walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ and Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ and Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Postby John Burgess » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:45 pm

Route description: Glas Tulaichean & Càrn an Rìgh, Glenshee

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 04/10/2009

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 27 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A walk to start breaking some new boots in. Easy going and the chance to cut the route short if they start to feel bad!An hours drive took Dan and I past the Spittal of Glen Shee to the Dalmunzie Hotel and we were away walking by 9. I'm glad the forecast had told us that the winds of the previous day had died down - it didn't feel like it :?

We passed Glenlochsie farm and started to find traces of the old railway line from the hotel to the Lodge. I'd always been intrigued to see this performing a couple of ridiculously tight hairpin bends on the map but hadn't got round to investigating until a few months ago. A clever trick. Drive beyond some points on the low track. Change them and reverse up a short incline beyond another set of points on the higher track. Change them and off you go. Some of the old track was still there :)

Today we left the valley before even reaching that spot and started up Creag a' Chaise. The heather was very deep in places and made for some hard going but, eventually, we got to this first top and the views over Gleann Taitneach began to open out. The finest feature was Carn Bhinnein - a welcome touch of shape in these often featureless hills.

DSC_0003.JPG

The going improved and a stroll over the 717m bump brought us to the place where the ridge sort of merged with the top of Choire Bhric - or maybe it's Coire Bhreac. The OS has the Allt a Choire Bhric flowing through it but Creag Bhreac above it. Similar confusion seems to occur over Gleann Taitneach\Allt Ghlinn Thaitneich :?
Anyway, whatever its name, it's fairly typical of these hills lacking much by way of distinguishing features. The deer seemed to like it though and we did find a welcome little suntrap out of the bitter wind.

DSC_0005.JPG
Choire Bhric or Bhreac

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0008 copy.jpg
Okay, a challenge. X marks the spot, but which spot?

A short pull up onto the 827m lump and we could now see our first summit ahead - separated from us by a gently undulating ocean of heather.

DSC_0009.JPG
Glas Tualaichean

From the summit our next objective appeared - Carn an Righ.

DSC_0023.JPG
Carn an Righ from Glas Tulaichean

We 'cut the corner' of the Walkhighlands route heading North West from just before the 930m spot height, across the stream and up to the path leading to the col below Carn an Righ. From this col the view through to the Cairn Toul range was rather fine.

DSC_0027.JPG

From the summit the view of Beinn Mheadhoin and Derry Cairngorm reminded me that just a week ago I'd been sunbathing over there. Definitely not an option today - we were just glad that the storm passing over the Lairig Ghru seemed to be heading East not South :o

DSC_0030.JPG
The first snows on Beinn Mheadhoin

DSC_0038.JPG
Storm over the Devils Point.

Back to the col and then away up a track (not marked on the map) rising gently and contouring round towards the dip between Mam nan Carn and Beinn Iutharn Mhor. It's just visible on the next photo but eventually disappeared leaving us to pick our own way round.

DSC_0040.jpg
Beinn Iutharn Mor and Mam nan Carn from the slopes of Carn an Righ

Up to the summit and a nice atmospheric view back over Carn an Righ and Beinn a' Ghlo.

DSC_0047.jpg

By now it was 4 o'clock and this hill is a long way from anywhere. Looking North West made me appreciate what a remote bit of country we were on the edge of. No roads but big enough swallow the Lake District with room to spare. We chatted for a bit to a couple who'd come up from Glen Ey via Carn Bhac then they headed off east and we headed back to the col below Mam nan Carn.

DSC_0044.JPG
The ridge heading East towards Glen Ey

We were going to descend Gleann Taitneach but first we had to make our way round to Loch nan Eun. This had been a favourite haunt of the late Pipe Major Bert Barron whom I had been fortunate enough to become aquainted with through my work many years ago. A renowned and much respected piper and teacher he often visited the Loch, sometimes camping there for a night or two. It inspired him to write the slow air 'Lonely Loch nan Eun' whose haunting strains drifted though my mind as we passed.

DSC_0056.jpg
Lonely Loch nan Eun
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ and Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:28 pm

X - is it Beinn Iutharn Bheag with big brother behind?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby John Burgess » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:39 pm

Ah, clearly too simple :lol:

Got it in one!

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby kinley » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:42 pm

Nice 8)

Lovely pics N to the Lairig Ghru. Always amazes me how small Devils Point and Carn a Mhaim look :D
kinley

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:53 pm

Yes - they really are just minor foothills. There's not much reascent to the Devil's Point either - maybe it will be demoted :o

Another very enjoyable report.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby John Burgess » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Yes - they really are just minor foothills. There's not much reascent to the Devil's Point either - maybe it will be demoted :o

:lol: I guess it depends if the SMC decide they need more than just the demotion of Sgurr nan Ceannaichean to justify getting us to buy a new copy of the tables :shock:
John Burgess

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland