walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Horns Herald a double Hundered

The Horns Herald a double Hundered

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 31/03/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1110m

29 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

67,458 meters of acsent.....965 kilometers walked.....£s in fuel dont even want to think how much.....1 torn anterior ligament.....1 fractured heel.....more days spent walking in the clag than I care to remember.....having to turn back and/or missing planned trips for one reason or another, too many to mention.....three & a half years in the making,this does not even begin to tell half the story,but one person above all else has been with me from the start,my wife Elizabeth,the most amazing woman any man could ever wish for.Why,well she has been my rock,when it should have been the other way round this last three years,people on this site who know me best,alan s,stretch,polly,jb likes a beer will know what has been going on for the last 3 years,3 years of battling breast cancer,having open heart surgery to remove a blood clot,also having an emergency operation to remove most of her main bowel caused by a blood clot,all after affects of chemo therapy,yet all this time Elizabeth was always there,asking how my walks went,always worrying when I was out myself,always there when I got home,no matter how long I had been away,or how late I got home,so none of this would be possible without my wife.

So here was the weekend,the WH Kintail weekend where Alan & me should both reach the landmark of 100 munro"s each,arrived in Kintail around 5pm on fri, where many hands were shook,friends old and new were met and a few drinks were taken before heading for bed around midnight,an alarm call around 5.30am and of we headed to Torridon via the by-pass at Stromeferry(onto the railway line) arriving in the carpark,and walking by 8.30am.The weather at this stage was not too good with cloud hanging low over the 1st view of Tom na Gruagaich
DSCF2133.JPG
cloud on Tom na Gruagaich
Never mind lets hope it gets better,cause the view back down to Loch Torridon was amazing
DSCF2141.JPG
Loch Torridon
Higher up the cloud was clearing now and again giving a 1st view Na Rathanan(horns of alligin)
DSCF2138.JPG
Horns of Alligin
Both Alan and I were building up a sweat by this time as we headed up into Coire nan Laogh
DSCF2142.JPG
Heading to Coire nan Laogh
But this was no hardship because we still had stunning views back to Loch Torridon,where the mixture of sun and cloud made for a fine setting
DSCF2146.JPG
Mean & moody Loch Torridon
And the views in front when we reached the ridge over to Na Rathanan even more mean and moody,raising the hair on my neck and arms
DSCF2147.JPG
The Horns of Alligin
Once you reach the ridge the ridge line it flattens out and in no time the 1st and no 99 summit for Alan & I is reached,where the view is well
DSCF2151.JPG
No 99 Tom na Gruagaich different summit,same view
Never mind we"ll take a food break here,and have 15/20min rest before we move on,eh no we wont,it now starts snowing,so a quick 5min and on we plod heading for the Eag Dubh & Sgorr Mhor
DSCF2154.JPG
Eag Dubh & Sgorr Mhor
The descent is fairly steep and made all the more difficult in the high wind,but at least the snow has gone,and soon we reach the bealach,with the cloud now scurrying over Tom na Gruagaich making our mood as black the clouds rushing by
DSCF2158.JPG
Clouds rushing by
At least we now get a look at the bands of rock that form Beinn Alligin
DSCF2160.JPG
Beinn Alligin
Passing the Eag Dubh(the wall of the whailing)we take a quick look down,or into it but dont get too close incase the a gust of wind comes and sends us down to its murcky depths
DSCF2162.JPG
Eag Dubh
Finally after all the trials and tribulations over the last few years me and Alan arrive at the summit of Sgorr Mhor number 100 for both of us,for both its a fine landmark,we climbed our 1st muno Ben Lomond in jeans and trainers,no map,no compass & no clue,so a big slap on the back for both of us,handshakes are swapped & summit pic is taken in,well
DSCF2167.JPG
Sgorr Mhor 100th with clag & a rockhopper inspired moment
A well errand rest is taken here with both of us chuffed to bits,but a bit **** of with no views anywhere,so much for Alan saying earlier that day"dont worry big man,god will look after us" aye right mate,I do belive, but miracles only happen once evey hunderd or so years.................so guess what.............here"s the miracle,no words will ever explain what happened,or the views that opened up befoe our eye"s,so just enjoy our miracle,hope the pics do it justice.
DSCF2171.JPG
The Horns & Beinn Dearg behind
DSCF2172.JPG
Fisherfield & Letterewe
DSCF2174.JPG
Fisherfield & Letterewe
DSCF2179.JPG
Fisherfield & Letterewe,A"Mhaighdean & Ruadh Stac Mor somewhere there
DSCF2182.JPG
Baobheinn & Slioch behind
DSCF2183.JPG
Slioch right of centre
DSCF2184.JPG
More Horns & Beinn Dearg in background
DSCF2185.JPG
Liathach
DSCF2188.JPG
Back to Tom na Gruagaich
As you can imagine we sat here for over an hour drinking in all that we could see,know one else on the mountain,know one else looking at our views,no sound,nothing,perfect,no perfect is not the word,there is no word,yes Alan your right, god was indeed looking after us this day.

Ah,the "horns",aye still to get over the "horns",been looking at them for a while now,man they look menacing,steep,rocky,exposed (not good with exposed),we could turn round a re-trace our steps,but thats not on,no point in that,lets finish out day on a high,so off down the ridge and our date with the buggers
DSCF2195.JPG
Looking at a Horn
DSCF2196.JPG
Baobheinn from the horns
DSCF2197.JPG
The Horns,Loch Torridon & me
DSCF2199.JPG
Looking back at the 1st Horn
Once over the last Horn,there are huge terraced buttresses to climb down,not seen from the top,but these pose no probs and in no time you are heading home with some wonderful views all around.

Well thats my report,hope you all enjoy it even half as much as we did,and I"ll tell you something about our miracle,it wasnt a miracle,just a stunning day in the mountains,the miracle,my miracle was back home waiting,waiting for me,waiting to see my pics,waiting to hear my story........Thanks.
Last edited by gammy leg walker on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: The Horns Herald a double Hundered

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Still to do these two but i know they're a great choice to choose for your 100th. Congratulations and glad the weather got good for you to see the awesome views in that area :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: The Horns Herald a double Hundered

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:33 pm

well done to you both on getting to 100. I love that area. worth going back to . your pics are good. sorry to hear about Elizabeth :(
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: The Horns Herald a double Hundered(part one)

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Uill, co la breith gu dearbh air 100 ........ and best of luck to your dearest well written a'bhalaich and grand pictures :thumbup:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

The Horns Herald a double Hundered(part two) more pics

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:48 pm

DSCF2213.JPG
Liathach
DSCF2215.JPG
Alan dropping down he terraces
DSCF2216.JPG
Liathach
DSCF2219.JPG
Tom na Gruagaich
DSCF2220.JPG
Sgorr Mhor & Eag Dubh
DSCF2221.JPG
Na Rathanan....The Horns of Alligin
DSCF2222.JPG
Coire Mich Nobuil & Sail Laith,Beinn Eighe
DSCF2223.JPG
Looking across Loch Torridon to Beinn Alligin
Sorry I had to post a 2nd post for more pictures,tried to save to my walks diary only and then press edit,ut still would not allow me to post anymore the 25 pics on one post.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:48 pm

Well done those men! Sorry I never caught you on the Friday GLW. There was this good looking dude with specs on but never saw you.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby monty » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Well done Willie and Alan. What a superb Munro to bag your 100. Some great photos too.

Geeze thats some story in the background. Your good lady must have a heart of gold and the strength of a lion to get through such an ordeal. I do hope she is feeling good today and do wish her all the best for the future.

Hope to meet you and Alan again soon. :D
monty

Postby rockhopper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:52 pm

Many congratulations to you and alan :clap: :clap: - cracking day for it and God must certainly having been looking down on you given the way the weather changed (typical summit pics though... :lol: ). Sorry to hear about your wife and best wishes to you both for the future - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:54 pm

I've been looking forward to this one big man! And I was not disappointed! Great stuff. Rocks come in many forms Willie! All the best to yourself and Elizabeth.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pigeon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:55 pm

Great report gammy and well done both of you on the 100 :clap:Sounds like you and you're wife have had a hard time ,so aw the best to you both :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: The Horns Herald a double Hundered(part two) more pics

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:57 pm

I could sit all day looking at photos of this area, i think it must be my favourite place :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:58 pm

Oh aye. I forgot! Well done to both yersel and the young 'un on the 100! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby davgil » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Excellent, congrats on the 100 8)
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:09 pm

My darling Gammy, what a glorious report.

I'm so pleased that you and Alan had a fantastic day together. You've had so many adventures, mishaps and laughs on the hills and I count myself lucky to have taken part in the latter few.

Congratulations Willie! You're the main man!! Xxxxxx
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: The Horns Herald a double Hundered(part two) more pics

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:14 pm

More fantastic photos!!!!

Any of Alan???
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

29 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland