walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Dessarry

Glen Dessarry

Postby eharbottle » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:43 am

Route description: Sgùrr na Cìche: 3 Munros from Loch Arkaig

Munros included on this walk: Garbh Chioch Mhòr, Sgùrr na Cìche, Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glen Dessary)

Date walked: 26/03/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 2400m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glorious weather, 23 degrees in March, no wind or cloud so thought I would make the most of it and drive to Knoydart. Easy drive to Spean Bridge then a mad last 23 miles taking about an hour as the road along Loch Arkaig is similar to a rollercoaster.

P1040793.JPG

Nice sunrise over the Loch

A couple of camper vans were there but other than that it was very quiet. Had decided to take the bike to cycle an easy 3km to the bottom of the Sgurr Mor path and this turned out to be a good idea. An excellent track it was gently up hill most of the way but this would be good for the return.

P1040810.JPG

Dropped the bike just off the track below the lodge and walked due north gaining height up towards Sgurr Mor. Stopped to put sun cream on which must be a first in March, I am sure last year we were still knee deep in snow. Easy walk up to about 350m then I looked at the terrain and decided to ignore the stalkers path that follows the river to the left and then onto the ridge and I just made a beeline for the bealach just to the left of Sgurr Mor.

P1040829.JPG

Easy gradient slope, on dry grass and I got to the beach to be greeted by really superb views. Could see the route out to Sgurr na Ciche and then all the way to The Ben and I am sure I made out Schiehallion in the distance.

P1040857.JPG

Dumped the bag and went to the summit of Sgurr Mor, looked over at Glen Sheil and all around.

P1040870.JPG

Picked up the bag one more and headed over Sgurr Beag and down the zig zags to see the stalkers path coming up, glad I went the way I did and saved the extra distance and climb.

Then it was just a steady day, taking in the views and Sgurr nan Coireachan followed by Garbh Chioch Mhor.

P1040897.JPG

Why did someone build the wall all along the ridge, surely two landowners could have just used the ridge itself as a fairly obvious and decent boundary. Ahh well the mysteries of walls and fences in the middle of nowhere.

P1040905.JPG

I had done Sgurr na Ciche before but had decided to come off by dropping down into the gap between Mhor and Ciche and thought about going up again before deciding not to add the extra time on and went left to find the Glen Dessarry track back to the bike.

Found the path, which was basically a line following bogs, and then trudged along the top of the wood waiting for Upper Glendessarry to appear, which it didn't, waited some more, still forest, and still forest, check map, eventually the forest ended and i could see the main lodge in the distance. It is a long walk out.

P1040920.JPG

Found the bike and had the joy of doing the last 3km at around 20kmph downhill with the sun behind me. Back to the car and strapped in for the roller coaster again.

Top day out, long but you always know it will be. I saved this for a good day and I am glad I did, I have done many hills in cloud and rain but this would be a waste here, especially as I did Sgurr na Ciche in rubbish weather a few years ago.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by eharbottle on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eharbottle
Munro compleatist

Munros:263   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Glen Dessary

Postby Jockstar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:17 pm

looked a stunning day and photos to match. Top report and suncream in March - you can't beat that! :D Just
had an image of you freewheeling down on the way back...magic :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Glen Dessarry

Postby tamw51 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Love this place had an fantastic couple of days in the glen in november(http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16767), mucho jealous you had a bike, as it is a long walk out! Have to agree with the rollercoaster road, i was glad i had the sreering wheel to cling onto, my passenger had a white knuckle ride! :lol:
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Glen Dessarry

Postby KeithS » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:53 pm

Oh how wonderful to read your report. I was there a couple of years ago and had one of my best days ever in the hills. I think the Rough Bounds and the Glen Dessary area give the best walking there is to be had south of Torridon. Your pictures made me quite sad, I so much want to get back :( I have still got a little bit of tidying up to do not far away so, as Arnie would say "I'll be back" :D
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland