walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

North Dartmoor - Cranmere Pool and a few Tors

North Dartmoor - Cranmere Pool and a few Tors

Postby garyhortop » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:30 pm

Date walked: 31/03/2012

Time taken: 5

Distance: 22.7 km

Ascent: 611m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As I mentioned in my last post....not one to be fazed by a challenge I decided to go for Cranmere Pool on April Fools day!

Not sure who the fool is though!!

The walk starts at Belstone and I have discovered a place to park by the old pumping station near Belstone Gate on to the Moor. My guess is that come the busier season this won't be possible and you will have to park and start your walk from the village car park! GR OL28 617934

It was a glorious morning so decided to get a wiggle on and take the easiest and most direct route to reach Cranmere Pool and essentially this is via the miltary Roads that exist on this part of the moor as most of this walk comes within the Dartmoor ranges - so remember to check Firing times!! (unlike me at the first attempt! - Lesson learned!)

However, don't be fooled by the track walking as it isn't quite so tedious as you might first expect as the surrounding views up onto the moorland are quite spectacular. You meander along the track between East Mill Tor to the west and Belstone Tor, Oke tor and Steeperton Tor to your east - catching the odd tantalising glimpses of what will follow later.
040.JPG
1. Yes Tor & High Willhays

041.JPG
Oke Tor

Eventually the track starts its climb up towards Okement Hill and as you summit Okement Hill you get some good views across to Yes Tor, High Willhays and the surrounding Moor. There is also an open observation post here as well - so if the weather is bad you can take shelter here for well earned hot drink - tho a cold drink was more in order today!!

044.JPG
5. Artillery Obs Post on Okement Hill

042.JPG
3. Great Kneeset from Okement Hill

You carry on past the summit, stying on the track heading roughly south. You then need to keep your eye open to your right as a somewhat faded track leads off to your right and after a few minutes walking you reach a pool at the end of the track. Here the compass has to come out and you will need to take a bearing and walk that bearing to get across to Cranmere Pool. Luckily today was so clear you could see across to the river valley of West Okement Head. So it was more of a question of reaching the stream and following it up to the head of the valley. A warning tho!...this was still quite boggy even after all the dry weather we have had...so not sure it would be much fun after a week or two or rain!

So after a bit of bog trotting we finally made it to Cranmere Pool....so what's all the fuss!? well none to be frank! The pool was a puddle!! Although that said there is some interesting history here! For those amongst you that have heard of "Dartmoor letterboxing" this was where it all started in 1854 when a Dartmoor Guide called James Perrott of Chagford placed a jar here where visitors who were visiting were able to leave a card to prove they had made it! The game slowly evolved into a real pastime on the moor with literally hundreds placed over the moor now! You can even collect the stamps in each! (Ink stamps that is). It is also supposed to be haunted by the spirit of Benjie Gear who as a punishment was tasked to empty the pool with a sieve (they give some strange punishments in Devon!!). The register here is also the only one that makes its way to Okehampton Museum where they are all kept - so don't forget to sign the book for posterity's sake! (Still can't get the dogs to keep still for a picture!!)

045.JPG
6. Beano & Pickle @ Cranmere Pool

046.JPG
7. Letterbox Contents!

From the pool I headed up onto the "ridge" rather than head back the way I came. I then took an almost straight line to Hangingstone Hill (with a bit more bogtrotting) and made my way up to the bit of a saddle between the two highest points. I headed a little further south to have a look at the memorial stone on the adjacent summit to HH. It is a memorial to the fella that made the peat pass around this summit - I can imagine after alot of rain this place would not be a alot of fun!! Peat pases exist in various places on the moor where the peat is dug out until firm ground is reached to enable (some years ago) cattle and traders and hunters to pass through without disappearing in the bog! The fella that dug this pass was actually responsible for 9 passes on the moor and he passed away (from exhaustion probably) in 1909.

049.JPG
10. Peat Pass Memorial Stone

Following the peat pass and obvious path you circle just below the summit of Hangingstone Hill and then it heads up direct to the top. There are some nice views from the top. You are then essentially going to head back along the Tor line in the direction form which you came (with a few detours in my case!)

052.JPG
13. Steeperton Tor (L) and Cosdon Hill from Hangingstone Hill

From HH head towards Wild Tor and then take the path leading right toward Watern Tor. You drop down into the valley of Watern Coombe and then up the other side (paying attention to the warning signs - just in case you are in any doubt!!) to Watern Tor - probably one of the more spectacular Tors in terms of rock formations!
053.JPG
14. Warning!!

054.JPG
15. Watern Tor

055.JPG
16. Thirlstone on Watern Tor

From Watern Tor take a bearing on Wild tor and head back down the coombe and up the other side following the line of red and white boundary markers (artillery range markers) and then cut up inside them to the summit of Wild Tor.

057.JPG
18. Wild Tor

From Wild Tor you head toward Steeperton Tor dropping down into Steeperton Brook - again like a lot of Dartmoor this area has been mined extensively and there is evidence in the remains of the Tinners old Blowing Houses.

059.JPG
20. Remains of Blowing House below Steeperton Tor

A further climb up leads you onto the summit of Steeperton Tor - again some good views all around here and when you look at the next part of the walk down into Steeperton Gorge...makes you realise what a good idea it was to approach form this side and not the North or West!

060.JPG
21. Summit of Steeperton Tor

061.JPG
22. High Willhays and Yes Tor from Steeperton Tor

You then head down a steep incline into the gorge....I came down a bit too far North so headed up the stream to the old Bridge at Knack Mine and crossed the river here. This looks like quite a nice picnic spot or camping spot if you need it! Apparently the mine was here until the 1870's and the ford is much older having been made by the peat cutters in the area. Its thought to have been a clapper (stone) bridge that collapsed or was washed away after the mine was closed but you can still see plently of evidence of it!
063.JPG
24. Clapper Bridge in Steeperton Gorge - Knack Mine

An obvious path leads up the other side of the gorge and back onto the military road that you follow for a short distance before heading off towards Oke Tor with some interesting rock forrmations on the summit!

065.JPG
26 Unusual Rocks on Oke Tor

From here follow the obvious route onto Higher Tor and Belstone Tor and look out on the western Side of Belstone tor for the "Irishman's Wall". The story goes that sometime in the early 1800's 2 "gentlemen" were wanting to enclose some land on the moor and employed a gang of Irish labourers to build it for them. Local folk viewed this with some distaste and where slightly in awe of the "gang's" ability to work on the moor barefooted in all weather . Eventually the Men of Belstone and Okehampton got together and one night when the wall was nearing completion turned out in force and toppled the wall with "stout wooden poles". Apparently the "gentlemen" and labourers disappeared shortly afterwards! The wall itself stretches about a 1000 yards...no mean feat really!

066.JPG
27. Higher Tor/Belstone Tor

068.JPG
29. Irishman's Wall on Belstone Tor

Finally you drop down back towards Belstone and I took a slight detour off to go and see the Nine Maindens (also known as the seventeen brothers!). These are believed to be the remains of a bronze age burial site - don't count them - you'll get a different answer each time! One Legend has it that the stones still dance, usually at noon, and that they can also be seen to move if atmospheric conditions are right...and it is mentioned in one book I have read that there is photo evidence form 1985 of one of the stones having moved temporarily into the centre of the circle! :shock:

You make your own mind up! Personally...I suspect too much local cider was involved!

A great day out....you could also extend this walk to take in Yes Tor and High Willhays quite easily depending on time, daylight and stamina available! :D
Attachments
069.JPG
30. Nine Maidens on Belstone Common
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Re: North Dartmoor - Cranmere Pool and a few Tors

Postby willywalker247 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:01 pm

Great report Gary. Lot of interesting history some great photos.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby houdi » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Brilliant report, Gary, with some added historical info for good measure. Right up my street this as I live in Newton Abbot and have been to all the places on your walk many many times. Coincidentally, I was also on Dartmoor on Sunday the 1st. Cracking day, although a cold breeze until the afternoon. I did my anual jaunt to Fur Tor, so I was only a little south of Cranmere. Went from the River Lyd car-park behind the Dartmoor Inn on the Tavistock road and my route took me over Brat Tor (Widgery Cross) and Hare Tor, and the River Tavey. Can't believe how dry Dartmoor is at the moment. Only took me 1hr 45 minutes from Fur Tor back to the car as I was able to walk pretty much as the crow flies as there were no boggy bits to avoid. As for Cranmere, they drained the place years ago as cattle kept drowning in there.

Incidentally, I climbed Watern Tor, straight up the right hand stack, in your pic 16, on the extreme left hand side next to the gap. My mate, Stu, went up the easy way and then bottled out of jumping across from one to the other. I like Watern Tor. The layered rocks are pretty ususual even for Dartmoor.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:23 pm

Pleased to read another report on Dartmoor, Gary, and such wonderful weather :D Again, lots of interesting facts as well, thank you. Enjoyed your photos :thumbup:

garyhortop wrote:As I mentioned in my last post....not one to be fazed by a challenge I decided to go for Cranmere Pool on April Fools day!

It was our 40th wedding anniversay on the 1st, just happened to be Easter Saturday the year we got married :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:45 am

Lovely report Gary, full of interesting titbits and bursting with place names that make me yearn for home.....maybe I'll have to come home for a week or two later in the year.......dammit man you could have cost me a fortune :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:39 pm

willywalker247 wrote:Great report Gary. Lot of interesting history some great photos.

Thanks Chris..I am trying to notch up a few trips ready for your next visit!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Right up my street this as I live in Newton Abbot and have been to all the places on your walk many many times.

Hi Houdi...if you ever fancy meeting up at any point for a bit of a wander happy to do so just PM me...or just keep a look out on the Moor for a short fat baldy with a border terrier and a Chihuahua....you don't see many!! :shock:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:44 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Pleased to read another report on Dartmoor, Gary, and such wonderful weather :D Again, lots of interesting facts as well, thank you. Enjoyed your photos :thumbup:

garyhortop wrote:As I mentioned in my last post....not one to be fazed by a challenge I decided to go for Cranmere Pool on April Fools day!

It was our 40th wedding anniversay on the 1st, just happened to be Easter Saturday the year we got married :lol:

Glad you enojyed it Susie and congratulations on the 40th Anniversary!! I think you must be the first person I have come across with a wedding anniversary on the 1st April!!
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:46 pm

ChrisW wrote:Lovely report Gary, full of interesting titbits and bursting with place names that make me yearn for home.....maybe I'll have to come home for a week or two later in the year.......dammit man you could have cost me a fortune :lol:

LOL Chris.....not sure how Dartmoor will compare with Canada and if you do make it home I am always happy to join you on a wander across the moor.....might have to make a reciprocal visit a condition tho!! Always fancied going back to Canada (No Bears or Puma's tho please!)! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby jaybee » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Good to see the north moor again, can't believe how dry it looks.
Moved to Scotland in October after spending a very happy summer tramping all over Dartmoor.
We walked to Cranmere via the Belstone ridge and back the way you walked in last July.
Very different ground conditions though, I was glad of my walking pole to test the depth of the peat bog in places.
It's a great place for walking with some lovely tors and views. Can be quite challenging terrain, especially in poor visibility.
Thanks for the photos and walk description, brought back some good memories. :D
jaybee
Mountain Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby houdi » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:00 pm

garyhortop wrote:Hi Houdi...if you ever fancy meeting up at any point for a bit of a wander happy to do so just PM me...or just keep a look out on the Moor for a short fat baldy with a border terrier and a Chihuahua....you don't see many!! :shock:

Cheers, Gary, I'll definitely take you up on that. It'll be interesting to see a Chihuahua on Dartmoor. Bet it can't get up onto the summit stack on Great Staple Tor :lol:
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby garyhortop » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:00 am

HI Jaybe - glad to hear this brought back some good memories for you!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:01 am

Hi Houdi......think that might be a bit much even for her! Look forwrad to hearing from you in due course! Cheers. :)
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland