walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Sgulaird

Beinn Sgulaird

Postby jimandandrea » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:33 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgulaird

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgulaird

Date walked: 28/03/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1068m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Leaving Glen Etive, where we spent two days we headed round to do Beinn Sgulaird next as our final days walking. Another fine day weather wise. One slight problem - we had not realised we were out of drinking water - not clever. Just before Loch Creran we past a fine place: The Greagan Inn, Appin where I chanced my arm and asked of they would fill out 5l water bottle please. They could not have been friendlier and any more hospitable. I had said I had tried to buy a bottle of beer in Ballachuilish and was unable due to the licencing laws. I then asked for two shots in my coffee - sorry my friend, licencing laws we cannot sell booze before 12.00!! I meant 2 shots of coffee!! :lol: :lol:
Sorted, we were off. Parked at Druimavuic and followed the path up through the trees, out of the forest, followed by a bit of track till we found the cairn that marks the start of the path.
The path was very clear all the way up. A few descents which we then had to reascend but they were all straight forward. Once again we were blessed with another great day and a bit clearer than the previous day.
We opted not to retrace our steps but went North after the summit and thought we may find a path to descend - we didn't but made our way, as instructed by Cicerone to the old stone shieling at 03256 46491 then via a small track that took us through some boggy ground to Taraphocain, onto a track then back to the van by road.
A good days walking with some grand views all around of where we had been in the last few days.
The track after the forest

The first wee lump.

Beinn Sgulaird and Meall Garbh

Looking onto Ben Cruachan

Prog Rock

Looking back to the sea from the summit (almost)

Almost there

Beinn Sgulaird (937m)

The descent: no path but a straightforward one

and finally, we were back in the van having something to eat and looking out at a fine fine evening.

So that was it for March: another 5 done but quite different from the 5 in February.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Beinn Sgulaird

Postby ScottishLeaf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 pm

Looks fantastic, definitely going to put this one on the to do list!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby jimandandrea » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:14 pm

ScottishLeaf wrote:Looks fantastic, definitely going to put this one on the to do list!

You will really enjoy it. The views out to sea are amazing. On hindsight I think we should have gone back the same way we came up as you get the views for longer.

Andrea
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Postby dogplodder » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Did this one back in 2000 on a scorching day in July. I remember well all the ups and downs of the ascent and wondering if there was another way off the hill. We opted for descending to the east then south (no path until you reach a vehicle track heading west) but think your way might have been better.

Love your photo of the evening sky! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby blanchie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:38 pm

On my way off BF I thought I spied a decent path heading up from Glenure to the south, then contouring across and towards the col between Meall Garbh and Sgulaird. Certainly looks feasible on a map. Has anyone gone this way?
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:73
Wainwrights:115   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:15 pm

some cracking clarity in those pics - cheers :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:17 pm

What beautiful photos J&A and what a lovely hike the pano (pic7) is stunning :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jimandandrea » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:29 pm

ChrisW wrote:What beautiful photos J&A and what a lovely hike the pano (pic7) is stunning :D

Thanks Chris, we have been enjoying your Canadian walk reports. Your photos on your latest one Prairie Creek circuit were stunning. :)
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland