walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Epic... Camping out on the Remotest Munro of them all...

An Epic... Camping out on the Remotest Munro of them all...

Postby andrewdoggett » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Route description: Fisherfield 6, from Shenavall

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean, Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Ruadh Stac Mòr, Sgùrr Bàn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Date walked: 24/03/2012

Time taken: 14.1 hours

Distance: 43.1 km

Ascent: 3140m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm excited; at Southampton airport on Friday and the forecast for Scotland is awesome for the weekend. I've been out of action for a few weeks with an injured ankle and I'm fairly itching to get a hill fix... I'm decided on the Fisherfield Six; a substantial walk described wherever you read it as an 'expedition'...

IMG_2149.JPG
The Off...

For a while now I've had plans for this walk, and I want to avoid Shenavall, my plan has always been to camp on the summit of A' Mhaighdean widely regarded as the remotest munro of them all... It looks like a plateau on top so I'm thinking a perfect campsite and the forecast is for 10-20 mph winds.. No problem...

There's a couple of things to tidy up before the off... I'm going to be doing this on my own so in preference to the Hilleberg Nallo 3 I've decided it's time to buy the one man Akto as I want to be as light as possible. A shout out to Graham in Tiso, Stirling who is off to the Warehouse to pick one up for me in red as they've only got one in green and I prefer the red, plus it reflects heat better... So whilst I'm busy flying up to Edinburgh he's busy sorting out my house for the weekend... Thank you!

Saturday morning; an alarm that pierces the night; but one where I'm excited and I set off on the 200 mile route from Bridge of Allan to Dundonnell... In not very long I'm there and ready for the off... I know this is going to be a big walk and there's a couple of spots of steepness that give me a little nervous trepidation, but of a good kind...

The walk in past An Teallach is stunning; and after everyone else peels off to climb that beauty I carry straight on toward Beinn a'Chlaidheimh and from here on I'll not see more than two souls all weekend... Perfect... iPod on, and I loose myself in thoughts, and various herds of deer whom I disturb...

IMG_2155.JPG
Looking ahead to the ascent of the first Munro, Beinn a'Chlaidheimh

You earn Beinn a'Chlaidheimh; you'll have climbed over 1200 metres by the time you stand aloft it's summit after an easy walk in, a river crossing, and then a pathless ascent over increasingly steep terrain to the summit ridge. But it's beautiful. I can feel the weight of the pack and I'm thinking this could be a hard day...

IMG_2165.JPG
Looking back at An Teallach from near the summit of Beinn a'Chlaidheimh

The views are a little hazier than I'd like but stunning nonetheless, not the type of weather to be complaining about in March that's for sure.

IMG_2185.JPG
The summit ridge of Beinn a'Chlaidheimh looking toward the heart of the Fisherfield Forest...

IMG_2193.JPG
Looking back toward An Teallach from the Summit of Beinn a'Chlaidheimh

The hoof over to Sgur Ban is a decent one at 4 km or so and the terrain is pretty much like rubble; quartz like rock and difficult to get any kind of rhythm up so progress is slower than I'd like but not to worry. In a little over an hour I'm climbing the final slopes and arriving at the flat summit plateau... I can see A' Mhaighdean off to the West and it's looking like a good camp site.

IMG_2225.JPG
Looking across to A'Mhaighdean...

IMG_2213.JPG
Looking back on Beinn a'Chlaidheimh

In all directions there's nothing... Nothing man made that is, just miles upon miles of wilderness. No paths, just pure unspoiled remoteness... It's epic :)

IMG_2207.JPG
Looking across to Beinn Dearg Mor from the summit of Sgurr Ban

A rare sign of a path indicates a steep ascent of Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair but as it turns out it's nowhere near as steep as it looks and I'm not at all uncomfortable on the ascent despite the trepidation on the approach...

IMG_2227.JPG
Looking ahead to the ascent of Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

IMG_2238.JPG
Views from the summit of Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

From there it's a long steep descent pretty much due South and I choose to bypass the lower top of Meall Garbh via a good path to the North West flank before ascending Beinn Tarsuinn... I'm at the top in a wee while though definitely feeling the weight of the pack now...

IMG_2261.JPG
Looking back from the slopes of Beinn Tarsuinn...

IMG_2274.JPG
The view from the summit of Beinn Tarsuinn

From there it's a short trip along an easy ridge before a steep but not uncomfortable descent to the boggy beallach. I take a tumble and bust one of my walking poles which irritates me a) because they're new and b) because they were taking some weight off the ankle which by now with the rough terrain I can feel a bit... Nevermind.

I'm also thirsty; there's no rivers to top up the water bottle on route and I didn't fancy the mountain lochans offerings. A quick check of the map and I can see rivers will permit some water take on in the beallach to follow. That'll sort me for dinner as there'll not be anything on the summit camp site!

The ascent up A' Mhaighdean is a slow one; my shoulders are killing now from the pack though the legs themselves are okay... Still, in not too long I'm there and it's only 18:00.. I enjoy the view for a while, before setting of to make camp slightly to the north on the plateau like lower top...

IMG_2281.JPG
The summit view from A'Mhaighdean; the remotest Munro of them all...

I find a good spot, the terrain is mossy, and in no time the Akto is pitched for the first time... Near the edge of a cliff... A check of the stats after I've pitched the tent and I see I've climbed over 2,500 metres today, so not surprising I'm feeling it a little bit with the roughness of the terrain thrown in for good measure...

IMG_2291.JPG
A cosy night ahead...

IMG_2295.JPG
The Pitch...

Time for some dinner, I'll do another shout out for the Mountain House Spaghetti Bolognaise, it's my staple diet when camping on the hills... Trust me it's good after a long day, and with a touch of Applewood Cheese to add some flavour coupled with a small bottle of wine courtesy of my welcome gift at the Marriott Hotel I'm thinking life is good as I gaze out towards An Teallach...

IMG_2299.JPG
The view out of my house to An Teallach :)

Reception is good and I exchange some messages with my lovely lady telling her I'm well and sharing some pictures of the pitch, and then things start to get noisy... As a peg blows out and one corner of the tent collapses I ask hr to check the forecast for me, and typically we're now at 45 mph winds, typical I think... I'm not bothered about the tent, these Hilleberg's are awesome things, but I am worried about the pegs, so torch on I head off to the summit to grab a handful of boulders from the summit cairn to weight them down. A good decision I think, aside from the worry of will the tent be there when I get back - fortunately it is...

Despite the noise I sleep well and the Rab Alpine 600 Goose Down Bag keeps me toasty warm all night... I have no condensation issues in the tent widely reported in the reviews, though in this wind I'd have surprised to get any in any case...

So before I know it it's morning, and I'm greeted with a pretty but hazy sunrise... I pack up pretty much straight away with the only casualty being the Hilleberg Tent Bag which gets blown off to nowhere off the cliff... I decide not to dive on after it... Irritating, but could be worse!

IMG_2314.JPG
Good Morning Scotland.... :)

The walk over to Ruadh Stac Mor is straightforward, as is the climb, only a light spot of scrambling required and nothing particularly unnerving... Is it a munro, yes no, we'll see, either way I'm now six summits in to the Fisherfield Six and to me it'll always be six... That's 100 left then, we're getting there!

IMG_2318.JPG
The summit of Ruadh Stac Mor...

IMG_2320.JPG
Looking back to A'Mhaighdean form Ruadh Stac Mor...

IMG_2322.JPG
Just Gorgeous... :)

Still it's a long walk out though, but a beautiful one that remains remote all the way back to An Teallach. There's a fabulous path that takes you back to Larachantivore before two river crossings and some very boggy terrain sees you arrive at Shenavall...

IMG_2354.JPG
Looking back towards Shenavall and Beinn Dearg Mor

From there, it's a hop skip and a jump up the hill, and back down the path to the car... I'm pleased to see it; it's been a tiring trip but I'm there for midday and back in Bridge of Allan with a cold pint at the pub for 15:00...

Overall, some of the remotest scenery Scotland has to offer, and a stunning place to spend the weekend... The summit views from A' Mhaighdean are certainly not bad, though personally I think those from Sgurr na Ciche on the edge of Knoydart are better...

However you look at it, my wilderness fix is complete... :D :D :D :D

See y'all in Kintail this weekend... I'll have the Monters in tow; seems young Megan fancies a music competition with Monty, as Mum has just found out she plays the Violin! :lol: :lol:

2012 - 03 - 24 - Fisherfield.jpg
The Stats...

2012 - 03 - 24 - Fisherfield.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: An Epic... Camping out on the Remotest Munro of them all

Postby monty » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Good effort Andrew. You with a dodgy ankle? I thought you were a man of steel :D

Good weather and amazingly no snow in march on these remote munros. Looks like perfect weather. Not to windy, not to hot and tremendous views. Brings back memories. Superb :D
monty

Postby tamw51 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Looks like an epic, nice spot for your house, howd u manage to get planning permission! :D thats what its all about out in the middle of nowhere with just stunning views for company! glad ive still got these beauties to look forward to, ullapool for a week in july could be a shout!
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby KeithS » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Good effort there. :clap:

When I did the circuit I camped at Shenevall, no wonder you had a heavy pack, carting all your stuff round. That is impressive. I had a hard day doing the round with just a day pack. You will have earned your views from the top of A'Mhaidgean. I got no views from the top. I had another try when walking from near Dundonnell to Poolewe but got washed off in a storm and had to escape in the middle of the night. I had another go a couple of years ago and had a couple of fleeting views from the top when the clouds parted for a moment or two. I am having another go in a few weeks and am determined to keep on trying until I get a day with views like yours.

Well done.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby PeteR » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:09 pm

That's not a bad view from the bedroom window you had there :D A fantastic effort and some great views of a great area by the looks of it.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Cord ruim gu dearbh :D ... i enjoyed that :D :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby mountainstar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:10 pm

Mutual respect for you camping on RSM from another Wild-camp fan, although i've never walked over so many mountains to camp 8) . Pity about the haze, we've had that this week as well, but still its been brilliant :D
See you in kintail :D
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:13 pm

andrewdoggett wrote: seems young Megan fancies a music competition with Monty, as Mum has just found out she plays the Violin!

Assuming she's not tone deaf, she'll have no problem taking on Monty :lol: ;) .

Great report Andrew - well written (i.e. not too long for me to read :lol: ) and nice pics. Looks like a grand trip :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Bod » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:58 pm

Aye that's some trip Andrew, great effort :D :D :D ...................been thinking of Fisherfield too for sometime now, but never even started a real plan.

See you soon :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:48 am

Great report...I was planning to do the 6 at some point so its great to know what lays ahead...your tent looks great- need to google that one as I was planning to get a bigger one that the one I have :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby iainwatson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:46 am

brilliant report on an epic trip! this looks a bit to big a trip for me but will look into it for the summer and your report will be really useful,

see you tomorrow! :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:47 am

I am not jealous. Repeat 100 times G then go and lie down in a dark room and it'll all be OK! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dooterbang » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 am

Fantastic way to leave just 100 Munros - double figures left very soon :)

Ive still to do these and had thought of doing them in one day but your TR has me thinking a wild camp should be the way to enjoy this remote area.

Thanks for posting - this will be used for when i get around to doing them.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:23 pm

what 's the secret to being able to manage an epic jaunt like this? ....after long days I have problems with sore feet. :( Do you use superfeet or double up on super thick socks??
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Another stunning epic Andrew, shame the haze was present but you still captured some cracking scenery, that video was a bit wild....I don't think I would have slept with that going on :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland