walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Feshie Corbetts

Feshie Corbetts

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn Dearg Mòr, Meallach Mhòr

Date walked: 26/03/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 25.7 km

Ascent: 1246m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Made a late start from Westhill - 7am and made the car park at Balnascriten by 9.30 - not before driving half way up the the Achlean road in auto pilot !
Loaded the bike up for my overnight camp at Lochan an t Sluic - walked most of the way up the glen due to the heat and my inability to make any progress up anything more than horizontal with the pedals.
Met a lovely lady from Rannoch who had just walked over the tops from Bruar, carrying a pretty big rucksack which made me feel quite inadequate with my mechanical aids ! Anyway, she was heading down the glen to catch the train back to Rannoch. (hope one of the keepers gave her a lift down the glen).
However, I continued the grind up Slochd Mor to Lochan an t Sluic to hurridly make camp & brew up.
DSCN2067.JPG
Campsite at Lochan an t Sluic

Resisting the strong urge to just lie and fester in the afternoon sun, I headed up the track to Carn Dearg Mor.As I gazed around from the top at the surrounding hills, the next hill (Meallac Mhor ) looked miles away .
DSCN2059.JPG
Cairn Toul etc from the top of C D Mor

Anyway, trogged down the track and followed it round to its terminus to the SW of Carn Dearg Beag.
DSCN2065.JPG
Track skirting C D Mor

A quad track leads from the vehicle turnaround, down to the burn and up Meall an Dubh-Chaide. The track appears to peter out about half hight, but if one tracks over to the right, a line of shooting butts can be picked up taking you to the top of the summit ridge. I struck a line to the middle of the peat hag in the bealach between M an D-C and M Mhor, as I could just make out a faint track heading for the summit of Meallach Mhor from it.
DSCN2064.JPG
L an t Seilich from Meallach Mhor

With no wind and blazing sun it was really quiet on the summit of Meallach Mhor - almost surreal. On the way back to Lochan an t Sluic, I disturbed a small herd of stags while descending M an D-C, which must've moved there after I'd ascended. I elected to follow the track back round Carn Dearg Mor, as the path shown on the map which traversed at a lower level seemed to be blocked by fallen trees initially and as I didn't have the energy to plough a new furrow throught the forests, so I elected to return the same way. I did, however in my - by this time dazed state - manage to drop my map coming down the track. So if anyone finds a sheet 42 - please don't report me to the eco-mentalists, as there were mitigating circumstances - I was knackered !
Back at camp I sorted the hastily thrown-up tent and brewed an instant meal that I'm sure was less than 3 years old, before I fell asleep. Answering the call of nature during the night ( as people of our age do), even in my dopey state, the display of stars were really spectacular, with no light polution to interfere. We don't get many days on the hill like this, so I soaked it up and drifted off, to be ready for the morrows sojurn - see " The Long and Winding Road "
Last edited by Gordon Ballantyne on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:91
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Re: Feshie Corbetts

Postby Graeme D » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Gordon Ballantyne wrote: Answering the call of nature during the night ( as people of our age do), even in my dopey state, the display of stars were really spectacular, with no light polution to interfere. We don't get many days on the hill like this, so I soaked it up and drifted off, to be ready for the morrows sojurn

There's not much can beat it - it's what it's all about! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland