to go for the corbett Cam Chreagh,dropped down from creag mhor kind of towards ston nan clach and found a faint path down in the bealach.
047.JPG
route up cam chreag,took the faint path and then clambered up towards the far right of the picture
Again just a case of finding a way up through the crags and eventually found the wee cairn.
048.JPG
cam chreag and looking towards beinn dorain i think
From here i went down southwards towards the foot of ben challum,which is pretty steep on this side :shock:
060.JPG
challum showing it's steep side
Once here it was a long trek back following the Allt Challum till it meets the track again ,dropped down at batavamie and followed the track all the way back along the river lochay to kenknock
070.JPG
long way back down the glen
At kenknock i met the first person i had seen all day,a guy from Leeds who informed me that my face was very red :lol: Sunburnt in March,who would have thought it! :lol: Glen Lochay is probably not on many peoples list of favourite areas but that's 3 times i've been up here now and it's been 3 great days,the weather plays a big part obviously and i've managed to miss the boggiest areas out so if you get this hike on a good day it's a belter!I am now of to dip my sunburnt big beetroot heid in a bucket of ice water :lol: :lol:
072.JPG
last look back
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Glen Lochay roaster

Postby rockhopper » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Don't think I've ever had that sort of phone call before :shock: but a great day for it to happen ! jammy sod :lol: Glad to see you added on the corbett as well - it's been busy up there of late - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Huck Finn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:50 am

Belter of a day Dave, sods law for me you get a week day off when I have been night shift the night before :(
Photos are cracking :D
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby tamw51 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43 am

Looks bloody awesome, still need to get up there, had read views were fantastic, this proves the statement is correct! I feel ur sunburn isnt too painful, ive just been informed by my girlfriend that mine has died down, im now red with a tinge of brown apparently! :lol: :lol:
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby quoman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:08 pm

Ave been working all weekend and am sick of the weather you all seemed to have :lol: :lol:

quality report and picture's plus a phone call fi the boss to take the day off even better.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pigeon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:12 pm

rockhopper wrote:Don't think I've ever had that sort of phone call before :shock: but a great day for it to happen ! jammy sod :lol: Glad to see you added on the corbett as well - it's been busy up there of late - cheers :D
Cheers RH,the day off will probably be un-paid,still a good day to lose a day's wages on :lol:
Huck Finn wrote:Belter of a day Dave, sods law for me you get a week day off when I have been night shift the night before :(
Photos are cracking :D
Aye wiz a pity Huck :(
tamw51 wrote:Looks bloody awesome, still need to get up there, had read views were fantastic, this proves the statement is correct! I feel ur sunburn isnt too painful, ive just been informed by my girlfriend that mine has died down, im now red with a tinge of brown apparently! :lol: :lol:
Long may this spell continue tam,usually the face is red due to severe wind blastin' :lol:
quoman wrote:Ave been working all weekend and am sick of the weather you all seemed to have :lol: :lol:

quality report and picture's plus a phone call fi the boss to take the day off even better.
Looks like the good spell might last a few days yet quoman,hope you get out soon :D
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland