walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Frithe, Basteir and Sgurr nan Gillean

Frithe, Basteir and Sgurr nan Gillean

by Ranger » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:54 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Gillean

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe, Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 22/03/2012

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1300m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Frithe, Basteir and Sgurr nan Gillean

Postby tamw51 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:30 pm

Absolute topper, looks like my dream day, would love to hit skye in the not too distant future!extremely jealous! :D :D Seemed to have been blessed with the weather! :D
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby brpro26 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Nice one. Great report with pics to die for...well maybe not. Heading up there in June so that's just wet my pants cheers. :oops:
What are you going to spend your WebTog vouchers on.... :wink:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Lackadaisy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Wow, looks like you had an amazing day! Those photos are stunning! :)
Lackadaisy

Munros:181   Corbetts:34
Fionas:6   

Postby yokehead » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:40 pm

An absolutely first class report, a winner for me. 8) :D Not just because what you did is right up my street (and I've got the Skye delights still to come) but because your report is so flowing, descriptive and gripping. The superb photos add the finishing touch. Very well done, and this is the kind of report that further fires up my desire to get to the hills on this type of outing.

I was on Cruachan that day and had very similar conditions with cloud and mist quickly melting away, no Brocken Spectre though! Perhaps the climbers you saw were these ? A blog I recommend.

http://glencoemountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/sunshine-climbing-and-northern-cuillin.html
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Bruno » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:59 pm

One of the best reports on W.H. for ages, Ranger. I`ve done Bruaich na Frithe on a similiar day weatherwise to yours - it was my intro to the Cuillin ridge. Absolutely magical.
I really enjoyed this and look forward to the account of the rest of your trip.
Iain
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby KeithS » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:23 pm

Absolutely brilliant! It is nearly 20 years since I climbed the Skye Munros. My favourite was Sgurr nan Gillean and your great photos, along with Am Bastair and the Tooth (which I was tricked up by my climbing companion) brought the experience back to me, although I must say that most of the time my eyes were firmly on the rock directly in front of me and my buttocks were well and truly clenched together. You must consider putting one of your pictures in for the 'photo of the month', although there are so many good ones it would be diffucult to choose which. The one of the Inn Pin through the cloud or the view south down the ridge would take some beating.
I really enjoyed your report, thanks.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Ranger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:55 pm

tamw51 wrote:Absolute topper, looks like my dream day, would love to hit skye in the not too distant future!extremely jealous! :D :D Seemed to have been blessed with the weather! :D

I wasnt so much blessed with the weather as patient - I waited months for a rock-solid high pressure system over Skye! :lol:

I was told loads of time that "in the wet this bit is absolutely treacherous" so I'd recommend to anyone to try and do them in the dry - if possible! 8)
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:08 pm

Terrific report with great pics.

I've been up Gillean twice - via the Tourist Route and Pinnacle Ridge. I've yet to attempt the West Ridge.
Good to hear that it is straight-forward enough to solo.

Well done! :)
foggieclimber

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:06 pm

Brilliant report. I don't think I'll ever have the guts to do most of that but reading such a fine report is the next best thing. I love the shot of the scramble down from Gillean's summit. Read many descriptions but a picture speaks a thousand words as they say. Thanks for posting. :clap:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby martyn » Sat May 26, 2012 10:04 pm

Excellent detailed report, Ranger. Checked the date and I think our paths briefly crossed at the summit of Bruach na Frithe as the clouds fully cleared - your photo of me on the summit is now my profile pic on FB....many thanks.
I was checking the walk reports just now because I'll be climbing Am Bhasteir and/or Sgurr nan Gillean myself tomorrow....with the capable hands of an experienced climber friend - and possibly a spot of short-roping on the 'squeaky bum' stretches - keeping me on the not-very-straight-but-oh-so-narrow. Thanks again for your detailed notes, especially your description of Gillean's west ridge - gives me confidence that I can hopefully manage it.
martyn
Munro compleatist

21 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland