walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wainwrights Branstree and Selside Pike

Wainwrights Branstree and Selside Pike

Postby Julia Cater » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Branstree, Selside Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Branstree, Selside Pike

Date walked: 28/03/2012

Time taken: 4.25

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Swindale - Selside Pike - Branstree - Mosedale - Swindale. Fantastic day in the Lakes today; got sunburnt even with suntan cream on. Originally intended to go up Haweswater to some of the higher peaks in the Far Eastern range but the road to Haweswater was closed (and is until 1 April 2012) and I was on a timescale to get to school to pick the girls up. So got the map out and changed to these two peaks. Wainwright is a bit scathing about them, but there were fantastic views most of the time up the very pretty and quiet Swindale, from the tops to Haweswater and then from Branstree across. I got wet feet on the final ascent to Selside because I couldn't find the path from the Old Corpse Road up to Selside. It is not near the post as in the end I could see it quite a bit further on from the post. It was a bit boggy on the descent down from Branstree to the Mardale Head we well.

Overall, a manageable and pleasant short day despite having to run the last 2 miles back to the car which you cannot park t Swindale head. Would have been easy enough to tag on Tarn Cragg and Grey Crag as well if I had time.
Julia Cater
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:147   

Re: Wainwrights Branstree and Selside Pike

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:17 am

Run.....run the last 2 miles :shock: I'm all on to limp the last 2 miles of any hike I do :lol: Glad you had a good day in the hills....are you going to get some photos for us on the next one :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby icemandan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:50 pm

We did this on Saturday for similar reasons - High Street abandoned due to road closure. I cycled over to Burnbanks from Kendal (Fiona isn't as mental as me so she took the car). Swindale seemed like a good alternative. It's a beautiful little valley and true Lake District scenery as well. It was suffocatingly hot in the Dale and we were glad to get to the open moors. We didn't fall into the trap of taking the bee line. Had a leisurely lunch on top of Selside and headed back down.

Top tip - stop for home made ice cream at Kennedy's chocolate factory in Orton - A lemon meringue and ginger combo went down very well,
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby DaveB1 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:47 pm

Glad you had a great day, we got rain (so whats new??) I've added a photo from Selside Pike towards Branstree. As you can see we met off road motorbikes!
Sadgill - 190611 010.JPG
Motor bikes! Noisy b*****ds!!
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Jane Yates » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Looks like you had a good day out....sorry I couldn't join you! I did those when the ground was frozen but I can imagine they get boggy! :)
Jane Yates
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:107   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland