walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BEN MORE & STOB BINNEIN -feet on fire

BEN MORE & STOB BINNEIN -feet on fire

Postby blueyed » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 25/03/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

just a quick report from my last trip.
i believe there is no need to write a detailed report as the route description on WH is pretty good and doenst leave much to add.
we arrived to crianlarich at about 10.30am, the car park (side of the road) was very busy already. we followed the WH route, after passing the gate on the country track we headed straight up towards ben more.

here we started our ascent, as you can see it doesnt look too encouraging

the day started with quite a thick fog (driving M9 was horrific) but as we arrived to crianlarich it was much better and all that was left was that haze, views were only so-so, athough the two munros are know to be good viewpoints..

the so-so views

and towards cruach ardrain

to be honest i didnt expect much after reading the weather forecast... but i expected quite a lot after reading the WH route description and few reports. yes - it is a hell lot of uphillness.

steep!

the ascent isnt the more pleasurable one as most of it is just struggle- steep up via wet, boggy, soft, soaked grass. i must admit i really struggled up ben more.

we reached the ben more summit after 3 hrs climb, relieved, happy and doubting whether we really want to bag stob binnein as well. honestly i was knackered.

summit of ben more

stob binnein from ben more

cruach ardrain

towards ben lui

mighty stob binnein again

as i mentioned, the route is either steep up or steep down, therefore descent from ben more towards the bealach was quite painfull for the knees :( and the view to stob binnen was pretty much intimidating... but as i still had plenty of time and i know i would really really regret if i gave up...

ben more from half way up stob binnein

way up stob binnein was quicker than i expected, 57 mins exactly and it wasnt that steep, it actually was a wee bit of a relief after struggle up ben more.

oh, that's my corpse on the summit of stob binnein

but i got my senses back pretty soon

we didnt spend much time on the summit as the wind picked up, we decided to head down and then have lunch at the large slab at the bealach

stob coire nan lochain from stob binnein

hazy silhouettes of the mountains around, i guess the furthest is ben ledi..?

after the lunch at the bealach we headed down as advised on WH. that was a good choice. the other path looked much steeper and as we watched some guys struggling down, we knew that at this point we were the winners :) ok, maybe the WH descent route isnt the shortest but definitely is much more 'knee-friendly' and we lost the hight quite quickly and then just walked along the benmore glen on the flat, nice flat (who cares it was extra boggy) but NICE FLAT ground.

nice, flat :)

on our way back, ben more looked much more likable than in the morning, but still i was quite impressed with myself that i forced myself up that hill. no more though, sorry ben more!

more likable?

although the visibility greatly improved by the late afternoon, it still was pretty crap..

that would be it :)
for more pics have a look here: http://www.around-scotland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/ben-more-stob-binnein.html

enjoy!
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: BEN MORE & STOB BINNEIN -feet on fire

Postby mrssanta » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:42 pm

oh but those are lovely pictures.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby simon-b » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Well done, Blueyed for not giving up, I'm glad you carried on to Stob Binnein.

It would have been a shame to miss out on the most southerly mountain in Britain that's higher than Snowdon.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:09 pm

:clap: :clap: Ecky thump, well done!! Do you have any feet left after that?? Loved your photo's especially the one of you guys on the summit of Ben More... Brilliant :D

If I could "like" your report more than once, I would :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:34 pm

A great day to be up these two biggies. When i saw them from the Corbetts up the road they were just hazy silouettes like you mention in your report. Good effort and cracking photos :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:56 am

This is brilliant, made me laugh out load at that summit corpse shot,I think it was the addition of the solitary rock on your chest that capped it... I love the word uphillness too :lol: the photos came out beautifully and added to a great read :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby blueyed » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:43 pm

cheers guys,
i liked it a lot, especially when i was back in the glen :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby gymman47 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:53 am

Some lovely pics there and I hope to do these 2 in May. Thanks

JP :clap:
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland