walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Whin Rigg and Illgill Head from Eskdale Green

Whin Rigg and Illgill Head from Eskdale Green

Postby richardkchapman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:26 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Illgill Head, Whin Rigg

Date walked: 31/03/2012

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 16.6 km

Ascent: 720m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A glorious day, with the weather forecast claiming ZERO chance of any hazards other than sunburn... Decided to make the most of our first day in the Lakes in case the weather didn't last (snow is forecast for Monday...)

P1030862.JPG
Looking down Mitredale to the sea

After walking over to Mitredale from our base in Eskdale Green, the walk starts off through a forest. I was a bit concerned that this would be one of those dark and lifeless conifer plantations, but it was actually a very pleasant broadleaf plantation, at least initially.

P1030864.JPG
Mitredale Forest - bridge over the River Mite

P1030865.JPG
Mitredale Forest - setting off up towards the ridge

After a little while the forest did become conifer, but even then the clearing for the path was wide enough to let in lots of light.

P1030868.JPG
Mitredale Forest - sunlight on conifers

Near the top of the ridge the forest is being harvested and will be replaced with broadleaf.

P1030869.JPG
Mitredale Forest - cleared conifers

Soon we reached the ridge, and were rewarded with some fine views.

P1030870.JPG
Whin Rigg - first view from the ridge

And some chocolate

P1030871.JPG
Whin Rigg - first chocolate stop

The climb up the ridge to Whin Rigg was easy walking on a lovely grassy path. Every so often glimpses of WastWater come into view far below at the foot of the screes.

P1030873.JPG
Whin Rigg - a glimpse of Wast Water

From the top of Whin Rigg the ridge to Illgill Head is easy and a lovely walk

P1030876.JPG
Looking back to Whin Rigg from the ridge

We had been fooled by the weather forecast into travelling light, without waterproofs, and were now starting to regret it, both because of the wind (which was cold, even at this relatively low altitude) and the clouds approaching from the Scafell direction which looked like they might be carrying rain. Fortunately no rain materialized.

P1030877.JPG
Clouds over Scafell

From the summit of Illgill Head the views are spectacular, and they become more spectacular still if you walk 35 yards west to the edge of the drop to WastWater (walking 40 yards rather than 35 is NOT recommended)

P1030879.JPG
View from Illgill Head

P1030880.JPG
View from Illgill Head

From the summit we descended to the pass near Burnmoor tarn, and then along the back of Illgill Head into Mitredale. A lot of the paths in this area are closed for forestry operations, and we ended up diverted through a very muddy cowfield and then through a farmyard where our path was blocked by a very large pig fast asleep against the gate. Eventually the owner turned up and shooed the pig away so that we could continue. A long but easy walk down the track and then the road to Mitredale where we had started, and back to Eskdale Green just in time to get ice creams (and supplies for tomorrow's expedition) from the shop before it closed.
Last edited by richardkchapman on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:95
Wainwrights:211   

Re: Whin Rigg and Illgill Head from Eskdale Green

Postby garyhortop » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Enjoyed the report Richard and some nice pictures and views. Looked like a good day out!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Staying in a cottage at Eskdale Green for a week in July. Certainly be doing that walk.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:47 pm

That looked a good walk and some fabulous views :thumbup:

We're staying in Wasdale at the end of July so, something my husband and elder daughter can do :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby simon-b » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:34 pm

That looks a very pleasant route with plenty of variety. I can imagine the arrival at the edge of the screes after the relatively gentle climb onto Whinn Rigg must have been spectacular.

Two of the fifteen Wainwrights I've yet to do, and two I'm really looking forward to.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:05 am

What a lovely walk in beautiful surroundings, some cracking pics in here too :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dibrooksbank » Mon May 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks for the report. I'm thinking of these 2 as my last 2 Wainwrights (only 7 to go) and that route is definitely favoured as there's nowhere to fall off once I've had my celebratory champagne (provided I don't turn left off the top of Illgill Head!) - I'll try and avoid the field with the pig though.
dibrooksbank
Mountain Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:200
Wainwrights:214   Islands:14

Postby L-Hiking » Tue May 22, 2012 8:03 pm

I agree a nice walk and yet to do these two myself thanks
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland