walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fantastic Fersit 5 - Woodsy hits the Century!!

Fantastic Fersit 5 - Woodsy hits the Century!!

Postby dooterbang » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:01 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap, Chno Dearg, Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 26/03/2012

Time taken: 12.15 hours

Distance: 34.5 km

Ascent: 2954m

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Finally a favourable weather window was upon us so with a weeks annual leave i planned various days walking the hills on both sides of the border :shock:

Saturday 24th March i walked/cycled Beinn Bhuide in Argyll, Sunday 25th March i revisited Glenridding in the Lake District to walk Striding Edge and capture a few Wainwrights North of Helvellyn (with the clocks going forward that morning it was a 4am rise!!) and on the 26th March i had been looking at a route which would incorporate Beinn Na Lap at Corrour (i had did the other 2 Munros at Corrour few weeks back from Loch Rannoch) with the 4 Munros surrounding Loch Treig...doing the 5 Munros would also mean my good friend Stevie (woodsy boy) would reach the amazing milestone of 100 Munros 8) .

So Monday came after 2 wonderful days walking/cycling in glorious sunshine where i had witnessed a cloud inversion, had a summit to myself and amazingly scrambled across Striding Edge with not a soul in sight.

I picked Stevie up at 5.15am, at 8.15am we arrived at the car park in Fersit...i had actually felt really tired on this drive and Stevies crap patter wasn't much cop at inducing a caffiene like state, thank god he didnt fall asleep and start snoring though...i had my fair share of that previously :wink:

Our route

Above_Loch_Treig(2).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

At 8.30am we began another epic journey/adventure - Stevie and i had spent 2 days walking in Kintail finishing off the Munros in that area 2 weeks ago and on both days didnt see a damn thing, experienced winds of 60mph and endured the constant lashing of heavy rainfall...today would more than make up for it though :D

From the car park pick up a path and head SW through a forrest and open wet moorland viewing Meall Cian Dearg

I had decided to wear my trail runners knowing full well i would get wet at the start and finish but the pay off would be when up high.

You pass a large concrete pillar before ascending the rocky steep face of Meall Cian Dearg - which was great fun.

This brings you out onto the ridge

Looking NE back down the ridge

Follow the ridge SW all the way to the summit, passing a snow patch

Soon the summit of Stob a Choire Mheadhoin is reached and the views in every direction simply incredible

Continue SW to reach Stob Coire Easain

Only 1km to the summit of SCE which made it easy going, a false sense of security for what lay ahead.

Looking back NE to 1st Munro - Stob a Choire Mheadhoin

It had been pretty easy going covering these 2 Munros but i knew that we had some rocky pathless terrain ahead to reach the banks of Loch Treig below us and the Alt na Lairige.

From SCE follow the ridge South

Finally we reach the river.

Stevie crossed the river when reaching it and fell in soaking his new lightweight goretex sooper dooper boots and socks.
We took a 25 minute break whilst Stevie hung his socks out to dry. I stripped and put a pair of shorts on as the heat was hotter than a vindaloo :shock:

Follow a path on the South side of the river which will bring you out at the head of Loch Treig and Creauaineach Lodge

Creauaineach Lodge

Follow the well constructed path over the bridge

Got chatting to a guy measuring up the bridge who had a big smile on his face...no wonder as this was his job, what a day for it :)

Across the bridge the track leads 2k around the South side of Loch Treig - the views here incredible.

When the Loch is out of view keep to the path 1k SE then 2K East which takes you to a railway bridge.
I was enjoying this little stretch of the walk as the sun was belting down on us...but again i knew it wouldnt be long before the hardest past of the route was upon us.

The Bridge with beinn na lap in the distance - a great place for a food stop.

From the Bridge head East for 1k across the pathless terrain to the shoulder of Beinn na Laps SE ridge then follow this 3k NE to reach the summit. For those who do not wish to include Beinn na Lap simply head North from the bridge to Sron na Gharb Beinn and follow this SE for 5k to the summit of Chno Dearg.

Views SE to Loch Ossian

It was here i met and chatted to a young couple whom had bagged Beinn na lap from Corrour, they looked very happy and seemed to be having a great time in the sunshine....probably surprised to see me with it being a Monday and the trains to Corrour being off.

After a chat i was on my way and soon reached the Summit - Stevie would follow soon afterwards.

It the summit we looked at the map to decide on our route to Munro 4 Chno Dearg. I had decided to take a straight line NW to the top of Meall Garbh with Stevie shortening the ascent by taking a line NNW to Bac na Creige Tarsuinn. If in Clag my line would be better as Stevie had to navigate around some rock.

The pull up to Meall Garbh was over 400M on pathless terrain which looked very steep albeit that it was fine once on it.
It was an awful slog up this and a positive attitude and stamina was required to keep going...i kept at it and was rewarded with a herd of deer cutting across the slopes

Looking back to Beinn na Lap

When i reached the ridge i noticed Stevie about 1k along it and heading to Chno Dearg, defo the quick way he went.

Once on the ridge it was easy going to the summit but i was starting to feel it after the last pull up to the ridge :shock:

We didnt hang around at Chno Dearg and swiftly went on our way heading down the slope 1k SW then across rocky undulating terrain NW for another 1.5k to the summit of Stob coire Sgriodain.

Stevie now had his 100th Munro in sight and appeared to have found some jet propulsion as he soared towards the summit...it was a different story at my end, i was struggling and my pace had slowed considerably!! I felt my body needed food but i wasnt hungry and declined to eat, i just trudged on knowing the summit would soon appear...which thankfully it did :D

Stevie hits the century - well done mate :thumbup:

I reach Munro 189 with Stevie, and probably one of the toughest to date for me.

It was 7pm, the sun was setting and i felt energised again...the views from here astoundingly beautiful...it was time for a photo extravaganza :D :lol:

After slabbering wide mouthed at the views we quickly realised that we would be finishing in the dark, it was now imperative to get onto lower ground before darkness fell as the descent was steep.

We headed North down the ridge 700M then followed a faint path 500M West down some very wet grass laiden with rocks. Once further down head 3K North through open moorland which was very wet and boggy, by this time i wasnt caring about wet feet.

We picked up a path now and again but it was very faint. Darkness was upon us and we donned our headtorches. I had taking a bearing earlier and we followed it till reaching a landrover type track. We then followed this 1k West to the car park, passing some houses on our way.

At 8.30pm we reached the car. We changed and hit the road, stopping at Fort William for sugary drinks, caffiene and chocolate bars.

After dropping Stevie in the East End i eventually got home at 1am :shock: :shock: :? :D

The walk was very hard in places, easy in others, pathless and undulating but we witnessed some breathtaking scenery and felt very remote at times.

Wel done to Stevie on reaching 100 Munros...still elated he managed the gym the next day :shock: 8)

Next for me was my planned trip Wed 28th March to walk the 4 Corbetts on Arran...and also to think about the back dated Trip Reports from the last few months ive still to do, i have been rather busy and distracted.
Last edited by dooterbang on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Fantastic Fersit 5 - Woodsy hits the Century!!

Postby davgil » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Fantastic!
What a walk and great photos...thoroughly enjoyed this :)
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Incredible amount of ascent for a day. Bet your legs were tired afterwards :lol:
Stunning day with great pics!
foggieclimber

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Well done guys on a long day! well done to woodsy on reaching 100. some beautiful pics there ..dont know about the legs in shorts though :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby mrssanta » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Wow that was fantastic. what an epic day. Too long for me, I'd have camped at the bottom end of Loch Treig.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Woodsy Boy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:20 pm

Another good T.R mate but it was far too early in the morning to keep you entertained with my patter haha.

Your photos are nearly as good as mine !
Woodsy Boy
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:12   Donalds:8+3
Sub 2000:8   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:24 pm

Excellent dooters and congrats to woodsy :clap: Great photos but the last few of the sun setting over the loch are just stunning. Have a route worked out for five up here (as an overnighter though) from Corrour (incl three of these munros) but couldn't go last weekend because the trains were off and family stuff kept me in this weekend....when will we get weather like this again :? I'll be looking back at your report again (if and) when I go - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby clivegrif » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Fabulous stuff - and cracking pictures.

Did 4 out of the 5 several years ago - the Easians in the morning, back to Fersit and then up the Chno Dearg pair in the aftenoon (in the murk so appreciate the pics for showing me what I missed!) Did Beinn na Lap from Corrour - because I like trains!

Seeing as you always seem to have brilliant weather, is there any chance you can be in the West Highlands in the last week of May??? :D
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby dooterbang » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:43 pm

davgil wrote:Fantastic!
What a walk and great photos...thoroughly enjoyed this :)
Cheers

foggieclimber wrote:Incredible amount of ascent for a day. Bet your legs were tired afterwards :lol:
The ankles took a battering due yto no ankle support...just makes them stronger :)

mountain thyme wrote:Well done guys on a long day! well done to woodsy on reaching 100. some beautiful pics there ..dont know about the legs in shorts though :)
When will you get them oot MT?

mrssanta wrote:Wow that was fantastic. what an epic day. Too long for me, I'd have camped at the bottom end of Loch Treig.
on a day like that it would be the perfect spot :)

Woodsy Boy wrote:Another good T.R mate but it was far too early in the morning to keep you entertained with my patter haha.

Your photos are nearly as good as mine !
That because i hold the camera for you then let you take over!!

rockhopper wrote:Excellent dooters and congrats to woodsy :clap: Great photos but the last few of the sun setting over the loch are just stunning. Have a route worked out for five up here (as an overnighter though) from Corrour (incl three of these munros) but couldn't go last weekend because the trains were off and family stuff kept me in this weekend....when will we get weather like this again :? I'll be looking back at your report again (if and) when I go - cheers :D
I thought this route would appeal to your goodself...hope you get the weather soon.

clivegrif wrote:Fabulous stuff - and cracking pictures.

Seeing as you always seem to have brilliant weather, is there any chance you can be in the West Highlands in the last week of May??? :D
If i get around to updating my reports you will see how horrendous the weather has been...till last weekend :) .
Edinburgh half marathon last week in May but i am in the Fisherfields the week before that...pencil in a walk now :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby pigeon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:44 pm

Flippin' eck dooter,another monster effort,you struck gold with the weather,well done woodsy on the 100 as well :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Sidewinder » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:21 am

Fantastic report old boy! pictures look amazing, and it looked like you hit the jackpot with the weather, what an epic walk for for Stevie to get his 100th Munro! well done to him.:-)
Sidewinder
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:09 am

Fabulous report of a big walk with some great photos to boot... Awesome!!

Me applaud... :clap: :clap:
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Klaasloopt » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:44 am

Here's the real rambo!
Do send one of these last pictures to the photo competition.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby kevsbald » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:07 am

Superb, Paul. You seem to be reinvigorated - wonder what could be having that effect...... :D
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 am

What a day! Just a superb story :D
I have to do these Munros myself, haven't climbed anything in this area so far. Just... maybe not all in one day...
Looks like on inland hills, the high summits still hold some snow. We were in Assynt again on Saturday, no snow left whatsoever, weather was good enough to have a picnic on the summit of Cul Mor :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland