walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Derry Cairngorm Murdos

Derry Cairngorm Murdos

Postby Alastair S » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Route description: Beinn Mheadhoin & Derry Cairngorm, Deeside

Munros included on this walk: Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 04/03/2012

Time taken: 8.25 hours

Distance: 36.6 km

Ascent: 1210m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walking 10.6km, 5hr 20min
Cycling 26.0km, 2hr 55min

20120304.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Derry Cairngorm profile.JPG

I was going to title this report something like 'Farewell to Winter' but given the recent arctic blast I would have been a bit premature. Anyway this is from early March. I may have recently done all of the Cairngorm Munros but there were still lots of parts of this National Park I haven't visited and high on this list was Glen Derry. I also wanted to re-visit Derry Cairngorm as I didn't get extensive views on my previous visit. And while I'm at it I may as well bag myself a few Murdos.

The day didn't get off to a great start what I can only put down to a senior moment. I guess I've only got more of these to look forward too :lol: I set off on my MTB from the Linn of Dee car park at 7:30 and as usual went along the road to the start of the track. Here I got my camera out of my rucksack to take a few photos of this track for andrewjeffrey52 (Wheelchair Access). Once I got to where the footpath joins the track I packed the camera away for the cycle up the glen and as I did so noticed that my cycle lock was missing. I was sure I'd put it in the main compartment of my bag but I couldn't now find it. Furthermore I'd heard something when first took my camera out but only had a quick look around at the time. So it was back down the hill to have a proper search. Ten minutes later still no joy so back to the car I went. Not there either. Back to the start of the track for another five minute search with the same result. So off I went with half an hour waisted and grumpy. Had another search around on the way back too. And next day as I tidied everything away there it was in the wee top compartment where I keep my spare gloves & hat. D'oh!

Anyway I managed to cycle about 13km to the small deer fenced plantation around NO 036979 (taking 1hr 40min). I pushed the bike though this bit of sparse pine woodland but the path on the other side was pretty rough so (not having a lock) I hid the bike some way off the track and removed the wheel quick release spindles. The crossing of river (Glas Allt Mor) was a doddle and it wasn't too long till the Hutchinson Memorial Hut came into view. Stopped here for a bit to eat (no one at home) and then up to Loch Etchachan. A dusting a recent snow slowly deepening as I made my way up. Meet a late rising wild camper at Loch Etchachan and after a brief chat made my way to the Murdo & Munro Top of Creagan a' Choire Etchachan. It was still fairly overcast at this point (though it was above the tops) so at first I headed for the other Murdo of Sgurr an Lochan Uaine. But it started to brighten up a bit so I changed my course to the Derry Cairngorm. Arrived a few seconds before a couple from Aberdeen coming up the other way. With hardly any wind and slowly clearing skies sat around the top for a good twenty minutes chatting and admiring the views.

Hut And Cliff
The Hutchinson Memorial Hut nestled below the cliffs of Creagan a' Choire Etchachan.

Carn & Loch Etchachan
View NW from the east end of Loch Etchachan where it flows out of the coire. Carn Etchachan is a Munro Top of Ben Macdui, the parent top being out of view to the left. Original (1800 x 900) size here.

Loch Etchachan
View across Loch Etchachan to the cliff below the Murdo of Carn Etchachan.

Loch Etchachan Outflow
View SW from the outflow of Loch Etchachan with the snowy plateau of Beinn a' Bhuird in the distance.

Cairngorm From Cairngorm
Loch Etchachan, Cairngorm and some of Beinn Mheadhoin (on the right) from the Munro Top & Murdo of Creagan a' Choire Etchachan, a subsidiarity peak of Derry Cairngorm.

Creagan a' Choire Etchachan Panorama
View north from the Murdo of Creagan a' Choire Etchachan. Original (1800 x 900) size here.

The Devil [Take Two]
Another take on one of my favourite photos. Quite interesting but not destined to become a favourite of mine. This was take about a kilometre north of last year's shot (i.e. just north of the summit of Derry Cairngorm). I did take another from the summit but the Carn a'Mhaim ridge was even less distinct than this one.

ImageDevil
From 26 Feb 2011. Taken from the summit of Derry Cairngorm during a brief lull in the snow showers that effected me that afternoon.

Beinn Mheadhoin From Derry Cairngorm

Derry Cairngorm Panorama
View NE along Derry Cairngorm's broad (and very rocky) summit ridge. This panorama encompasses around 160° with Carn Toul on the left (west) and Beinn Mheadhoin on the right. Original (1800 x 900) size here.

Carn Toul From Derry Cairngorm
Carn Toul, Sgor an Lochain Uaine (aka The Angel's Peak) and a bit of Braeriach behind the Sron Riach spur of Ben Macdui with one of three Lochan Uaines in the area (or four if you include the one near Glenmore Lodge) nestled below Sron Riach. Taken from the summit of Derry Cairngorm.

Derry Cairngorm
View SE from the summit of Derry Cairngorm to a secondary cairn (that guides walkers taking the southern approach).

Next it was Sgurr an Lochan Uaine. Great views down Glen Derry and a close encounter with a ptarmigan, but I don't have a huge zoom so no decent photo. I wasn't too sure of the next part as I hadn't seen any reports of people descending directly to the Hutchinson hut directly from Derry Cairngorm. I made my way to the edge of the coire and at first it looked awfully steep. But on the other side of the stream it wasn't so bad. A few scrambly bits (had to stop here to take the rainbow photo) and there was soon the making of a path which later become clear and took me to said hut. Not much else to report really - just another great Cairngorms day :)

Flickr set over here.

Glen Derry From Sgurr an Lochan Uaine
Sgurr an Lochan Uaine is a subsidiary peak of Derry Cairngorm and is classified as a Murdo - which is a Scottish mountain over 3000ft (914.4m) in height, with a drop of at least 30 metres (98 feet) on all sides.

Glen Derry
View south down Glen Derry from near Sgurr an Lochan Uaine.

Derry Cairngorm From Sgurr an Lochan Uaine

Stob Coire Etchachan
Stob Coire Etchachan and its parent Munro (Beinn Mheadhoin) from near the Munro Top (& Murdo) of Sgurr an Lochan Uaine (which is NE of Derry Cairngorm's summit). The Lairig an Laoigh pass is on the right. Original (1800 x 900) size here.

Hutchison Rainbow
Rainbow over Stob Coire Etchachan (a minor peak of Beinn Mheadhoin). The rather basic bothy of the Hutchison Memorial Hut is just about visible near where the right hand side of the rainbow touches down.

Hutchinson Memorial Hut
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Derry Cairngorm Murdos

Postby tony.cee » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:21 pm

awesome photos. the one with the rainbow is an absolute belter. i take it you use rather expensive camera equipment?
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Musicfinder » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Spectacular photos Alastair! Another entry for my growing list of areas of Scotland to visit, at this rate I need to retire to Scotland to visit them all. :lol: Again, my compliments on all the work involved in these images.
Musicfinder

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Fantastic photos of a stunning hike/bike Alastair, love the senior moment at the start of the hike.....I guess we are all heading in the same direction :shock: ............ :lol: :lol: all the pics are great but the panos are outstanding :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alan S » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:26 pm

Cracking pics as always Alastair, Always good too see your reports 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Ranger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:08 am

Excellent snaps, your pic of the summit of Derry Cairngorm looks terrific :D
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby simon-b » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:12 pm

The Cairngorms don't look like that from the A9!

I've not seen them from the Braemar side yet, but I'm hoping to climb some of these mountains from this side in Summer. Your photos have made me look forward to that even more, I just hope the views are as clear as yours.

So this report has been very useful, as has your 2010 Ben Avon - Beinn a' Bhuird post. You said that descent from B.a' Bh. wasn't the best - would you now recommend ascending that way instead and doing Ben Avon second?

Cheers :thumbup:
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Torridon_snails » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Wonderful report, as always - you must have put quite a bit of thought into planning the route etc. for that walk, too, and your photos are simply breathtaking. We had a summer outing up Glen Derry to Beinn Mheadoin years ago, which was nice but it didn't look anything like that!

Best wishes,

Daniel and Clare
Torridon_snails
Hill Bagger

Munros:22   Corbetts:9
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:2   

Postby ScottishLeaf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:52 am

Cracking report, looks amazing up there.
Daft newbie question for you, the photos labelled 'devil.' Is it the huge truncated spur that's called that in the centre that's called that? Could imagine one easily just walking off that! ** weeeeeee bye bye***
For me the Devils are an ice hockey team from Cardiff lol
Amazing report and great pics, thanks for sharing.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby Alastair S » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:50 am

Thanks all :D

simon-b wrote:So this report has been very useful, as has your 2010 Ben Avon - Beinn a' Bhuird post. You said that descent from B.a' Bh. wasn't the best - would you now recommend ascending that way instead and doing Ben Avon second?

I took a route down that was close to the edge of the coire in the hope of getting better views. However there were large boulders here so it was slow going. The going looked a easier further west. Going up this section would make it a bit easier. Don't forget to take spare socks for the river crossing (Quoich Water).

ScottishLeaf wrote:Cracking report, looks amazing up there.
Daft newbie question for you, the photos labelled 'devil.' Is it the huge truncated spur that's called that in the centre that's called that? Could imagine one easily just walking off that! ** weeeeeee bye bye***

"The Devil" is The Devil's Point, aka Bod an Deamhain. I've said what the various bits of mountain are in view on the Flickr page.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby simon-b » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Alastair S wrote:Thanks all :D

simon-b wrote:So this report has been very useful, as has your 2010 Ben Avon - Beinn a' Bhuird post. You said that descent from B.a' Bh. wasn't the best - would you now recommend ascending that way instead and doing Ben Avon second?

I took a route down that was close to the edge of the coire in the hope of getting better views. However there were large boulders here so it was slow going. The going looked a easier further west. Going up this section would make it a bit easier. Don't forget to take spare socks for the river crossing (Quoich Water).

ScottishLeaf wrote:Cracking report, looks amazing up there.

"The Devil" is The Devil's Point, aka Bod an Deamhain. I've said what the various bits of mountain are in view on the Flickr page.

Thanks, Alastair, I've already had fun with one river crossing this year.

I've also got good old Bod an Deamhain left to do, having missed it when I did Cairn Toul - Braeriach. So I'll probably climb it from this side, remembering not to walk off it, ScottishLeaf.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby MusicalHiker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:38 pm

Absolutely stunning photos - I've been looking through all your reports just for the pics!!! I fancy Derry Cairngorm, but it's a bit of a remote one and I'm a girl with a boyfriend who has bad knees - I do my longer hikes alone and haven't had the courage to try this one yet. Your photos make me want to do it even more......
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Postby Lastofthesummerwine » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:43 pm

The pics are amazing, I have set the one of the hutchison hut as a screensaver because it seems to hint of spring days not too far away
Lastofthesummerwine
Mountain Walker

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland