walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In Ullapool -Ben Dearg circuit of 4

In Ullapool -Ben Dearg circuit of 4

by Mountainlove » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg - the Four Munros circuit

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Meall nan Ceapraichean

Date walked: 23/03/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 1827m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: In Ullapool -Ben Dearg circuit of 4

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:35 am

Keith Sayliss wrote:Great report and great pictures.
I thought I knew the area really well, and have been to Badrallach a few times, when I walked in to Scoraig, but I didn't know about the bothy. It looks really comfortable.
I did those four Munros as a round but did them the other way round to you. It was a really good walk but very windy on the top of Cona Mheall. It had a real remote feel about it.
It was nice to read about them. I've got to wait nearly three weeks till I'm back in the area. :(

Thank you! Is the walk into Scoraig worth while? The owner of the bothy told me about it, but I didnt had time that day to venture out...but was thinking to leave it for another day! 3 weeks...lucky you...my next plannned trip to the same area is not until June :-(

kenny3760 wrote:Nice report, I was up there the day before, but only did the last 3 of your round. What a difference a day makes in the weather, I spent most of the day in only a short sleeve base layer.
Well done on the 50

Ah that explains the much bettter wearther on your pictures :-)

@ LeithySuburbs and tamw51 ...many thanks :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby KeithS » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:12 pm

The walk to Scoraig is definitely worth doing. I have been a couple of times, once by the footpath and once by boat.

I have mixed feelings about Scoraig. In the 1960s it was repopulated and set up as a form of commune and had the ethos of a self-sufficient island community. This has changed quite radically over the past few years. Many people have a boat and keep a car on the mainland on the opposite shore of Little Loch Broom, for use when they pop across to go to the supermarket. I had a plumber recently who lived in Scoraig and kept his van at the road end at Badrallach, which he reached by taking his motorbike along the footpath. Many are connected to the internet and have generators to power their computers, and other electrical items, although wind power is also used.

This is not meant as a criticism, and I am in no position to be critical of anyone's lifestyle choice. I just think it is a slight anachronism. I would be interested to hear other peoples views on this, perhaps it should have a thread of it's own.

Anyway Mountainlove, to go back to your original question: Yes, it is well worth taking the walk (but watch out for motorbikes!). Don't think that when you get to the first houses you are there, it is still quite a long way until you get to the main part of the village. It is a very interesting, and very beautiful place, and worth making the effort.

I will also be up there in June :D , but not after then until September :( !

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi Keith,

thank you for all the information. The bothy owner spoke about the jetty which was build by the council for the local people. I guess having a boat is a good option in comparison to the 5 mile walk from Badrallach. But apart from that I didnt know anything about that place. Its interesting to hear that it was build in the 60s as a community...fits the year :-) But I guess like everything things move forward...As you said I guess there are good and bad points...must be a hard living without electricity...specially in the long winter months! But now I am keen to take a wee walk up to tthe village next time I am there! :D So thank you!!!

My favorite story was about the campsite...the owner told me about a guy who used to work in a factory down in London and one day packed his bags, bought a tent and camped up in Badrallach for months (without any previous camping experience) Supposingly after being introduced to bagpipes and whiskey he did not wanted to leave anymore
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby dooterbang » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:46 am

Love the 1st photo of the sheep :)

Congrats on the half century.

Ive still to do these but will add the other outlying Munro for the 5...now i know its an easy walk.

Agree with others....what a bothy.

If only Scotland had this weather on a pemanent basis....
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:33 am

dooterbang wrote:Love the 1st photo of the sheep :)
Congrats on the half century.
Ive still to do these but will add the other outlying Munro for the 5...now i know its an easy walk.
Agree with others....what a bothy.
If only Scotland had this weather on a pemanent basis....

Thank you...the sheep were brilliant...one looked like as it if was planning to attack the car at one point :lol:
I am sure you could get the 5th one done as well :D Think it would maybe add 2h to the walk, but as you are hardcore I am sure you will manage the whole thing in 10h :shock:
Wish the weather would stay like that too!!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby andrewdoggett » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:22 am

Great photos... Good to see what these are like... Now will it be four or maybe 5... :D
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby simon-b » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:34 am

Mountainlove wrote:
dooterbang wrote:

I am sure you could get the 5th one done as well :D

I guess you mean Seana Bhraigh as the outlying one and not Am Faochagach, Dooterbang?

After climbing S. Bhraigh two days earlier and these four the same day as Mountainlove, I'd agree with her. You'd probably finish all five before sunset in early Spring. But even with a later start, the last few km back to Inverlael look like they'd be easy after dark with a torch.

And thanks for the Badrallach info, Mountainlove. I've been thinking of that as a base for An Teallach and the Fisherfields sometime in the future.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland