walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Five Sisters With Many Having a Naughty Weekend

Five Sisters With Many Having a Naughty Weekend

Postby Jockstar » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Route description: Five Sisters of Kintail

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Fhuaran, Sgùrr na Càrnach, Sgùrr na Ciste Duibhe

Date walked: 31/03/2012

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1385m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

P1010883.JPG
The ridge walk seen from Bealach na Carnage
We had been out and about in the hills for the last three weeks trying to get fit for the WH Kintail as we knew that if the weather held that we were going to do one of the most iconic walks in Scotland if not in the UK – The Five Sisters of Kintail. So no pressure then, as having dropped of Ruby (no hills for you this weekend!) we made our way up towards Tyndrum as we couldn’t resist a wee fish supper for lunch at the Real Food Co. :D Setting of again we made our way to Fort William and turned left at Invergarry onto the road to The Kintail Outdoor Centre at Morvich.

P1010831.JPG
Kintail Outdoor Center

We were quickly joined by other WH folk and quickly felt at home in this impressive place that would be the centre for our walks and with the weather set fair and mildy warm it was good walking weather for the Five sisters. After heading down to the Kintail House hotel for something to eat which was very good, the quiz which was brilliantly put together by Mountainstar was upon us and our team came a credible third – sorry third last! It was time to head back and thanks to Radman for picking us up halfway from Kintail Outdoor Centre! A good night sleep was had and then we were off for a 9 o’clock start with for me a mixture of anxiety and excitement as the huge steep faces of Glen shiel was awesome and before long we arrived at the parking spot just beyond the Logging plant.

P1010833.JPG
South Shiel Ridge

From there it was straight up. The steepest ascent myself and Su had made. We were joined by Morecame Monkey (Pat) and Gavin (Gavin 99) and Bod and Val Maclean. These people made our day and we enjoyed their company and help along the way. A great bunch of folk!

P1010834.JPG
On the way up!

P1010835.JPG
Made it! Phew!

We steadily made our way up and the SMC Guide gives an hour to complete that ascent but for mine and Su was more like 2 and a quarter!! We had a brief rest before heading west and the start of the ridge walk.

P1010838.JPG
Bod at the Bealach

Having a look to the right of the Bealach we could see the first Brother with people at the top.

P1010843.JPG
Saileag - the first Brother

P1010844.JPG
Of we head westerly towards the ridge.

P1010852.JPG
Towards Sgurr nan Spainteach

We made good progress across the top of the fine ridge that is called the Sgurr nan Spainteach with little effort.
Stopping for a rest at the top, we scrambled along the ridge as it got more rocky before coming to a halt with the ‘step’ that surprised myself (and Su) which saw Bod carrying Richie down the scramble which meant that there was no excuse for us not to follow.

P1010859.JPG
A rest on Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe

P1010865.JPG
Sgurr na Carnach

P1010867.JPG
A Great Bunch of Guys and Gals

P1010868.JPG
Su in front of the 'step' after her epic descent

Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe was in sight and we had a pull up to our first Munro of the walk. The sheer height and narrow paths made sure that I was concentrating where to put my feet and it was both exhilarating and testing on the stamina to keep ahead of our friends behind us. We kept on and before much longer we had reached the slightly broad summit of Sgurr na Carnach for our second Munro of the walk and great views to Loch Duich.

P1010876.JPG
We reach Sgurr nan Saighead for our 2nd Munro

P1010875.JPG
Scooby reaches for the stars!

Our friends in another group who had already done the Brothers ridge caught up with us and we had a good rest and a blether before we separately went in a more northerly direction which gave us sight as we looked back of the ridge walk we had done and the almost horseshoe path that we took.

P1010884.JPG
Sgurr na Fhuaran

We then headed down to the Bealach na Carnach before climbing the steep path and in places loose stones made sure we had a good footing up to the final Munro.

P1010883.JPG
The ridge walk seen from Bealach na Carnage

This was a good effort given that we had already climbed many tops and Munro’s and the up and down nature tested my stamina no more so that the climb up to the cairn of Sgurr Fhuaran. Along the way Su collected her 30th Munro, I got my fortieth, and Val completed 100 munros on Sgurr Fhuaran and don't forget Richie his 70th which was a great place to get it. Also in the group Bod had achieved 130 and also Gammy had also joined the 100 club. Well done to everyone!

P1010886.JPG
3rd Munro done! Brilliant!

P1010890.JPG
Going down

So with having achieved the 4 sisters we headed down the very steep descent off Sgurr Fhuaran and headed towards Sgurr Nan Saighead before bypassing the peak of Beinn Bhuidhe and followed the path down the ridge, descending deeply to the flat bog of Fasach an t-Searraich before crossing the stream and joining a clear path that will take us down steps to Alt a Chruinn and the end of the walk.

P1010892.JPG
Loch Duich

P1010895.JPG
Nearly there - pour a large one!

DSCF0977.JPG
Panoramic

DSCF0965.JPG
Panoramic

Absolutely tired but with a great sense of achievement we headed up the road towards the outdoor centre. About half a mile down the road Leithy Suburbs stopped in his car and we gratefully got a lift of the last mile to the centre. It was a fantastic day and never to be forgotten. We will be back.......the Brothers are already calling!
Attachments
DSCF0977.JPG
Panoramic
Last edited by Jockstar on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Five Sisters With Many Having a Naughty Weekend

Postby mrssanta » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:37 pm

Great Stuff.
I'd love to have seen Bod carrying Ritchie down the scramble.!!!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby jonny616 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Well done to you & Sue. Them sisters were tough little buggers. Great to share a couple of them with you & the gang 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:40 pm

Some cracking pics there JS :D . I only picked you up as I was worried I might damage my suspension if I ran you over :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Jockstar » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:44 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Some cracking pics there JS :D . I only picked you up as I was worried I might damage my suspension if I ran you over :lol: .

i hope were referring to the bulging rucksacks and not us!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:50 pm

Cracking day JS and great report & pics - the brothers are a breeze after that
Great meeting up with you and Su - look forward to next time
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Valerie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:00 am

Great report and pics Brian. The whole weekend was just amazing and one I will remember for ever. It was great to meet all the old friends as well as the new and I can't wait for the next one ( a wee bird told me Leithy will be posting something soon :D :D :D )
Valerie
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:59
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:89
Wainwrights:182   Islands:16

Postby monty » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:54 am

Great report Jockstar with some excellent photos. "Bod carried ritchie down the scramble." Didnt he carry Sue down with his other arm :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:55 am

Brilliant, i am however very envious as this is the walk myself and Kim would have been on had we been able to make this meet. Good to see you all had a great time and as for the weather, it looked perfect :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:22 am

Great stuff Brian. Much of that looks strangely familiar! :?
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dooterbang » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:28 am

Fantastic day for a most splendid walk...well done to y'all.

I remember that initial ascent as been very steep also and being a hard pull up it.

Cracking photos...very jealous/envious :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby quoman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:38 am

Quality report and excellent picture's. looks like that everybody had a magic weekend.

Can't wait to get up there in may.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mamoset » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:56 am

Excellent report & great photo's. :)

Chris.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Gavin99 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Lovely ,your report sums up the day nicely, great to meet yourself and Sue , what a brilliant weekend !
Cheers , Gavin :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby suhowfar » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Great day had by all :D

Really enjoyed these, thanks to you all (Bri, Bod, Val, Gavin & Pat) for helping me to get to the end :D :lol:
This was a fantastic day with friends old & new, and a few Naughty milestones reached :D

Though I would leave it up to Jockstar to write our report, and quite rightly so as he has captured the day really well in his report with some great photos (I usually do not comment on his posts, but I could not help myself on this occasion as it was such a wonderful day with so many memories I will never forget).

Nothing much else to say apart from great - company, achievements, fun, weekend (thanks Bod & Val for organising it)

Hope to see you all again soon :D :D
suhowfar
Mountaineer

Munros:35   Corbetts:1

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland