walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunny Assynt Munros

Sunny Assynt Munros

Postby simon-b » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:15 pm

Route description: Ben More Assynt and Conival

Munros included on this walk: Ben More Assynt, Conival

Date walked: 22/03/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1265m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Eight hours was more than enough time to complete this walk. But in the bright, warm, calm weather I was in no rush to come down from these two summits or the magnificent ridge between them.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/map1_6ua.shtml

I parked at Inchnadamph and was greeted with a nice view of Quinag.

P3221001.JPG

Another car rolled into the car park. The driver turned out to be a fellow Northern Englander, but now living in Lairg. He introduced himself as Peter and we agreed to hike together.

So we set off through Gleann Dubh alongside the River Traligill. After a while we looked back to see Stac Pollaidh appearing.

P3221007.JPG

The route steepened as we bore left alonside the Allt a Choinne Mhill, heading towards the crag-defended bealach.

P3221011.JPG

Climbing up to the bealach caused no problems, and soon we swung right, ascending Conival's north ridge. To the west, Suilven's head emerged from behind Canisp.

P3221014.JPG

Further up the ridge, Breabag was down in front to the right, and as we came to the top we looked left along the ridge leading to Ben More.

P3221026.JPG

P3221031.JPG

We sat down for a bite to eat at Conival's summit, looking towards Ben More's south ridge and Dubh-Loch Mor.

P3221043.JPG

Next we set off along the ridge to Ben More Assynt. This really is a great mountain walker's ridge, airy and bouldery, quite steep in places, but no problem for anyone who doesn't mind a little rough terrain. There was a fine view of Na Tuadhan down on the left.

P3221046.JPG

And so we arrived at the highest summit in Assynt and the third most northerly Munro.

P3221061.JPG

Again, there was a great view of Na Tuadhan, this time with Quinag behind.

P3221066.JPG

At this point Peter decided to head off along the south ridge and return between Conival and Breabag. This was my fifth of seven successive days of Munro climbing, and I had the lengthy Beinn Dearg four to come the next day. So I decided to take things steadily, and go back over Conival again at a leisurely pace. An easy decision given the fine weather and that delightful ridge. March at nearly 1000 metres in the far north-west and it was actually warm!

There is some interesting rock scenery along this ridge.

P3221069.JPG

P3221072.JPG

Back at Conival's summit in the sunshine, I was in no hurry to leave.

P3221076.JPG

But I had to descend eventually, and set off with a nice view to the south-west, and north-west to Loch Assynt and Quinag.

P3221078.JPG

P3221083.JPG

So I headed back towards Gleann Dubh with a last look back to Conival.

P3221093.JPG

And on towards Inchnadamph, with Loch Assynt in view in front.

P3221095.JPG

Then I heard footsteps behind and turned to see Peter had caught me up, despite his much more circuitous route. Well, I did say I'd taken it leisurely :lol:

To sum up, the two highest Assynt peaks may not be as unique as their celebrated lower neighbours, conforming more to normal British mountain structure. But they are superb, rugged hills with good, airy situations and excellent views. Especially with weather like this :D
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Sunny Assynt Munros

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:01 am

Agree they are super rugged hills. I didn't get quite as good a day as yourself but still a very enjoyable walk :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:25 am

Great stuff Simon and what a lovely day you had. Im not sure if I will ever get these done myself, but you have certainly placed them higher on my agenda

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby simon-b » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:49 pm

Johnny, we all know it's win some, lose some with the highland weather.

L-hiking, make sure you get to Assynt, whichever peaks you choose to do up there.

Cheers :D
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland