walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Bheithir via Sgorr Bhan

Beinn a'Bheithir via Sgorr Bhan

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 27/03/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1326m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the weather this week being nothing short of awesome, I wanted to get a cracking ridge walk done. I'd downed a few bravery pills and was considering the Aonach Eagach, but their effects soon wore off as I would be going solo today, and so on I drove to Ballachulish with Beinn a'Bheithir my target. I parked at the tourist information centre and made my way along the road and through the gate just after the school following the path through the field. Started making my way up the steep pathless lower slopes with The Pap revealing itself and the Eastern top of Sgorr Bhan looking fine in the sunshine 8)
DSC_0079.JPG
Over Ballachulish to The Pap
DSC_0094.JPG
Sgorr Bhan

Eventually I reached a fence which had to be climbed and soon after that I met the path that takes you onto the ridge. The views were starting to really open up now, though very hazy, with Sgorr nam Fiannaidh revealing itself to the East, and the Ballachulish Bridge to my West
DSC_0109.JPG
Pap & Sgorr nam Fiannaidh
DSC_0111.JPG
Ballachulish Bridge

Once onto the ridge, this is a fine walk on a good path, with Bidean revealing itself through the haze across from the Aonach Eagach, and also fine views of my first Munro of the day, Sgorr Dhearg, with some snow still hanging on for dear life, and a great view below to Ballachulish & Loch Leven.
DSC_0145.JPG
Western AE & Bidean
DSC_0166.JPG
Sgorr Dhearg
DSC_0190.JPG
Towards summit of Sgorr Bhan
DSC_0208.JPG
Ballachulish & Loch Leven

The ridge now narrows towards the summit of Sgorr Bhan, and what a fine summit it is, with the beautiful curving ridge to Sgorr Dhearg in fine view. I stopped here for a while to stock up on food and water, then carefully descended the scree path before starting my ascent up this fine graceful ridge, which gave great views back to Sgorr Bhan. Once on the summit, I got my first view of the slightly intimidating looking Sgorr Dhonuill.
DSC_0213.JPG
Narrow to summit of Sgorr Bhan
DSC_0215.JPG
That beautiful ridge
DSC_0218.JPG
Back to Sgorr Bhan
DSC_0233.JPG
and again over the last of the snow cornice

DSC_0240.JPG
Muggins on Sgorr Dhearg
DSC_0246.JPG
Sgorr Dhonuill

I made my way to the Bealach at 767m and took on some more fluids before dumping the rucksack and heading up the steep slopes of Sgorr Dhonuill, grassy at first, giving way to more rockier ground. The final push to the summit looked tricky even from close quarters and stays right on the edge, but at no time did I feel in any danger, and it was good fun clambering over the boulders to the summit, where unfortunately the views were limited because of the haze.
DSC_0261.JPG
Looks worse than it is
DSC_0273.JPG
Looking down
DSC_0281.JPG
Not my bud bottle!!!
DSC_0283.JPG
Back to Sgurr Dhearg

I made my descent carefully down the boulders/rocks and eventually to the Bealach, where there is a fairly boggy descent path that leads to a good stepping stone descent through the forest, crossing over the first landrover track, then taking a right at the second one, eventually leading you to the a82, where there is a pavement leading you back to Ballachullish.

I loved this walk, it's up there as one of my best so far, and in clearer air, the views must be breathtaking 8) I now must mind and pack the suncream in future as I ended up with my first ever March sunburn :lol: Here's hoping the weather holds out for all the gang in Kintail 8)
Last edited by lomondwalkers on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Beinn a'Bheithir via Sgorr Bhan

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:07 pm

A couple of panos I attempted, Loch Leven & a Bookil sunset....
Loch Leven.jpg
Bookil.jpg
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby Bod » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Great report, love these mountains :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:35 pm

What a great day for walking, Dave! You've some fantastic views in your photos and love the look of that ridge :D

Particularly like the two panoramas :thumbup: Great report!!
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby yokehead » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:20 pm

Nicely done and great photos, these are wonderful hills with plenty to offer. :D

Worth going there in winter to see what must be one of the most beautiful cornice curves in Scotland - very sexy I thought!
bb8.jpg
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:55 am

Cracking stuff and a great day for it - certainly a nice walk and you do get great views - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby tamw51 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:45 am

Very very nice, looks like a cracking day, got thes on the cards soon, good to see! :D
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Bod wrote:Great report, love these mountains :D :D :D

Cheers Bod, a couple of crackers these 2 :D

SusieThePensioner wrote:What a great day for walking, Dave! You've some fantastic views in your photos and love the look of that ridge :D

Particularly like the two panoramas :thumbup: Great report!!

Was definitely a day to remember Susie, the ridge was stunning, even better in Yokeheads photo below 8)

yokehead wrote:Nicely done and great photos, these are wonderful hills with plenty to offer. :D

Worth going there in winter to see what must be one of the most beautiful cornice curves in Scotland - very sexy I thought

Wow!!!!!!! Sexy indeed Yokehead!!!! Stunning, thanks for posting that :D :D

rockhopper wrote:Cracking stuff and a great day for it - certainly a nice walk and you do get great views - cheers :D

One of my best days on the hills, just a pity about the haze as the views of the Mamores must be stunning too

tamw51 wrote:Very very nice, looks like a cracking day, got thes on the cards soon, good to see! :D

Keep them for a cracker of a day Tam, you wouldn't want to miss those views 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:31 pm

Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! :clap: :clap: :clap:

A fantastic report Dave :thumbup:

I loved these two as well but my photies are keech compared to yours!!!! :lol:

PS Nice shorts :wink: :wink:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:47 pm

Cheers Polly Pocket! Nice shorts, shame aboot the pipe cleaners :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:22 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Cheers Polly Pocket! Nice shorts, shame aboot the pipe cleaners :lol:

Ooooooh I used to love them at school!!! :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland